Quick question about being a Train Operator, (EXAM 8098)

omniconn

Hello all,

I made a quick answers key check with my pink sheet keys for the train operator 8098 test. Projected score is 91.25+5(resident credit)= [96.25]

Question 1: How long should I expect to be called?

Question 2: Is it ok to file taxes thats were off the books for year 2003-2006 since I wrote it in the employment experience sheet. (I was working full time while in college and didn't know much about taxes back then, and the place I work before is now out of business)

Question 2A: Or I don't need to worry about it since the MTA don't check SSA work history?

Thank you for reading

See bold blue

Hello all,

I made a quick answers key check with my pink sheet keys for the train operator 8098 test. Projected score is 91.25+5(resident credit)= [96.25]

Question 1: How long should I expect to be called?

Depends on how many took the promotional test (they get called before open competitive) as well as what your list number is, but I'd say at least 3 years.

Question 2: Is it ok to file taxes thats were off the books for year 2003-2006 since I wrote it in the employment experience sheet. (I was working full time while in college and didn't know much about taxes back then, and the place I work before is now out of business)

You will likely have to refile and pay what you owe.

Question 2A: Or I don't need to worry about it since the MTA don't check SSA work history?

You most certainly DO need to worry about it

Thank you for reading

Thanks for the answers above.

Not 100% sure but don't DCAS always give 5 points if you live in NYC?

Not for MTA test. Since you don't need to live in NYC to have these jobs. MTA dcas test are not like other's. And the notice of examination does not say anything about residency credits.

It's been said on here to put down supported by parents or living off savings instead of listing any off the books jobs you have had. Not sure though how it would look if somebody put down unemployed for the last 10 years, that would raise a red flag wouldn't it? Other than T/O where you need verifiable work experience, a person's work history isn't the most important factor in the hiring process in my opinion.

You put off the book jobs on your history? Good luck with that.

I didn't it on the employment sheet that those was off the books but I did put it as Full Time for 3 years, I was thinking about refile those taxes that was missed while I'm waiting for the score notice.

The work I did at this travel agency for a year was off the books but I filed it in my taxes. I didn't really owe anything since I have a student status.

Thanks for the info all,

And does anybody know what are the vision requirements are?

Is it loose like the NYPD 20/100 or tight like NYS Court Officer 20/40? :confused:

• 3 weeks later...

Does working as an "independent contractor" count as work experience? I was paid in cash for close to 3 years off the books and now I think I should refile taxes for those years as an independent contractor so it can be verified by the MTA. Is this possible? I believe I would have to pay 15% of my salary for those years back to the IRS,but I think it would be worth it if I can get the TO job

Does working as an "independent contractor" count as work experience? I was paid in cash for close to 3 years off the books and now I think I should refile taxes for those years as an independent contractor so it can be verified by the MTA. Is this possible? I believe I would have to pay 15% of my salary for those years back to the IRS,but I think it would be worth it if I can get the TO job

Of course working as an independent contractor counts as work experience - otherwise people who free-lance would never have any work experience. What you (and your employer) did was wrong - no taxes or social Security was paid for those years. If you refile, you'll owe 15% for FICA, plus the usual assortment of taxes, fines and interest. You'll also trigger an audit of your former employer - and he/she/they ain't gonna like that.

Of course working as an independent contractor counts as work experience - otherwise people who free-lance would never have any work experience. What you (and your employer) did was wrong - no taxes or social Security was paid for those years. If you refile, you'll owe 15% for FICA, plus the usual assortment of taxes, fines and interest. You'll also trigger an audit of your former employer - and he/she/they ain't gonna like that.

I don't have to reveal the real amount of money i receive those years since it's all in cash, I know it's wrong but I think i will report a lower amount so I don't pay an exhorbitant amount in fees. Will my employer be notified and be aware of an audit if it happens? As an "independent contractor" he is not subjugated to paying social security or taxes for me...only I am for myself.

I don't have to reveal the real amount of money i receive those years since it's all in cash, I know it's wrong but I think i will report a lower amount so I don't pay an exhorbitant amount in fees. Will my employer be notified and be aware of an audit if it happens? As an "independent contractor" he is not subjugated to paying social security or taxes for me...only I am for myself.

It will be an audit of your employer that will happen, so of course he will be notified.

If you claim you received money from a company, the IRS expects that company to have some record of it being disbursed. Since you were given cash, the company has no record of it. If you lie to the IRS about spending money, you must also be lying to them about making it. That is what really pisses off the IRS, since if you don't report the income, you are quite obviously not paying taxes on the income.

Another quick question, :cry:

If the projected wait time is 3 years for the hiring process, even for people scored high 90s. Can I listed that as extra work experience if I don't have enough currently?

Thanks again

Another quick question, :cry:

If the projected wait time is 3 years for the hiring process, even for people scored high 90s. Can I listed that as extra work experience if I don't have enough currently?

Thanks again

No...the cut off for the 5yrs requirement was the last day of the filing period for the exam...since it was extended from the original date, that means only work experience through the first week of April 2009 can count towards the requirement

• 3 weeks later...

Archived