What happens to trains when service on the entire line is suspended?

Abba

Many times the MTA writes during a service alert that an entire line gets suspended like the(V) and (W).But does that ever really end up happening? And if yes where do all the trains go during that time? To the yard? Do they sit on tracks?

I think it varies line by line. On a line such as the (G), if service is suspended then trains can sit in the station. since it does not share its tracks from Court Square to Hoyt. On other lines, train my be diverted. It's had for me to say since I always seem to have luck on my side and have never witnessed a situation like this.

In a big enough service disruption, the (W)'s will go to both City Hall Yard, and stage on the middle track on the Astoria Line. Depending on where the problem is, some might even go to CIYD. (V) I'm not sure, but probably just JYD, two remain at 2nd Ave., and those in the middle, not sure.

Both of those lines are short enough where it is easy and more efficient to suspend them, and there are other services covering the staions, which will then have less traffic in the congestion.

The (G) they wouldn't do that, as it is by itself most of the run. They would at least run on sections by short turning, if there was a blockage on the line.

In a big enough service disruption, the (W)'s will go to both City Hall Yard, and stage on the middle track on the Astoria Line. Depending on where the problem is, some might even go to CIYD. (V) I'm not sure, but probably just JYD, two remain at 2nd Ave., and those in the middle, not sure.

Both of those lines are short enough where it is easy and more efficient to suspend them, and there are other services covering the staions, which will then have less traffic in the congestion.

The (G) they wouldn't do that, as it is by itself most of the run. They would at least run on sections by short turning, if there was a blockage on the line.

Unless there's a problem with the (F) in Manhattan, wouldn't they suspend the (G) and have the (F) run along the Crosstown in the meantime then?

Unless there's a problem with the (F) in Manhattan, wouldn't they suspend the (G) and have the (F) run along the Crosstown in the meantime then?

It all depends on where the problem is. Say its between Jay and W4th Street, the (F) might be sent over the (A). Or the (F) could be sent up the (E) into Queens.

It all depends on where the problem is. Say its between Jay and W4th Street, the (F) might be sent over the (A). Or the (F) could be sent up the (E) into Queens.

i remember back in early 2002 when there was a problem on the (F) line for two reasons:

1. (G) was stuck on the switch at 4 Av-9 St and ended up being suspended on the entire line.

2. Power Outage at Broadway-Lafayette St.

Manhattan-bound (F) trains ran on the (W) line (via West End) between Coney Island-Stillwell Av and 59 St-Lexington Av, then on the (R) line to Queens Blvd, then on the (E) line express to Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av/74 St, then regular express service to 179 St-Jamaica. (That trip was fun, lol.)

Coney Island-bound (F) trains ran with major delays and few 34 St-bound (:P(D) trains ran on the (F) line from 34 St-6 Av to Coney Island to replace some (F) service.

(V) was suspended entirely.

i remember back in early 2002 when there was a problem on the (F) line for two reasons:

1. (G) was stuck on the switch at 4 Av-9 St and ended up being suspended on the entire line.

Manhattan-bound (F) trains ran on the (W) line (via West End) between Coney Island-Stillwell Av and 59 St-Lexington Av, then on the (R) line to Queens Blvd, then on the (E) line express to Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av/74 St, then regular express service to 179 St-Jamaica. (That trip was fun, lol.)

Coney Island-bound (F) trains ran with major delays and few 34 St-bound (:P(D) trains ran on the (F) line from 34 St-6 Av to Coney Island to replace some (F) service.

That is one sick GO.:rock:

Many times the MTA writes during a service alert that an entire line gets suspended like the(V) and (W).But does that ever really end up happening? And if yes where do all the trains go during that time? To the yard? Do they sit on tracks?

In the case of the V, 2 trains would be held at Second Ave. Since they always have a drop back crew, 3 crews would have to be held there. As for the other trains, crews take them to Jamaica Yard and sit on them till service resumes. Once I witnessed when service was actually resumed: one lite V from the yard go in service at Fifth Ave. (at which time they resume from Second Ave.), next lite one from the yard in service at Queens Plaza, the 3rd one regular out of Continental with the remaining trains coming out of the yard. Naturally when that happens, crews are out of place but that has nothing to do with the operation of service when it resumes.

Coney Island-bound (F) trains ran with major delays and few 34 St-bound (B)(D) trains ran on the (F) line from 34 St-6 Av to Coney Island to replace some (F) service.

DANNNG! That must have been fun :P

Archived