Has anyone ever actually rode on the culver shuttle?

Harry

I was wondering if anyone actually ever rode the culver shuttle thru the Ft. Hamilton & 13th Avenue stations? I was born the year after it was abandoned in 1975.

I grew up in a building behind the elevated tracks on 38th street. Once in awhile as kids me and my friends would climb up onto the abandoned Ft. Hamilton station and hang out up there.

I always wondered what it was like to see service at the station.

No, everything is completely gone. They built condos between Fort Hamilton Parkway and 12th Avenue, and from 12th onto Dahill Road are parking lots and storage yards for trucks.

The culver shuttle turnout still exists. It's only a couple of feet long. You can see it just before the Ditmas Avenue station. It can seen better from street level.

• 1 month later...

Hi and figure it out how old I am and yes I rode the Culver Shuttle from Ditmars to 9th Ave and they wear the old trains and you can see them on the NYCSubways and they were downstairs and if I am not mistaken the TT went from CI to 9th ave Mario :)

Hi and figure it out how old I am and yes I rode the Culver Shuttle from Ditmars to 9th Ave and they wear the old trains and you can see them on the NYCSubways and they were downstairs and if I am not mistaken the TT went from CI to 9th ave Mario :)

I knew there had to be someone that has ridden the Culver shuttle. Can you tell us a little more about it? Any special memories you have of the line?

Wow man you're old! Nah just kidding sir.

Hi and I will be 54 and I was on the shuttle while school was on. Not to much except the subway cars were really old and the doors not outside between cars or like the cab they were in with passenger put the key in between the doors open and close then and it had no route sign that is it. Oh I live around Dyker Hts. Mario :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Whoa, no one has posted here in almost 2 years :eek:

Does anyone remember when the BMT 5 still existed? Where the Culver line went down to 9th Avenue then though the 4th Avenue line into Manhattan? Does anyone remember el service from the 5th avenue el onto the Culver line?

The connection of the BMT Culver line at Ditamas Ave to the IND church Avenue station didn't happen until 1954. When that connection was made, the Culver line lost the connection to the rest of the BMT, and the rest became a mere shuttle. Here is a picture to see what was like before 1954.

PICTURE TAKEN AT DITMAS AVE

img_87028.jpg

It's interesting to see how these shuttles are born in the system. The Franklin Shuttle has a similar history; it was once connected to the Fulton El, then relegated to shuttle service after the Fulton was torn down.

It's interesting to see how these shuttles are born in the system. The Franklin Shuttle has a similar history; it was once connected to the Fulton El, then relegated to shuttle service after the Fulton was torn down.

Yeah, and before 1920 (before 7th avenue and Atlantic Avenue stations were built on the Brighton line) the Brighton line used to operate on those shuttle tracks to the Fulton el and then cross the Brooklyn Bridge to Park Row terminal.

Does anyone know why they torn down the BMT Culver instead of building a crossover with the IND?

:mad::mad::mad: This makes me really mad.

Anyway, the reason why those A*holes felt the need to tear down the Culver is because people in the city govt. (such as mayor hylan :mad::tdown:) hated private operation and wanted the BMT and IRT out of business. They felt their IND lines were superior to all other BMT/IRT lines and used eminent domain to take over the BMT/IRT lines and teat them down. Anyway, Mayor Hylan wanted the IND to reach Coney Island. Now, instead of building thier own line, they have to steal the BMT's line :mad::tdown:. Anyway, they built the IND Brooklyn subway up to Church Avenue. They were not going to do it right away, but they planned to 'recapture' the Culver line by connecting their subway to the BMT culver. WWII came along, and they could build the ramp to the Culver line. After WWII, plans were put back on the table to 'recapture' the Culver line. By 1954, the ramp was completed and connected to the Culver line, and the IND had their stupid pride :mad:. The rest of the line was made into a shuttle.

You know, years before the IND Fulton line was built, the BMT had plans to strengthen their el on Fulton street for Steel subway cars and they planned to connect it the DeKalb Avenue corridor to get to Manhattan. But Mayor Hylan refused to let that happen.

The Culver Shuttle would have been great in today's socitey as to give passengers a chance to connect the (D) with the (F) without having to take the (R) to 4th Avenue and walking up those mile-high stairs. It could have ran R68s like the Franklin or even 4 car R46s or R32s and all the station would be rehabed so the former "Northbound" side could be an elevated park and the platforms would have stores and stuff as the Shuttle rumbled along the southbound side. The El can probably be also rehabed to make it quieter just like the rest of West End during the 80's. Tearing it down was a very dumb idea. If only I was born and old by 1975 so I can stick it to the MTA dummies.

The Culver Shuttle would have been great in today's socitey as to give passengers a chance to connect the (D) with the (F) without having to take the (R) to 4th Avenue and walking up those mile-high stairs. It could have ran R68s like the Franklin or even 4 car R46s or R32s and all the station would be rehabed so the former "Northbound" side could be an elevated park and the platforms would have stores and stuff as the Shuttle rumbled along the southbound side. The El can probably be also rehabed to make it quieter just like the rest of West End during the 80's. Tearing it down was a very dumb idea. If only I was born and old by 1975 so I can stick it to the MTA dummies.

Tearing it down was not a dumb idea since by the time that was done, it would have taken alot of money to restore it. From what I have read, the whole line was a track condition waiting to happen. The TA did not have the money and made it last as long as they could then ended service once it was no longer safe to do so. As far as I an cincerned, the IND take over of the Culever line was the best thing to happen to it. It gave 6th and 8th Ave riders an line to Coney Island.

As far as I an cincerned, the IND take over of the Culever line was the best thing to happen to it. It gave 6th and 8th Ave riders an line to Coney Island.

Wow, really? The Chystie street connection does just that. Hence the (:D train on the Brighton and the (D) on the West End. So, we already have that. In addition, the IND could have built their own line. Why do they have to compromise the Culver line?

Wow, really? The Chystie street connection does just that. Hence the (B) train on the Brighton and the (D) on the West End. So, we already have that. In addition, the IND could have built their own line. Why do they have to compromise the Culver line?

How does the chrystie street connection provide access to CI for the 8th ave line? The transfer at Jay is more useful from 8th avenue, because if you are making the case that W4 is the connection (in which case the chrystie street connection is irrelevant anyway), then service at any 8th ave stations south of that would require an 8th avenue rider to backtrack to get service to CI (or use the IRT :P right Matted? - and make a second connection at Atlantic).

Archived