Cuts the MTA is likely to implement next year

Harry

I'll be honest. Never been on an Express bus. I just check the schedule it runs on.

And where does it say that the t/a is gonna knock out all express buses:confused:

back on point & not trying to start an agrgument but mark are you in favor of canning all nyct/(MTA)

express buses including ones from queens and staten island far away from the subway?

i am not sure mark you been on an manhattan express bus but staten island routes like the x1, x10, x17 and in the bronx the bxm7 coop city does get sro crowded on occasion. also when i still was in the 'city' during rush hours the BXM11 would be filled to capacity bronx-bound even with this route parrell the (2) and (5) lines most of the route.

i do agree with mark and others that low usage lines such as weekend service the BXM4a(bedford park line) bxm6 parkchester and the bxm2(west midtown/west side) if needed should be canned. even a nyctrf regular like grand concourse admits there a need for most of the express bus lines during at least rush hours.

reactions?

I'll be honest. Never been on an Express bus. I just check the schedule it runs on.

And where does it say that the t/a is gonna knock out all express buses:confused:

mark before you suggest cutting express bus lines please look at the ridership data even if you never been on it. as i stated before, i do agree weekend service on several bronx/manhattan (MTA)express bus service if needed should be canned.

Bx4's ridership is pretty stable and heavy during peak periods. Yes it Parallels subway lines but besides ADA issues and the route's high peak ridership, I know so many people along (6) route that use the Bx4 to connect to the Hub and stops along the (2)(5) line. The bx4 is much more useful then other routes that aren't on the chopping block.

Bx14 I understand why this route may possibly be eliminated. Ridership is visibly low during non peak hours but I think the frequency matches the ridership. I'm in agreement maybe the route needs be tweaked or re-routed to operate more efficiently as stated but not eliminated.

Bx20 I've always looked at this route on the map and wondered why it was still in existence. Possibly the 20 can be altered to operate peak times only or just add extra Bx7's.

Bx34 Once again I understand why the the 34 is endangered. Operating very close to the Bx1/2 Between Fordham Rd. and Bedford Park and operating along the same route as the bx 16 between Bainbridge/ 205 St. Sta. and E233/ Katonah and now due to a recent route change of the Bx31, it is no longer the only route operating along Katonah Ave. in Woodlawn. But the route still does serve a purpose with pretty steady ridership. Recently during afternoon peak I've used the route and the bus was packed. The route does run 24 hr. and that's definitely not necessary but complete elimination shouldnt be allowed to happen.

I agree with your statements. For the Bx4, many riders get on the bus in Soundview or Parkchester, to get off at Southern Blvd to take the (2) and (5), eventually transferring to the (4) to reach the Western Bronx without setting foot in Manhattan. In addition, I've seen many students take the Bx4 to transfer to the Bx11 and Bx35 to get to schools like Morris HS, Taft HS, Bathgate HS Campus, among others.

For the Bx34, the biggest argument supporting this bus is the fact that it connects the heart of Woodlawn (Katonah Av) to the (4) train and the Northwest Bronx (such as Riverdale, Bedford Park, and Norwood). Not to mention most of the major hospitals and schools are in those neighborhoods. However, I've seen that the biggest ridership does not come from Woodlawn, but from areas south of the (D) line, particularly between Montefiore Hospital and Fordham Road. Since the (D) does not run frequently and most of its Bronx stations are in bad condition, riders in Fordham and Bedford Park often take the Bx34 since it runs pretty decent.

As for the Bx20, I would simply reroute the Bx7 via Kappock St and extend the Bx1 to 246th St via Riverdale Av to provide more service from Kappock St to the (A) train at 207th St. That connection is the main reason why the Bx20 exists in the first place (and to shorten the M100 back in 1989).

well said. if the (MTA) must make cuts on local buses citywide that run near subway lines that are not ada-compliant ie Bx4=(6) Q56=(J)(Z) B37=(R)

B25=(A)(C) it should be overnights only when only a handful of wheelchair riders maybe using the bus. in that case, the city could pay for taxifares since i dont think access a ride operates overnights.

The Bx4 doesn't run overnights, neither does the M6 and 10

Archived