NJT lines, equipment & ridership

Tracknut

Because of this website I'm starting to get curious about New Jersey Transit and its equipment. I read up on some internet articles and such but there's so much more that I can learn about it here.

First, using the NJT smilies can someone give me a list of the busiest lines from the most busiest to the least busiest and the equipment used on the those particular lines. There's quite a few people here that are knowledgeable about each line to put together a decent breakdown of the entire system.

Thanks in advance.

:nec: Is currently the most busiest line. It runs from Penn Station to Trenton and serves many busy cities (Newark, Elizabeth, New Brunswick, Edison, and Trenton. It composes of manily Arrow III MU car and few push pulls for expresses.

:njc: Is second as it's very popular with the growing Monmouth County. It runs from Penn Station to Bay Head but, since the electrification only goes to Long Branch some if not most trains require a transfer.

:nec: the busiest line in the system(100,000 trips a day/50,000 riders).....mostly Arrow's and Mixed Pushpull Sets...and three Multilevel sets

:me: the 2nd busiest line in the sytem(50,000 trips a day/roughly 26,000 riders).....ALL TYPES of equipment except Mutilevels(which should be arriving soon)

:njc:3rd busiest line(32,000 trips a day/16,000 riders)...mostly push-pull electric and diesel sets(once in a blue moon you may catch an Arrow set on a South Amboy Local)....also on set of Multi-Levels

:rvl::mb: (I dont know which line is busier but both see about 20,500 trips a day/roughly 10,250 riders)...:rvl: sees mostly mixed pushpull diesel sets,:mb: sees the same with alot of trains using the older Comet I and IB equipment

:mbl:6th busiest line(12,500 trips a day/roughly 6,200 riders a day).....all types of equipment up to Montclair,than Northwest of MSU its mostly short diesel sets utilizing old Comet I's and IB's

:pvl:7th busiest line (3,000 trips a day/1,500 riders a day)....mostly short mixed diesel sets

:ac: least busiest line entire system (a little under 3000 trips a day)...all three car solid Comet IV sets

Terminal Boardings

NY PENN STATION: 69,500

NWK PENN STA: 18,600

HOBOKEN: 17,335

NOTE: Ridership numbers based on an avg. weekday in 2006 and are rough estimates to give you an idea of the amount of volume on each line

:nec:ridership on this line is ever growing

:pvl: ridership has probably grown since the starting of midday service(before it was a one way rush hour only line only offering service in the PEAK direction)

:me: ridership also is constantly growing,every station served by Midtown Direct(which was introduced in 1996) sees over 1000 boardings a day (with the exception of Morris Plains and Denville)

M&E Line has more branches to the line so thats why.

But Jamaica Express really broke it down really well so kudos to him. Those were the same numbers I saw in a report sometime last year about the number of trips and the ridership on the lines. And then the equipment on each line he got it down right.

Hello Everyone,

NJ Transit's North Jersey Coast Line is one of the busier routes on the NJ Transit system.

Most trains on the North Jersey Coast Line consist of Electric locomotive hauled and diesel hauled Consists. Arrow III MU Cars do operate on the NJCL on occasion but only for the South Amboy local trains as mentioned earlier due to the Aberdeen/Matawan Phase Gap which is a Voltage Change location as the Arrow III MU Cars can not change voltages automatically. Electric locomotive hauled trains consist of either a ALP-44 consist with 6 to 10 cars or a ALP-46 consist with 6 to 10 cars. ALP-46 Electric locomotives tend to haul the longer trains and ALP-44's tend to haul the shorter less busier trains. Passenger cars are mostly Comet 5 coaches and Cab Control Cars or a variety of Comet IIM coaches, Comet 4 Cab Control Cars, and coaches etc. Comet III Cab Control Cars are mainly being assigned to the diesel trains. Multi-level cars are starting to be seen on the NJCL the past few months but are only being used for the peak rush hour trains as NJ Transit is still getting these cars delivered and there are not enough to use on every single NJCL train. Diesel locomotive hauled trains consist of GP40PH-2 #'s 4145-4150, GP40PH-2B #'s 4200-4218, F40PH-2CAT #'s 4113-4129 and GP40FH-2 #4135-4143 locomotives in decreasing numbers. PL42AC diesel locomotives #4000-4032 have made as few appearances on the NJCL but only as test trains so far as NJ Transit still has problems with the computers that drive the locomotives.

Eric

Its it safe to say the three most busiest lines for (NJT) are electrified.

Which line has the best mix of equipment to look at? From the information in this thread it seems like the :njc: might be it.

I agree with you on that however if you are looking for certain locomotives you will have to look at other NJ Transit routes. It depends on what you are looking for though.

Eric

Which line has the best mix of equipment to look at? From the information in this thread it seems like the :njc: might be it.

:me: lines.

Or chill for a while at NWK Penn if you want......

Yes NJ Transit's top three lines are all electrified and offer the most service to/from New York which is one of the main reasons why these lines are so busy

if you wanna get a feel of all of the equipment NJT uses like pablo m said, I recomend the Morris and Essex Lines(Summit and Newark Broad Street are good spots to see all types of virtually any type of equipment that NJ Transit uses in revenue service.....from Arrows to Comets, from PL42 to GP's the M&E is a very mixed line) the NJC is pretty well diverse to but not as much as the M&E

I personally feel some good train watching spots are Secaucus Jct,Newark Penn Station,Summit,if you wanna see trains speed...I recomend New Brunswick or Metropark during Rush Hour

Yes NJ Transit's top three lines are all electrified and offer the most service to/from New York which is one of the main reasons why these lines are so busy

if you wanna get a feel of all of the equipment NJT uses like pablo m said, I recomend the Morris and Essex Lines(Summit and Newark Broad Street are good spots to see all types of virtually any type of equipment that NJ Transit uses in revenue service.....from Arrows to Comets, from PL42 to GP's the M&E is a very mixed line) the NJC is pretty well diverse to but not as much as the M&E

I personally feel some good train watching spots are Secaucus Jct,Newark Penn Station,Summit,if you wanna see trains speed...I recomend New Brunswick or Metropark during Rush Hour

Secacus is a very good photo location however its a High Speed Zone in regards to Amtrak trains and as a result Many Amtrak photos I take don't come out good or to blurry. The lighting inside on the NEC level is terrible.

Eric

Secacus is a very good photo location however its a High Speed Zone in regards to Amtrak trains and as a result Many Amtrak photos I take don't come out good or to blurry. The lighting inside on the NEC level is terrible.

Eric

Theres a trick with taking Amtrak shots when its at high speed. Have to catch it pending on how fast its going with a faster shutter speed than normal and try to work with the aperture real quick so that the photo don't come out to bright or too dark. Auto will go straight to a slower shutter speed. Oh, and raise the ISO just little by little, try your lowest then keep going up, but don't go too too high, keep it lower than 400-850.

I've only attempted to take one photo at Secaucus Junction so that station I don't have so down with taking photos there. I'll have to go back for sure.

Archived