Teen Girl Hit and Killed by Amtrak Train in Maryland

LRG

MIDDLE RIVER, Md. (Jan. 5) – Amtrak says it expects a normal rush hour after a fatal accident near Baltimore caused delays along the Northeast corridor for much of the day.

Amtrak spokeswoman Karina Romero says delays continued for several hours after the 9 a.m. Tuesday accident, and some midday trains were canceled. Maryland's commuter train service was also affected.

An Amtrak coach passes the area where 14-year-old Ann Marie Stickel was struck and killed by another train.

Baltimore County police say the 14-year-old victim was struck and killed by a southbound train that hit her from behind as she walked along the tracks on the way to school. Friends and relatives of the victim, Ann Marie Stickel of Middle River, placed a plastic foam cross with a picture of her near the scene of the accident Tuesday afternoon.

A friend walking with Stickel was not injured.

http://www.sphere.com/nation/article/teen-girl-hit-and-killed-by-amtrak-train-in-maryland/19304119?icid=main|htmlws-main-tarana|dl1|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sphere.com%2Fnation%2Farticle%2Fteen-girl-hit-and-killed-by-amtrak-train-in-maryland%2F19304119

Walking to school in the cold and on active tracks, stupid, tresspassing, Amtrak could sue the family for the incident disrupting their service. Sad, preventable, tragic. Just goes to show how much common sense kids have these days. By the way, who the hell walks on ties and ballast when a sidewalk would be easier on the ankles & feet....? Stupidity all around on her part, her friend is just as much to blame, she could have disuaded her late friend to take a different, safe, non suicdal route! :mad:

My condolences to her friends and family.

- A

My condolences with the train crew and first responders.

My sentiments exactly. Sympathies to anyone who's workday was interrupted by this unnecessary and avoidable tragedy. Posthumous Darwin award to the victim for being an idiot. Even at 5 I knew you don't walk on tracks, here this girl is 14...old enough in some societies to have gotten married at one time, old enough biologically to give birth, old enough to be in high school (unless she was "slow" which judging from her actions she may have been), but apparently NOT old enough to know that walking somewhere that fast moving heavy objects go is a bad idea. :tdown:

My sentiments exactly. Sympathies to anyone who's workday was interrupted by this unnecessary and avoidable tragedy. Posthumous Darwin award to the victim for being an idiot. Even at 5 I knew you don't walk on tracks, here this girl is 14...old enough in some societies to have gotten married at one time, old enough biologically to give birth, old enough to be in high school (unless she was "slow" which judging from her actions she may have been), but apparently NOT old enough to know that walking somewhere that fast moving heavy objects go is a bad idea. :tdown:

I guarantee you a cell phone had a role in this :tup:

It always gets me when anyone is injured or killed by mass transportation, be it bus rail trolly etc, not just for the victim, which is sad, sometimes avoidable (which adds frustration), but the train crew & responders, it's one of the reasons i'm hesitant about getting a job with (NJT) or amtk. I'm sure after i get some stuff figured out that i need to i'll end up doing that, hopefully with (NJT) so i can see my girlfriend more often. :tup:

- A

Archived