Contributing New Smilies: Am I doing the right thing?

Eric B

Liking the Subway route "smilies", I had gotten the idea to create a bunch for the bus routes (in all seven counties using lettered prefixed). So I created a single image of all the routes, in their map colors (which can be "cut" into the individual "smilie" image) and attached it to an email to info@nyctransitforums.com. I haven't heard anything back, so I wonder whether the idea was accepted, rejected, being looked at, etc. Is the format an issue? I don't know anything about how the smilies are made, and assume it's just a regular small image.

Liking the Subway route "smilies", I had gotten the idea to create a bunch for the bus routes (in all seven counties using lettered prefixed). So I created a single image of all the routes, in their map colors (which can be "cut" into the individual "smilie" image) and attached it to an email to info@nyctransitforums.com. I haven't heard anything back, so I wonder whether the idea was accepted, rejected, being looked at, etc. Is the format an issue? I don't know anything about how the smilies are made, and assume it's just a regular small image.

For some reason, using bus smileys, albeit a good idea, may require maintenance because the route colors would have to be changed and such (e.g. the B61 is now light green, the B41 is now dark blue, etc.). It seems like something the webmaster would have to consider if he would want to make these subtle changes if necessary. Aside from that, good idea!

That wouldn't be a problem. I have seen other vB forums with that many smilies. Like here, the main ones are displayed in the dropdown menu, and when you click "show all", it opens up a whole other little window, and that window can be long enough to hold hundreds. The image I sent comtaining all of them at "actual size" is only 526×534.

Changing the color shouldnt; be a problem. I don't think that's done that often, and not that many routes at the same time, and it won't be much of a big deal of the color is different (not like the subway where the color is fixed; indicating the route).

BTW, why does the (MTA) keep changing the colors around?

As routes change, so do the map patterns. For example, let's say the QBx1 is purple. If its route is changed to run along a portion of another purple route, let's say the Bx36, you won't be able to tell the difference between the two.

(Disclaimer: this situation is extremely hypothetical)

Keeping up with bus color route changes, though, seems like a hard task.

Eric,

It has been received, reviewed, and accepted. Sorry for the late response. I apologize for not responding to your email in a timely matter.

Harry

Thanks!

How about just use few 'Templates' so Harry would just need to load Eg: Q, M, B, Bx, S, N, X and it's cross-boro and/or LTD Versions. For X, it'll be green, for Local it'll be blue and LTD will be in Purple. Meaning only the background and routes are set and the 'templates', otherwise you'll put the route number on yourselves.
I don't know how to make that, and I don't know how it would even work. (Don't see it anywhere else). If that can be done, then it should be done for the subway bullets too, so we could place any letter in a bullet of any color. Whenever the expanded Unicode characters become more popular and in more PC's, they have letters and numbers in bullets, so all you would have to do is use HTML.

As routes change, so do the map patterns. For example, let's say the QBx1 is purple. If its route is changed to run along a portion of another purple route, let's say the Bx36, you won't be able to tell the difference between the two.

(Disclaimer: this situation is extremely hypothetical)

When I was growing up, the B41 was always light blue. Then, with the new colors, it became purple, until very recently. Now, when doing the bullets for this project, I noticed it was now dark blue.

Keeping up with bus color route changes, though, seems like a hard task.

That is why I do not recommend route colors, I say make a uniform color: Blue for Local, Green for Express and alternate for Routes that operate MCIs and Purple for LTD, commonly shown on (MTA) bus-stop signs. Not the 'Map-Colors'.

I still don't think it will matter so much, if a color becomes outdated. Again, the color means nothing intrinsic about the route (with the exception of the expresses) like it does on the subway.

Archived