So R160s finally see weekend service

Pablo M 201

Its true, I've seen it myself. There was an R160A and either one or two R160Bs in service on the (N). And word is that there was an R160B in service on the (Q) for one trip to Brighton. So start saying bye bye to the R40 Slants, R40Ms, and R42s on the (N). Its still quite a while, but the R160s are rapidly starting to come in and quickly getting out to service.

That's good news for R160 fans and bad news for R40 fans. Yesterday I rode an R40 from work to home. Maybe that'll be my last ride on a R40 (N).

I have yet to see the R160's on the (Q) which should be cool to see.

Thanks for the info Pab.

WOW!!!! you no longer have to take a guess at what the conductor/enginner said what the next stop is!? Wow thats a tep up you no longer hear the next stop is one hundred and (static) or you no longer have to get the one that mumbles and you can't hear them at all.

The (N) line has some of the coolest conductors on R68/R40's. They're clear, understandable, and always in good/bad moods.

This is a quote from some of them "this is canal street, this is the last stop in Manhattan, the next stop is Atlantic Avenue/Pacific Street in BROOKLYN!!!" he actually screams Brooklyn. He makes everyone on the train smile or laugh. And there's another the one that always screams at people holding up the doors/train. They will be missed.

That's the only thing I don't like about the R160's and their automated announcements. Other than that the are beautiful cars.

The (N) line has some of the coolest conductors on R68/R40's. They're clear, understandable, and always in good/bad moods.

This is a quote from some of them "this is canal street, this is the last stop in Manhattan, the next stop is Atlantic Avenue/Pacific Street in BROOKLYN!!!" he actually screams Brooklyn. He makes everyone on the train smile or laugh. And there's another the one that always screams at people holding up the doors/train. They will be missed.

That's the only thing I don't like about the R160's and their automated announcements. Other than that the are beautiful cars.

I don't really like the automated announcements too. Especially since one time I rode a R160, and the system announced the stop when the train left that stop.

I know a conductor on the B that likes to make his own announcements. He used to work in the A division, but then he left once the redbirds left and the R142/As took over. Last pick, he worked the N on Sundays. Now this pick, he does the D on Sundays. He's probably pretty happy he left the N.

He also told me of a conductor on the 5 that was clear and announced all the transfers, incuding BMT, IND, or IRT.

I knew another conductor on the E who would announce which trains were across the platform and where they were going.

It isn't a long wait until one shows up during the weekdays. On the weekends, it might be different if there are only a few sets running, like from 2 to 3 sets running. That might change though. If you wait around a midtown manhattan (N) stop, they'll come quicker through there.

Hi everyone and I have bin watching the R160 subway cars for about 6 months up and down the N Express tracks and talk to some motormen and right now they run until about 7 pm and no weekend service until the 20th Ave Sta. is done they are doing the street half at a time. See how they plan to do the R160 and take off trains at NYC Subway.org Mario :P

R160 pics could of been better. I wanted to be on the N platform to get better shots but my friend error who is on the other forum it very impatient so we ended up on the Q platform and he took off running on me to get the R160. So I had to rush the shots while being at the wrong angle.

Archived