station agent exam

vunzya

hi! sorry if this is a stupid question, but i was thinking of taking the station agent exam in march. does anyone know what is covered on the exam, or if there is some kind of study guide? i'm not really sure what kind of questions would come up on a test like this. also, does anyone know what day this exam would usually fall on? saturday?

thanks--vunzya(F)

The exams usually fall on a Saturday. But if you go to Saturday church, they do hold a makeup exam on Sundays. Also they hold a third exam for those in the armed forces, or those who are already employed with MTA, but are out sick for a long period of time or on FMLA (Family medical Leave Act).

As for the study guides, I've been looking for those books to put up on here, and haven't had any luck with any. You most likely won't need it as long as you can do basic math. RTOMan said he got his T/O book on Worth St. in Manhattan, so they might have this book, or he, Dave, or Northeastern night be able to help you with this one. Also a Station Agent at 241st rides my bus sometimes, so I will ask her about it, if I see her again.

• 1 month later...

from what i remember, when i took the exam a few years ago, there were mathematical questions, (which i thought i'd flunk HARD on). there were problem solving conflict questions. there were directional questions too. like what would be the easiest way to get to the south street seapot on the 6 line? etc. all were multiple choice. they also broke down the computerized metrocard system, and asked questions on that as well.

hi! sorry if this is a stupid question, but i was thinking of taking the station agent exam in march. does anyone know what is covered on the exam, or if there is some kind of study guide? i'm not really sure what kind of questions would come up on a test like this. also, does anyone know what day this exam would usually fall on? saturday?

thanks--vunzya(F)

As far as the test goes it is pretty simple. Basic math and trip situations. They will ask u questions about military time. Dont buy the the study guide it will not help. It is much more difficult than the actual test. On a side note i have bought three study guides for different exams. The study guides are totally different than the exam. The exam will fall on a saturday unless for religious resons sunday. Good luck

If u want to take a look at the study guide just for peace of mind. Goto the Queens main libary in Jamaica and they let u photo copy the books there.

Just be careful with the study guides because I have posted up before about the bus operator study guide. Its nothing like the exam.

As far as the test goes it is pretty simple. Basic math and trip situations. They will ask u questions about military time. Dont buy the the study guide it will not help. It is much more difficult than the actual test. On a side note i have bought three study guides for different exams. The study guides are totally different than the exam. The exam will fall on a saturday unless for religious resons sunday. Good luck

If u want to take a look at the study guide just for peace of mind. Goto the Queens main libary in Jamaica and they let u photo copy the books there.

It was the same with the T/O book, but it does help you get mentally prepared for the exam. Only 3 questions was on that test, that was in the book. As for the B/O exam, alot of things changed. They want more informative/customer oriented B/Os no. That means knowing how to get places. B/Os now have become C/R (opening/closing doors, and making announcements), T/O (operating bus), and S/A (giving directions) in one package.

thanks--vunzya(F)

Don't forget to read the NOE. click here for S/A NOE. Make sure you qualify before taking the exam.

First off, I filed for the upcoming exam.

1. How long does it take before you get called for the position on average.

2. When you get called, is it by score or a lottery basis like the sanitation is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Mike-

Its takes anywhere from 1 to 2 Years to start getting called but as much as 5 Years. They go by score and filing date.

A friend of mine waited almost 5 years before he was finally called. This was a couple of years ago. It could be less now like Dave stated.

although i was a little afraid of the math, it was no sweat. i know the city well, so it when it came to the directional questions it wasn't a problem for me. the test is basic common sense questions. that's the mind frame you have to take into the test with you. respond to those questions with common sense.

• 4 weeks later...

thanks--vunzya(F)

You can get the guide in e-bay. In the search area of the e-bay home page type "Study guide for DCAS exam 8011 : Station Agent". You should get the item without any problem.

Archived