More riders cram ferries - but no relief in sight

LRG

They don't go to SI as a destination. From what I have seen there is jack sh*t there anyway. But if you read any (and I mean any) guidebook to NYC it will point out that the ferry to Staten Island is a good (and free) way to have a good look at the harbour, lower Manhattan and so on.

It is true what somebody else has said - the majority of tourists don't even leave the terminal on SI but hop straight back on the next boat.

Exactly my points. Other than railfans [sIRT] and busfans [any bus route], there's not really much to see at SI. Whenever I had free time I would ride the ferry just to get pics of LM, JC, and the SOL and maybe Brooklyn and Governor's Island. That's what I would think most tourists are going to SI for and then take the next boat back to Manhattan.

I also agree with metsfan, SIR North Shore that Staten Island Ferry should be free.

Staten Island Ferry is always best view for commuters and tourists.

If there was fare on SIF, Staten Island tourist actions will slow down.

So? Again as I pointed out, if tourists don't want to pay even TWO QUARTERS [not even a $1], they can take the Ellis Island Ferry which costs conciderably more [last time I rode it was like $10]. So, don't buy that extra water or soda bottle then.

Would you rather pay more in taxes to fund the ferry if you don't want to pay? The state is already broke, there's not going to be any bailouts for the ferry once they've used up all their allotted funds.

Disagree; it could be done such that one gets a paper transfer to use on the ferry when getting off there, even if using MetroCard. The paper transfers would be valid through those turnstiles.

For SIR riders, what could be done is to use a POP machine that dispenses transfers, which serve as the proof of payment. If one connects to SIR from a bus, the transfer would be valid as proof of payment if the bus, SIR, and ferry trip were all made in two hours.

This has to be done with SIR going POP, because in that way, the express bus count goes down, and SIR recovers much more of its costs. MTA Police would also check fares, in addition to special teams of roving ticket inspectors.

That's not a bad idea. They buy the POP*, and use it to swipe thru the turnstiles to get off the SIRT and then they can use it again for the ferry. And it can use those paper metrocards, so they can swipe onto the subway at Whitehall and the other stations in the area.

For everyone else, they'll need to drop in 2 quarters.

*option 1; regular fare $2.25 if they are going to take a bus to Brooklyn for the subway

Option 2: $2.50 [quarter for the ferry].

I really cant see how tourism on the ferry would decrease because of a 50 cent fare. Tourists comes to the city with money, if they can pay for a Metrocard, they could pay for a 50 cent ferry ride!

Although, I can see passengers diverting to the S53/79 if this fare was in place, hell, might even see an increase in x1 ridership. If a 50 cent fare was back in place again, there might be a small decrease in ferry ridership but it would have a small impact on the S53/79 or any used-non used express routes, and that would somewhat hurt the already suffering fleet in Staten Island. Charleston, where are you?!

There's views of the SOL, I've seen some people hop on the ferry in Manhattan to then take the boat back just to take pics. Plus there's also great views of Lower Manahttan, Jersey City and Governor's Island.

I know as I've taken a few rides on the ferry.

Yep, there are also some people who get those Staten Island Pamphlets at the terminal and actually do go exploring!

That's no excuse. Staten Island is a part of NYC and pays the same taxes as everyone else and deserves an efficient and cost-effective means of reaching Manhattan just like every other borough, even it means having the ferry free. As tight as things are now with the economy, if they REALLY needed some revenue from the ferry, I'm sure they would have done it already.

And Staten Island isn't just some small isolated rock either, as according to the SI Advance, it's been for the last decade and continues to be the #1 fastest growing county in NY State.

That is true about the DOT & the fare, also, Staten Island along with parts of Brooklyn & Queens have been seeing a population increase, Staten Island getting the big increase in a matter of 3-4 years

People went crazy when they added a simple quarter to the fare last year, so of course an extra dollar a day to use the SI Ferry is going to cause unnecessary controversy. It's like a "Staten Island surcharge". A fare to the SI Ferry simply is not happening. You could pay a dollar at those faux-turnstiles if you wish Grand Concourse but leave us Staten Islanders out of it.

Although OTOH, I did read a SI Advance article recently and it mentioned that if money issues become worse for NY State, the DOT would consider replacing the overnight ferries with frequent buses and save $3.9 Million.

Oh please, the extra quarter applied to all 5 boroughs, that's no excuse.

Let me clear this up here, I only said $.50 cents ONE WAY [it really should be $1 since $.50 was the price of the fare 10 years ago]. SO don't get me confused with others advocating $1 fares. And also if people are taking the SIRT, I would say the $.50 could be cut by half. So it'd really be more like an extra quarter [still much cheaper than an express bus fare].

And would the DOT reimburse the MTA to run the buses? And what buses would be used? O5s, NGs? Surely not the D4500s right?

People went crazy when they added a simple quarter to the fare last year, so of course an extra dollar a day to use the SI Ferry is going to cause unnecessary controversy. It's like a "Staten Island surcharge". A fare to the SI Ferry simply is not happening. You could pay a dollar at those faux-turnstiles if you wish Grand Concourse but leave us Staten Islanders out of it.

Although OTOH, I did read a SI Advance article recently and it mentioned that if money issues become worse for NY State, the DOT would consider replacing the overnight ferries with frequent buses and save $3.9 Million.

Oh man I remember that outrage. People were not too happy cause they were paying a little extra just to go/leave home. Back in the mid/late 90s, ridership was average, not many standees either, after 2002, there was a dramatic increase in riders. Express routes were becoming less reliable because of breakdowns and whatnot.

All this over 50 cents? fail lol

My statement still stands:

If they can afford to live on Staten Island they can afford an extra 50 cents for the ferry

Thank you. 50 cents is no big deal. Don't want to take the ferry? Take the S53/79/93 to the (R). Bottom line.

Archived