More riders cram ferries - but no relief in sight

LRG

Well of course you're all for it.. you live in BROOKLYN!

Yeah, except I go to school in Staten Island four times a week. I take the ferry there instead of the S93 because my classes start when the S93 isn't running although they end while the S93 still runs.

If they were ever to put a .50 cent fare on the ferry, then they're going to need the S93 to run all day, because I could see ridership surging on the S53 and S79.

Well with +SBS slated for the S79 in the near future ridership problems will be solved.

You may be glad but tell that to Staten Island commuters who use the ferry twice a day.

That's $1 extra each day, $5 in a week and since there are 261 weekdays average, some would possibly be paying close to $250 extra a year.

Who said anything about it being two payments? I would think the turnstiles would be placed on the SI terminal and riders would only pay once to board for Manhattan. But when coming back to SI from Manahttan, they don't need to pay.

At least that's how it used to be I think.

And? That's just 1/5ths of what it would cost if one uses the express buses. I say go for it. $5 a week...that was only half my weekly allowance back when I was eight.

Exactly. People chose to live in SI. Sorry to put it bluntly, but it's not the rest of the city's problem they live on an isolated rock. They can always move back to Queens/Brooklyn if they want better transportation options.

This is not a charity. That $.50 can go a long way to keeping ferry service running without cuts and to help pay for the fuel/ maintenance.

Exactly. People chose to live in SI. Sorry to put it bluntly, but it's not the rest of the city's problem they live on an isolated rock. They can always move back to Queens/Brooklyn if they want better transportation options.

This is not a charity. That $.50 can go a long way to keeping ferry service running without cuts and to help pay for the fuel/ maintenance.

Yep. Considering the fact that there's a possibility I MIGHT move to Staten Island in the near future, I can just make sure that I live along a bus route that can take me to and from the inner boroughs, like the S79. The same goes for everyone else.

That's no excuse. Staten Island is a part of NYC and pays the same taxes as everyone else and deserves an efficient and cost-effective means of reaching Manhattan just like every other borough, even it means having the ferry free. As tight as things are now with the economy, if they REALLY needed some revenue from the ferry, I'm sure they would have done it already.

And Staten Island isn't just some small isolated rock either, as according to the SI Advance, it's been for the last decade and continues to be the #1 fastest growing county in NY State.

That's no excuse. Staten Island is a part of NYC and pays the same taxes as everyone else and deserves an efficient and cost-effective means of reaching Manhattan just like every other borough, even it means having the ferry free. As tight as things are now with the economy, if they REALLY needed some revenue from the ferry, I'm sure they would have done it already.

In that case, you can blame the SAS project for hogging most of the Capital Construction funds from the MTA; $4.5 billion is being used for that project so East Side residents can take a train instead of a bus to get to work. If anything they should be glad that they are getting M15 +SBS soon because then the subway would render it useless for the most part. Use that money for something else.

And Staten Island isn't just some small isolated rock either, as according to the SI Advance, it's been for the last decade and continues to be the #1 fastest growing county in NY State.

I wish people did research instead of making false statements. Many people from Staten Island were priced out of the other boroughs.

Living in the other boros was too expensive, so they moved into the dump.

Dump? What is this so-called "dump" that you speak of?

they should charge a small fare for the ferry even if its only 50-75 cents a ride that money would add up with over 21 million riders a year thats money that could be used for the city's transportation system

The money would go to the city because the city is operating the ferry. If the MTA decided to ease the burden by letting ferry users pay with a MetroCard rather than loose change then they're just helping the city out, yet they should just receive a small fraction of the revenue. They have vending machines installed in the terminals anyway.

I wish people did research instead of making false statements. Many people from Staten Island were priced out of the other boroughs.

Oh boo hoo. An extra $.50 a day. Still hell of a lot cheaper than taking an EXPRESS BUS. Maybe if people don't like to pay for the ferry they can then ride those express bus routes you love so much.

How would you like to pay MORE from your taxes to support the ferry than to just toll the people using it? You are such a big proponent about slashing fares, yet: WHERE THE HELL DO YOU THINK THE MTA/DOT GETS THEIR FUNDING? - TAXES.

Getting rid of the tolls was a political ploy to get the politicians re-elected. That's the problem about politicians toying around with the system to suit their needs. - How 'convenient' of you FG to leave that out...

And chose it they did. Therefore, $.50 should be a small price to pay to provide them a service to get off that rock. And $.50 is just to match the 1990s fare. It really should be more like $.75.

Screw that, make it $1 each way.

Totally agreed! Hell I've taken a few rides on the ferry just to get pics of the bridges and the Statue. I would gladly pay the $.50 for the fare. I don't buy stuff from the snake stand in the boat.

That is where they make back some of the money. It is cheaper to go t Dunkin Donuts than to but coffee on the ferry, but people pay extra for convenience.

And? That's just 1/5ths of what it would cost if one uses the express buses. I say go for it. $5 a week...that was only half my weekly allowance back when I was eight.

It is only $365 dollars a year, not $1300. However, it isn't 1/5th of the express bus fare because you still have to pay for the bus/subway at one point or another. 50 cents plus $2.25 is $2.75 per ride, which is half of the express bus fare.

Archived