Boltbus & Megabus Question

Zman

Ok, I'm looking to make a daytrip to Baltimore on Wednesday, July 21st to catch an afternoon game between the Baltimore Orioles and the Tampa Bay Rays. I could easily drive there, but I figure that I'd take advantage of those $1 tickets that these bus companies offer. However, I have a couple questions.

I tried the boltbus.com website, but it doesn't list any departures for the month of July. Is this an anomaly, or are ticket sales restricted until the date comes up?

For megabus, I can score one of those $2 round-trip tickets. However, the bus stop is in the middle of nowhere at White Marsh Mall. So I took a look at the MTA Maryland website and it looks like the #15 bus to Downtown Baltimore runs once an hour (going back isn't a problem, I can take the #120 express bus). Is there an easier way to get to Downtown? Am I missing something?

I'm planning on taking BoltBus in July as well, only to Boston. To see when the fares are posted, check BoltBus on twitter often! You can usually snag the $1 fares a few days after posting if it's not a very high demand day.

I tried the boltbus.com website, but it doesn't list any departures for the month of July. Is this an anomaly, or are ticket sales restricted until the date comes up?

Zman, it may be a while before Bolt releases July dates - currently they are working on the skeds to be put up for sale up until June. Usually they try to have an offering for at least 4-8 weeks in advance of when the schedule will operate. However, unlike Mega, they better meet demand by only supplying the seats they know will sell at certain time periods. That means they hold back the schedule to reflect buying patterns (and often adjust departure times because of that)

As a few have already mentioned, the best thing to do is to follow them on Twitter - within one hour of the schedules being posted from the folks down in Dallas, TX, they send out a Tweet to announce $1 fares are up - its the first seat only that sells for $1.

Typically from there, the average ticket price is in the range of $12-$18 (Fridays and Sundays usually have $21 tickets during peak travel times).

As for Amtrak7, the highest fares ($18-$20) are usually during Friday afternoons, Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons - as you probably know by now, those seats usually sell out two days in advance. (Try Friday before 11AM or Sunday after 7PM for the best fares should you travel during the peak times - the average there is usually $17).

I'm planning on taking BoltBus in July as well, only to Boston. To see when the fares are posted, check BoltBus on twitter often! You can usually snag the $1 fares a few days after posting if it's not a very high demand day.

The seats on Bolt Bus are more comfortable but Megabus uses those large TD925 Van Hools, meaning you'll have two seats to yourself on most trips.

Zman, it may be a while before Bolt releases July dates - currently they are working on the skeds to be put up for sale up until June. Usually they try to have an offering for at least 4-8 weeks in advance of when the schedule will operate. However, unlike Mega, they better meet demand by only supplying the seats they know will sell at certain time periods. That means they hold back the schedule to reflect buying patterns (and often adjust departure times because of that)

As a few have already mentioned, the best thing to do is to follow them on Twitter - within one hour of the schedules being posted from the folks down in Dallas, TX, they send out a Tweet to announce $1 fares are up - its the first seat only that sells for $1.

Typically from there, the average ticket price is in the range of $12-$18 (Fridays and Sundays usually have $21 tickets during peak travel times).

As for Amtrak7, the highest fares ($18-$20) are usually during Friday afternoons, Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons - as you probably know by now, those seats usually sell out two days in advance. (Try Friday before 11AM or Sunday after 7PM for the best fares should you travel during the peak times - the average there is usually $17).

My brother and I went to Washington last July on Bolt Bus and paid $18 1-way and only $1 going back to NYC. It was so cool more than anything are the leather seats on those new buses now in service on sister bus network Greyhound as well.:tup:

I have not been on Mega either so i cant really say much.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a $6 RT fare to NYC last summer on BoltBus, but normally I prefer MegaBus. I get there early so I can have the front seat on the top row.

If you're going to Baltimore, take Bolt. Their stop is the most conveniently located, right at a MARC station. Avoid Greyhound because the new bus fleet is not yet being used for Baltimore.

Your best chance to the orioles game is a greyhound bus to downtown baltimore, it stops close to Camden Yards. You can get greyhound tickets cheap too if you reserve online but make sure you get them early and print your ticket at home, greyhound charges a whopping five dollar fee for printing one sheet of paper, smh.

Archived