Official Long Island Rail Road/Metro-North Railroad Trivia Thread

Harry

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A planter box? There are a few of these on the OB branch.

Nope. I'll clarify that this box is not used for anything anymore (except for the station sign being attached to it) and that the RR no longer provides the service that made use of this thing.

ill try another guess, perhaps the old Railway Post Office service?

Ding ding ding! US Postal Employees on RPO cars would toss the mail into the hole and it'd make its way to the postal facility.

You're up.

False...I believe it's because trains terminate at Riverhead and it's Manual Block territory

Correct answer, wrong reason. It was put in place due to community opposition a long time ago. Riverhead can be a terminal, but it usually is not. Trains continue to Greenport.

Your turn!

Let's go back to Metro North...what are the Controlled Points (CP) that you can access New Haven Yard from?

Heading east (or north), the yard is accessed from CP 272, "New Haven" interlocking. Heading west (or south), the yard is accessed from CP273, "Fair" interlocking. However, without having to make a relay move, certain yard tracks and platforms are accessible only from "Chapel" interlocking at CP 274.

Heading east (or north), the yard is accessed from CP 272, "New Haven" interlocking. Heading west (or south), the yard is accessed from CP273, "Fair" interlocking. However, without having to make a relay move, certain yard tracks and platforms are accessible only from "Chapel" interlocking at CP 274.

Correct, CP 272 and CP 273 was what I was looking for....CP 274 does nothing for yard access

Correct, CP 272 and CP 273 was what I was looking for....CP 274 does nothing for yard access

I thought that to avoid any relays, 6 track was the only non-diverging yard lead when headed south/west out of State Street, and a switch at "Chapel" interlocking at CP 274 had to be made if a train was running on 1, 2 or 4 track.

Oh well.

Hmmm...

How many leads are used in revenue service for trains entering or exiting the lower level at Grand Central Terminal via the Park Avenue Viaduct?

*Hint: these tracks are identified by letter rather than number.

Name the 3 CP's that give you access to the New Canaan, Danbury and Waterbury branches.

You and your damn interlockings, Myrtle!

Only joking. The branches are accessed from the following control points:

New Canaan - CP234

Danbury - CP241

Waterbury - CP261

Archived