How to fix Amtrak

TheKorean

Rutgers Tube its quite obvious that you and I have a misunderstanding. I am not trying to call you or anyone else out. I am just looking for a constructive criticism so I can actually get something out of this thread. Look if you think I am wrong, which I rpobably am considering you are much more of an expert in this field, I think you should at least be a bit more polite about this. I am not trying to piss you off. I am just saying, Amtrak is losing money and I think it needs to be restructured and here is how I would do it. Simple.

And you did mention that I was arguing with a conductor...I was just asking whos the conductor here?

Railroads if I am not mistaken for the most part of its history in United States were privately owned and operated. Highways are roads, just like sidewalks, or streets, which are all necessities of everyday lives.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. That's over.

One of the first replies to your original post came from an Amtrak conductor. I don't want to reference this person without his/her permission, but it's in the person's profile, name and avatar..

As the population has exploded over the years, railroads have gone from being a lucrative venture for the Vanderbilts and Carnegies to an alternative and low-stress mode of transportation to a last resort and now back up to a necessity. I agree that something should be done to advance every nook and cranny an extremely outdated system, but I just don't see it happening now, the near future, or in the manner that any foreign country has done it. However, it's helpful take to receive hints and to learn from them. And while Amtrak may not be a gold mine, it's currently serving its purpose more reliably than it has in a long while.

I'm far from an expert. I'm here for the same reason that all of us (I think, anyway) are here: to ask, to learn and to share. As far as trains goes, most members (75+%) know more than I now do, and most of that remaining 25% was learned from reliable sources who can be found on this site.

^Thank you for that.

Now yes, American system is clearly and should be different from the South Korean system, because of the different geography and different cultures and habits. Since the Koreans are so tight in space railroad will clearly fare better over there.

But I am saying that the ideas over there, might come to be useful over here. High speed rail lines IMO, could be a gold mine for Amtrak. Yes its going to be expensive and isnt probably going to happen for a long time, but a guy can dream right? I love trains. I think they are the best form of travelling out there.

^Thank you for that.

Now yes, American system is clearly and should be different from the South Korean system, because of the different geography and different cultures and habits. Since the Koreans are so tight in space railroad will clearly fare better over there.

But I am saying that the ideas over there, might come to be useful over here. High speed rail lines IMO, could be a gold mine for Amtrak. Yes its going to be expensive and isnt probably going to happen for a long time, but a guy can dream right? I love trains. I think they are the best form of travelling out there.

I'd love to see it happen. In the northeast... probably never will it occur. Eminent domain and acquiring the property for a R.O.W. is a series of courtroom battles, millions and billions of dollars in legal fees alone, nevermind construction costs, and ill sentiments are more than likely to result.

What the Northeast Corridor between GCT and NH really needs, and is ALMOST feasible, is a fifth track to ease some of the congestion. That's also another item which will most likely never occur.

I migt have overlooked your post. I thought that meant that you were a mod.

Nope. I think only the straphangers forums does that and other smaller transit forums. We reserve those titles only for actual employees.

• 2 weeks later...

^No. Amtrak needs to start out small. Start with NEC, upgrade tracks, make it a real high speed line. No doubt then Amtrak will make even more money. Very nice alternative to plane ride, should be cheaper and much more comfortable. Once that happens, invest the profit in to other lines.

But before all these, nationalize the tracks. Seriously, US government will take less loss if they control the tracks.

^No. Amtrak needs to start out small. Start with NEC, upgrade tracks, make it a real high speed line. No doubt then Amtrak will make even more money. Very nice alternative to plane ride, should be cheaper and much more comfortable. Once that happens, invest the profit in to other lines.

But before all these, nationalize the tracks. Seriously, US government will take less loss if they control the tracks.

While Amtrak buying out the tracks would sound like a good thing, your going to piss off many freight operators. For one thing, it should lay its OWN tracks.

Buy german technology and structural engineers to make it more modern, stylish and comfortable for the middle class!

You need this:

425_rb_rzw_26sep09.jpg

800px-Desiro_ML.JPG

276284836_7a3218f0bb.jpg

Deutsche_Bahn_AG_DB_Deutschland_JPG_960x350_crop_q95.jpg

siemens1.jpg

800px-Regionalbahn_27.jpg

84852.jpg

berlin_hauptbahnhof.jpg

berlin-hauptbahnhof-lehrter-bahnhof-214854.jpg

bahnhof152.jpg

Berlin%20Volo%208%20-%20Hauptbahnhof.jpg

508_l.jpg

ws2101.jpg

20007251.JPG

I think we will see something like this on a smaller size in parts of the NE and Midwest. I think the MBTA is planning to use smaller DMU's similar to German DMU's on lighter used Commuter lines. Form what ive found , the Northeast seems to go for Asian Standards and terms of size and interiors. I think we need to encourage more Private - Public investments , that would help speed projects up. As hard as this is to imagine , i do see the Bos-Wash Corridor in 20 years having a Japanese style Railway network of Commuter , High Speed , Light Rail , Subways serving at least 90% of the corridor area.:P

I think we will see something like this on a smaller size in parts of the NE and Midwest. I think the MBTA is planning to use smaller DMU's similar to German DMU's on lighter used Commuter lines. Form what ive found , the Northeast seems to go for Asian Standards and terms of size and interiors. I think we need to encourage more Private - Public investments , that would help speed projects up. As hard as this is to imagine , i do see the Bos-Wash Corridor in 20 years having a Japanese style Railway network of Commuter , High Speed , Light Rail , Subways serving at least 90% of the corridor area.:P

It's more easier to implement that in a specific region such as the NEC and the area around Chicago. But throughout the country? That's very different.

It's more easier to implement that in a specific region such as the NEC and the area around Chicago. But throughout the country? That's very different.

True , i think in 20 years only the Chicago-Pittsburgh and Northeastern US will have a dense Railway network = to Japan or Europe. The Rest of the country is moving to slowly.:P

True , i think in 20 years only the Chicago-Pittsburgh and Northeastern US will have a dense Railway network = to Japan or Europe. The Rest of the country is moving to slowly.:P

Maybe parts of California as well though. Look at the Bay Area, for example: there are several rail operators (besides Muni and Bart)

I think the problem is Amtrak itself, because the gov invest not enough. Here in Europe and in Asia the gov spending more money on it, not only because of traffic aspects, but of social and welfare.

But your communities know what potential rail traffic has. Fore example there are some nice light rail systems in Seattle, Houstan or Portland. Mostly build with german technology.

I think we will see something like this on a smaller size in parts of the NE and Midwest. I think the MBTA is planning to use smaller DMU's similar to German DMU's on lighter used Commuter lines. Form what ive found , the Northeast seems to go for Asian Standards and terms of size and interiors. I think we need to encourage more Private - Public investments , that would help speed projects up. As hard as this is to imagine , i do see the Bos-Wash Corridor in 20 years having a Japanese style Railway network of Commuter , High Speed , Light Rail , Subways serving at least 90% of the corridor area.:(

Asian tech? I don't know, what's about stuff from Siemens, Bombardier or Alstom? :P

Citaro, not to sound rude or anything, but if you want to make a point, just post 1 or 2 photos and that's really enough. It'll eat up the bandwidth and would be a b*tch to load for many users. Like if you really have to show those pics, create a separate thread so we could admire what's being done in Europe. Let's try to limit this to a simple discussion about improving Amtrak.

Guys, amtrak only owns the northeast corridor and the electrified portion of the keystone corridor. They do not own any stations in NJ either, and only one on the NEC in PA.

My solution to amtrak's woes is to divert part of highway and airport money to upgrade the rights of way, stations, electrification upgrades in the form of more robust redundant systems especially in the tunnels under the rivers in NYC and constant tension installed throughout, as well as redundant signal systems, new rolling stock that will last as long as the amfleets have, painting and corrosion resistance treatment for all bridges and viaducts, catenary poles too, ROW fencing to help keep animals and trespassers out, new dual mode locos, new and expanded service and more frequent trains on some routes, fix the sunset limited so it continues into northern florida. Electrification to chicago via pittsburgh would not be a horrible idea either, same with the IC/CN owned city of new orleans route, and at least up to albany from nyc.

The real problem with amtrak is that it has to keep functional so much stuff, the trains, and passenger interactions, and food services, fuel sand and crew is a small amount of $ needed compared to constantly be fixing 70-100 year old bridges and viaducts and yards and tunnels. If it could get all the needed upgrades done, the subsidy could actually be reduced from current levels and ticket prices would stay the same, and it would actually break even on many more trains that are now money losing and make money on trains that are breaking even. If the amount of money spent building out the interstate highway system was put into the rail system, we would be the world leader in that industry for both passenger and freight operations.

- A

I got permission form the owner of the map , to edit it. I added the 2030 plans form Every NE City and Region and a few HSL's.

Red = True High Speed Rail 120-220mph

Orange = Commuter or FRA Standards for HSR 80-110mph

Purple = Proposed / Planned Light rail , Rapid Rail transit , BRT

4586308546_5c446f6699_o.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

True. Amtrak began in 1971 and Conrail began in 1976 after a collection of railroads (most notably Erie-Lackawanna, CNJ, Reading and Penn-Central) failed. Since then, mergers have further reduced railroads: today the western United States is essentially Burlington Northern-Santa Fe (BNSF), Union Pacific (UP), and Amtrak. Before, BNSF once was the Chicago, Burlington And Quincy (CB & Q - Burlington Route), Great Northern (GN), Northern Pacific (NP) and the Atchison, Topeka, And Santa Fe (Santa Fe) and each operated passenger and freight trains. Trains such as the Twin Zeyphers, Mark Twain Zeypher Denver Zeypher, California Zeypher, Empire Builder, Mainstreeter, The Chief, and The Super Chief.

Railroads if I am not mistaken for the most part of its history in United States were privately owned and operated. Highways are roads, just like sidewalks, or streets, which are all necessities of everyday lives.

Archived