Question about the R110B C/R board

mark1447

Hey Im curious a bit. If the 110B was just prototype of future NTTs why was the board needed in most of the IND lines? I mean even Concourse has the sign and i think Queens Blvd (Correct me on that).

Was there ever a test(or test to be done) on Grand Concourse Line too?

Hey Im curious a bit. If the 110B was just prototype of future NTTs why was the board needed in most of the IND lines? I mean even Concourse has the sign and i think Queens Blvd (Correct me on that).

Was there ever a test(or test to be done) on Grand Concourse Line too?

I'm guessing in case the train ever wound up off course

Thanks guys, but what was the point of these signs up on other lines besides 8th /Fulton?

Like I said, if it wound up off course, example: rerouted to Coney Island

edit: darn you SubwayGuy....darn me for not looking! :(

they figured just in case the Test would be sucsesful that the boards would be already pre installed would save them time. but it wasn't meant too be.

No, not at all. The R110Bs were a ONE time order to test new technologies that may be ordered on new cars. The test was not a failure or a success because it was a test platform. Many of the amenities found on the R142 and R143 cars were from the R110A/Bs.

I've seen R110B's C/R boards all over the place Concourse,8th Av,6th Av,Nassau I think they're every where except the SIR.This is nothing new so if the R110B would go back in service it won't be a problem.

Those cars will not go back in service. There aren't even enough of them to make a full train not to mention what a headache parts would be and training shop crews to maintain them. There are probably literally one thousand reasons those cars will not go in service again. As INDman said, they were test trains and nothing more.

Those cars will not go back in service. There aren't even enough of them to make a full train not to mention what a headache parts would be and training shop crews to maintain them. There are probably literally one thousand reasons those cars will not go in service again. As INDman said, they were test trains and nothing more.

You never know.I heard the R110A motors were taken out what about the B.But these cars can run just to run and they'll probably put them on the Franklin Shut,Lefferts Shut or (G) IF IF They are needed.It'll be crazy if the T/A uses these cars to have a anniversary for something.Basically these cars were like the SOATC or w/e program testing new tech trains such as the 44/46's in our system 2day.

Guest lance25

The 110s are dead. Both of them are. While it would be nice to see them back in service even once, the structural integrity of the cars has been in question for some time now. If it was possible for them to move on their own without safety issues, they wouldn't have been towed to each yard they needed to be at.

You never know.I heard the R110A motors were taken out what about the B.But these cars can run just to run and they'll probably put them on the Franklin Shut,Lefferts Shut or (G) IF IF They are needed.It'll be crazy if the T/A uses these cars to have a anniversary for something.Basically these cars were like the SOATC or w/e program testing new tech trains such as the 44/46's in our system 2day.

Actualy he would know...

The 110s are dead. Both of them are. While it would be nice to see them back in service even once, the structural integrity of the cars has been in question for some time now. If it was possible for them to move on their own without safety issues, they wouldn't have been towed to each yard they needed to be at.
So were they built to only last a couple of years for the testing? It's one thing for the 44's to have structural problems. They're almost 20 years older than the 110's, and have been running consistently.

Structural integrity??? In what way and what form? For all I'm aware of, the R110As sustained fire damage...I doubt that could be enough to warrant for something like structural integrity issues seeing that they're stainless steel, but I could be wrong :confused:

The thing is...if the R11s were rebuilt to run with the other SMEEs then can't the R110As be rebuilt to run with the R142/As??? Not that I care to see the cars run in service again, I'm just wondering....

they are not dead the R110A can be fixed just have to send them back to kawasaki plant and get them to put on new trucks or rebuild them.

As for the R110B there is still 6 cars left both should be stored in the transitmusem and used on "fan trips". the mta can fix them in coney island shop and 207st yard. :P :tup:

Guest lance25

Perhaps structural integrity issues was the wrong phrase, but IIRC there were some serious braking problems with the trains, especially the 110As.

From NYCSubway.org on the R110As

The train was yanked from service in the spring of 1998 due to brake problems. A year later in 1999, it was rumored to be in some sort of fire, which sparked the TA to send it to the repair shop, for full repairs. In mid-June 1999, it returned to the 239th Street Yard.

and on the R110Bs

...due to breakdowns, one of the 3-car sets had been cannibalized for parts...
Throughout 1999, it had been in and out of service for both repairs and additional component testing. It was permanently removed from service in 2000 due to breakdowns and low Mean Distance Between Failure (MBDF) ...

I've seen R110B's C/R boards all over the place Concourse,8th Av,6th Av,Nassau I think they're every where except the SIR.This is nothing new so if the R110B would go back in service it won't be a problem.

I don't think 67-ft-cars can fit on the (J)(M2)(Z) lines.

what does that prove? if the mta needs temporary extra trains add the R110B back on the Lefferts(S) and be done with it.

But the thing is...we don't need extra trains at this moment. And even if we did 6 67' cars and the R110As won't help.

Guest lance25

What it proves is that the R110Bs have only one complete set with all of its parts. 3006-09 were cannibalized for the other sets in the '90s. Cars 3004-06 are currently in use for training purposes only; 3005 is at NYCT's P.S. 248 and 3004 & 3006 are at Coney Island. Plus, even if the cars were all together, there's still the problem of the cars breaking down almost constantly.

If the (MTA) needs additional cars for any line, they can pull any set out of any given yard. Not all cars are in revenue service at any one time.

Like I said before, I would love to see both trainsets in service again, but I also would like to get to where I need to be in a timely fashion.

What it proves is that the R110Bs have only one complete set with all of its parts. 3006-09 were cannibalized for the other sets in the '90s. Cars 3004-06 are currently in use for training purposes only; 3005 is at NYCT's P.S. 248 and 3004 & 3006 are at Coney Island. Plus, even if the cars were all together, there's still the problem of the cars breaking down almost constantly.

If the (MTA) needs additional cars for any line, they can pull any set out of any given yard. Not all cars are in revenue service at any one time.

Exactly. Why do you (speaking in general) think that the (N) is 99% R160? If an R160 needs to be serviced they'll use an R68/A instead. LOTS of car types have made odd appearances on lines they're not normally assigned to because of this.

they are not dead the R110A can be fixed just have to send them back to kawasaki plant and get them to put on new trucks or rebuild them.

As for the R110B there is still 6 cars left both should be stored in the transitmusem and used on "fan trips". the mta can fix them in coney island shop and 207st yard. :P :tup:

You're missing the point. Kawasaki doesn't MAKE R110's anymore. That is old technology. While we're at the pointless thought experiments, let me call up WABCO and ask them for a few UE-5's, the museum arnines could use some more spare air brake valves. Hey while we're at it, I could always call up the last known number for a contact at the St. Louis Car Company and ask them to build an IRT Composite since none were saved. But wait, WABCO doesn't make UE-5's and St. Louis Car doesn't exist anymore (even if they did they would not be making wooden subway cars), so neither of those things is going to happen.

There are 6 R110B cars left, 3 are used in the fire school, and they are not that historically significant so they will bounce around the system until someone decides what to do with them. Over the past few years TEN cars were added to the museum fleet (2 each of R32, R38, R40 slant, R40 modified, and R42). The museum fleet is growing, and rightly so, but it cannot grow forever because each time it grows, each car gets a little less care since there are more of them to maintain.

In addition, the TA is not going to waste - yes waste - money rebuilding them back to be compatible with the current fleet in this economy when it can either just order new cars or keep old cars around. Like I've said, there are literally a thousand reasons those cars will never run in passenger service again. Must the railiens hear every single one before they are satisfied???

Archived