How few remain?

R10 2952

As we know, not all Redbirds were scrapped. Some were converted to work service. Specifically, my questions are: how many R-33 WF cars are still in work service? Are any R-36 WF cars in work service? I also happened to notice that some of the Redbirds/Workbirds are being fixed up and repainted in fresh red paint, with black trim and silver roofs (the scheme of the good old days, of course). What is up with that? One would think that most work cars would be painted yellow. But most importantly, how much longer are the Redbirds expected to remain in work service?

As we know, not all Redbirds were scrapped. Some were converted to work service. Specifically, my questions are: how many R-33 WF cars are still in work service? Are any R-36 WF cars in work service? I also happened to notice that some of the Redbirds/Workbirds are being fixed up and repainted in fresh red paint, with black trim and silver roofs (the scheme of the good old days, of course). What is up with that? One would think that most work cars would be painted yellow. But most importantly, how much longer are the Redbirds expected to remain in work service?

Preserved Cars List an excellent guide by our very own Subway Guy.

Also R26 7774-7775, R28 7924-7925, R29 8678-8679 are the only R26-R29s left on NYC property. They also have several R36 cars still around and one of them is in the museum. That's all I know.

Are any of them ever going to be preserved? I can't understand why they repainted/fixed up only R-33 car sets, but left R-26/28/29s untouched.

Until when did the R21/22 were used in work service?

As far as I know, some are still out there (of course, they're mostly sitting around half-dead within the bowels of random subway yards).

Archived