Will Recently hired T/Os be the next to face layoffs?

Andrew

Forgive me for starting this topic but as someone who has been Laid off in the private sector 4 different times,I cannot help to notice the very ominous signs that are not promising for the future.

I of course hope not as my last day of schoolcar is JUNE 30th.With the Bus Operators being terminated earlier today this tells me that NOBODY down here is safe,even Train Operators.

My Group from Induction Day back in JAN consists of TB31 and TB32 There is only TB33 behind us and thats it.No new T/O groups have been hired since FEB and dont look to be for some time.

I also dont believe that a economy that improves will mean good news for us.This guy Walder has his own agenda and he is going to implement it one way or another regardless of how the economy is doing.

Some here may believe that I am getting ahead of myself and are worrying for nothing.I say to them that I have experience in being laid off by different companies,and this is how it starts..it may be a very slow drawn out process...but it is also steady as well and does not stop.First it was the Staion Agents,now it is Bus operators,next it could be train operators.The hiring freeze is just the very beginning of what is likely a reduction in the number of T/Os.

:P:(

With all due respect, ask Jay Walder.

But my gut feeling is no.

A lot of jobs for the newbies are "reimbursible", that is GO jobs paid from the capital program.

Your training is a lot longer than that of a bus operator or station agent. They don't want to piss that money away.

Finally, there are a lot of t/o retiring in the near future. If I win some $$$$$$ I promise I'll leave before my target date of 4 1/2 years hence.

I don't know I was told by a close friend of mine who works for tha LIRR that they gave some Conductors tha slip and stopped qualifying Assistant Conductors to become Conductors

Thats L.I.R.R not NYCT....

T/O looks like one of the few "safe" titles down here.

Forgive me for starting this topic but as someone who has been Laid off in the private sector 4 different times,I cannot help to notice the very ominous signs that are not promising for the future.

I of course hope not as my last day of schoolcar is JUNE 30th.With the Bus Operators being terminated earlier today this tells me that NOBODY down here is safe,even Train Operators.

My Group from Induction Day back in JAN consists of TB31 and TB32 There is only TB33 behind us and thats it.No new T/O groups have been hired since FEB and dont look to be for some time.

I also dont believe that a economy that improves will mean good news for us.This guy Walder has his own agenda and he is going to implement it one way or another regardless of how the economy is doing.

Some here may believe that I am getting ahead of myself and are worrying for nothing.I say to them that I have experience in being laid off by different companies,and this is how it starts..it may be a very slow drawn out process...but it is also steady as well and does not stop.First it was the Staion Agents,now it is Bus operators,next it could be train operators.The hiring freeze is just the very beginning of what is likely a reduction in the number of T/Os.

:P:(

I agree with Bill gut feeling is No as well.

as a few have mentioned, your training costs them a lot of money; they dont want to throw that away......also, for all intervals that are not run, ta loses federal dollars.....also, there are a lot of people leaving, so i highly doubt they let anyone go.........

i dont know about soon but yeah, some day all lines will be OPTO, i just hope its not while im alive lol. they always need someone in the front to blame if something goes wrong though

Not even soon ... but nowhere in the foreseeable future as there are too many safety issues to (IMO) ever allow for OPTO on all lines. It may be expanded ... and they may be able to eventually have one title (T/O) act as both T/Os and C/Rs as needed, but even that is still not happening anytime soon and AFAIK there are no serious plans for it.

Train Operator is a job that you can't outsource to India, mechanize due to safety, or drastically cut unless New Yorkers start driving to work (ha!). you also cant "push" people to work harder to maximize productivity in order to cut work hours. the train is going to finish its route in 1 hr 28 minutes no matter how young or old your operator is

Archived