As New York City bus cuts arrive, so does confusion - and a jab at the MTA

LRG

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- As commuters ready themselves for a series of massive city bus service cuts, a sign placed at some bus stops on the Island offered some advice to put-upon riders: "Start walking!

The yellow and black sign is laid out and shaped to look like an official schedule change announcement -- the kind commuters might find posted to a bus stop schedule box.

But a quick read reveals it's not anything the MTA would print out.

"Attention. The following changes to bus service will take effect due to the fact we don't give a damn !! So, If you are waiting for one of the following buses to arrive, STOP READING THIS AND START WALKING !!!"

What follows is a list of bus lines that have been wholly discontinued or canceled during off-peak hours, with suggested alternatives.

Want to take the S40 route? "Hitch a ride on a Coke Truck!!!" the sign reads.

The S60? "Sorry the S66 will show up eventually."

The S54 on the weekend? "Find a way."

It's not clear who put up the sign -- neither New York City Transit officials nor representatives of the bus drivers union returned messages seeking comment last night.

The sign ends with the advice, "So just deal with it! Go get new sneakers and use them. Remember to pay the fare please, and be polite to the driver." It also provides phone numbers for several top transit officials, including MTA Chairman Jay Walder.

One traveler waited patiently yesterday afternoon near the New Dorp Lane and Cedar Grove Avenue stop for the S76 -- a bus that would never come. Well, never say never. The next bus arrived at 4:53 this morning.

Riders found themselves inconvenienced during the first day of significant bus cuts the likes of which the city hasn't seen since the 1970s.

The changes, which affect both express and local buses, are part of the MTA's solution to an $800 million budget gap. In some cases, buses take up a new route to compensate for the scrapped lines. In others, passengers will need to reroute themselves to adjust to canceled buses.

In the plan, the S76 serving New Dorp Beach no longer runs on weekends.

"Oh no... What do I do?" said Olena Gaiola as a look of desperation crossed her face. The 21-year-old, born in the Ukraine who now lives in Boston, was visiting friends on the Island. Ms. Gaiola looked at the bus schedule and map her friends had provided looking for answers. She missed the new sign up detailing changes at all affected stops. Confused and bewildered, Ms. Gaiola walked away.

The closest bus was the S79 at New Dorp Lane and Hylan Boulevard, nearly one mile away and a 15 minute walk according to Google Maps.

Mario Pringle, 26, of New Dorp, was waiting at that bus stop. "It's bad enough Staten Island isn't connected to the other parts of the city. It makes it even harder for people without vehicles to get around."

Mr. Pringle spends three and half hours traveling to his job in Queens. "I think they need more bus lines," he said. He was similarly shocked when told the S76 no longer runs, noting that he sometimes rides the route.

Eddie Hernandez, of Stapleton, takes the S76 every day to go to soccer practice at Miller Field, New Dorp. "I gotta find different ways to get here," the 14-year-old said. "I guess I'll take the train then have to walk."

Around the corner, two teenage girls found themselves walking home after discovering the S76 had been discontinued on weekends. Zenaida Muniz of Oakwood and Desiree Floyd of Oakwood Beach waited on New Dorp Lane for 15 minutes before moving over to the smaller Cedar Grove Avenue. They had been at the beach and expected to have a ride home. Instead, they found themselves walking in bikini tops and shorts to Ms. Floyd's home at about 6:30 last night.

Ms. Muniz, 15, was not pleased. "It's so hot!" she exclaimed as she discussed how to get home with her friend.

As they spoke, a woman ina sedan slowed down to tell them the bus wasn't running that day.

"Do they realize people live here?" Ms. Floyd, 16, said in frustration. When told there is still weekday service, she retorted: "But that's (the weekend) when I take the bus. I don't go anywhere during the week. I see plenty of people on the bus on the weekend."

Though signs were up at each bus stop, commuters didn't seem to notice them. To get the new schedules and maps before you leave home, visit the MTA Web site. Take care to click the small red type "new" to the left of the proposed route for updated information.

Another resource is the MTA Trip Planner.

Link: http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/06/as_new_york_city_bus_cuts_arri.html

People don't read and then say that the MTA didn't tell them. :mad:

You know how people are: they cry wolf everytime they're left high and dry.

Not the MTA's fault they actually WARNED them about the changes....

One Thing i say about people in the city is they Dont use common sense!

The (MTA) been promoting this for god knows when. it been on all buses for the pass 3weeks to month. its been advertised and i bet these people read it as well yet they want to complain after the cuts happen. i tell you people are full of it. they just want something to complain about when they knew it was gonna happen.. thats why you prepare JACKASSES!!!!!

People don't read and then say that the MTA didn't tell them. :mad:

Exactly. It's just like some folks in the subway who stand next to the "Service Notice" signs and still claim that there are no signs. Then you show them the signs and they say, "Oh, I never look at those signs because they never affect me." How do they know that the information doesn't affect them if they refuse to read it???

Exactly. It's just like some folks in the subway who stand next to the "Service Notice" signs and still claim that there are no signs. Then you show them the signs and they say, "Oh, I never look at those signs because they never affect me." How do they know that the information doesn't affect them if they refuse to read it???

They know because they are to good to read signs. Somebody must come up to them and inform them of how they must now commute.:mad::mad::mad:

I could see the people now on bus ''where are you going driver?you're not suppose turn here!''(person having a WTF look on their face)I was on the 66 on monday a guy ask me weather this bus was going to the Ferry?he said he though he was on the S 53.

I agree.

Even when Bee-Line Bus introduce MetroCard, even Bee-Line bus riders did not claim to read it. I remember when I was on BxM4C which decrease to $5 before (MTA) Fare Hike, elderly was not happy that bus wouldn't take dollar bills. Even thought B/O told her it was also on NY Times, but they claim they didn't read it. They should be happy b/c it's $5.00 at that time.

Not only (MTA), even Bee-Line Bus riders doesn't read the sign either.

Archived