A question about LIB routes that run into NYC

Joel Up Front

Specifically, the N4. I was riding my bike along Merrick Road (becomes Merrick Boulevard in the city) and went over the Belt Parkway overpass when I saw an N4 stop at the first Q5 stop after the parkway, and then the stop after. I didn't follow it as I had turned onto Franny Lew and by then it was gone.

What happens when the N4 gets into Queens? Unlike some other routes (N6, 22/A, 24) that go into the city, the N4 has no marked stops - do operators stop at the Q5 stops dotted along Merrick for dropping people off only?

Specifically, the N4. I was riding my bike along Merrick Road (becomes Merrick Boulevard in the city) and went over the Belt Parkway overpass when I saw an N4 stop at the first Q5 stop after the parkway, and then the stop after. I didn't follow it as I had turned onto Franny Lew and by then it was gone.

What happens when the N4 gets into Queens? Unlike some other routes (N6, 22/A, 24) that go into the city, the N4 has no marked stops - do operators stop at the Q5 stops dotted along Merrick for dropping people off only?

Correct,

To Freeport, Pick Up Only In Queens

To Jamaica, Drop Off Only In Queens

People barely get picked up and dropped off so that bus flies down Merrick, unlike those N22/A, N6 and N24 on Hillside Av

• 3 weeks later...
Before the service cut took place, after fare hike, I was on N4 going to Jamaica Center.

This B/O was very nice, because when he enter Queens, he let Queens Passenger on.

I suppose the Q5 operators driving behind him were pissed, then..

Were the passengers confused?

The reason for no marked stops is because there is no pick-up in Queens.

The only routes that pick-up and drop-off in Queens are in the Rockaways and the N24 (as far west as 239 Street).

When Long Island Bus routes enter Queens it's a full-on express run to the last stop, usually when I don't feel like waiting an extra 10 minutes for the N20 I take the N22 into Jamaica and once it hits Queens it'll fly down Hillside Avenue and when we hit the 179 St (F) station the entire bus pretty much empties out.

Archived