Off-peak fares to be eliminated?

Truckie

I guess that if NJT and SEPTA didn't do it, the MTA wouldn't be considering it now. A SEPTA-like system would be the balance, with only evening and weekend trains priced off-peak and all other trains peak.

Or, my idea:

Charge peak fares on weekends: westbound arrive NYC 8AM-noon, eastbound depart NYC 2PM-8PM

PM peak should start at 3PM, not 4PM

Run Saturday service with extra trains on all minor holidays, no need to run full weekday service.

MNR should use the same, except weekend peak should be bidrectional.

I guess that if NJT and SEPTA didn't do it, the MTA wouldn't be considering it now. A SEPTA-like system would be the balance, with only evening and weekend trains priced off-peak and all other trains peak.

Or, my idea:

Charge peak fares on weekends: westbound arrive NYC 8AM-noon, eastbound depart NYC 2PM-8PM

PM peak should start at 3PM, not 4PM

Run Saturday service with extra trains on all minor holidays, no need to run full weekday service.

MNR should use the same, except weekend peak should be bidrectional.

OK amtrak intresting idea.

Define a 'minor holiday' young man?

It would be confusing on what time is peak fare Saturdays.

My take is a regular MNRR rider is this to revise the fare structure. I would just charge 'peak fares' all day Monday-Friday until 759 pm for trains leaving or going to GCT, Flatbush Ave/Brooklyn or Penn Station only. While after 8pm-559am weekdays and all times weekends, i would continue off peak fares. Another change is to increase the on board charge to $10.

While I would charge a regular fare for all other stations at all times for MNRR/LIRR and make stations from Nostrand, East NY, Woodside in Zone 3 (Jamaica)and 125th/Harlem in the Bronx fare zone.

Reactions?

Um, they said they were thinking about it. Got to find some way to keep things floating. Do you like bringing home an MTA pay chech?

Um, I'm well aware the "officials are considering" it or in your words thinking about it. At no point did I say or imply they were going to do it. In fact, the title of the thread has a question mark on the end as in it could or might happen, not will happen.

I was just posting the article in the event anyone was interested. That's all.

What does it matter whether or not I like bring home a MTA paycheck? Now I have to go look and see if my paycheck even says MTA since I don't work for the MTA, I work for Metro North Railroad, a subsidy of the MTA. It would be like asking if I like bringing home a New York State paycheck as the MTA is a subsidy of New York State. But at the end of the day I work for Metro North Railroad, not the MTA or New York State.

If you must know whether or not I like the paycheck is academic as regardless of what they do with fares, over 40 jobs in my craft have been eliminated in the last two months with rumors of 35 to 40 more in September. This does not include the jobs that were eliminated in other crafts and non-agreement jobs. When my number comes up, it comes up. Fares are not going to help at this point as it's two different line items in the budget. They will still attempt to decrease payroll and operating expenses regardless of what happens with revenue.

you did imply it was going to happen in the title of the thread. there is a big diffrence when using the words "to be" vs "may be. We're still at the "May be" stage.

I agree there is a big difference.

The title of the thread: "Off-peak fares to be eliminated?" is a question. That question is rhetorical for intended purposes. The answer is we don't know. The same words ending with a period would make it a statement, which is what you mistaked it to be. Had the statement been "Off-peak fares may be eliminated." would be correct. I decided to make the title a question because there is that uncertainty instead of making it in to the form of a statement.

You work for an MTA angecy, your pay comes from thier bank accounts, Unlimity, Jay Walder is your top boss. His descisions effect your job. why waste 10 minutes pandering on semantics.

I'm not going to argue about the semantics of it. It's just not worth it.

For the sake of the thread being trashed and locked let's just move on....

Please back to the regularly scheduled discussion.

Archived