Bob Sheppard, Voice of Yankee Stadium, dies at age 99

YankeesPwnMets

Bob Sheppard, the renowned Voice of Yankee Stadium whom Reggie Jackson once called "The voice of God" for his intonations as public address announcer, has died at home in Baldwin. He was 99.

He died peacefully, surrounded by family members, early this morning, said his youngest son, Chris.

Sheppard, a former college football quarterback and later a speech teacher at St. John's...

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/e-boland-and-the-bombers-1.812003/bob-sheppard-dies-1.2095992?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

RIP Bob Sheppard. He will be missed

Here Bob Sheppard in one of his last public apperences at the last ever game at the oringal Yankee Stadium in Sept. 2008.

My, Mr. Sheppard memory is this. During the 1985 season with the Yanks, Red Sox and Blue Jays locked in a good race for AL East title that Toronto would win, I went to Yanks-Blue Jays late in that season. Some idiot and clueless fans booed the Canada National Anthemn prior to game.

Mr. Sheppard reminded the crowd right after that embrassing incident that "Canada is our neighbor and the best friend of the United States in the world' and played a role in a few Iran hostage crisis a few years earlier. Long story short a Canada Ambrassdor lied to Iran hostage takers and safely stated they were Canadian and had them secretly sent home to US.

Bob Sheppard was a class act and will be missed. :cry:

Rest in Piece Bob Sheppard. Legend. His voice is one of the greatest of all time. He was indeed the voice of God. Hearing that voice on TV or at Yankee Stadium is always a powerful experience. Thank God that Derek Jeter will keep his voice alive a little longer.

I was at the final game at the old park. I've never admitted this to anyone, but hearing the Voice of God on that day was so great. I loved hearing that booming voice that I heard for so many years going to the old stadium.

This guy is a legend and will go down as one of the greatest Yankees of all-time. I may not be a Yankee fan, but I've always loved Sheppard. He will forever be missed.

RIP, Mr. Sheppard.

Here a great article IMO from NY Daily News MLB editor Bill Madden on Bob Sheppard.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2010/07/11/2010-07-11_voice_of_the_bronx_bombers_dies_at_99.html

While he will never be replaced, the current PA at Yankee Stadium, Paul Oden who began his career as TV/Radio Play-Play Man for Yanks in the early '90's (aka Phil Rizzuto's final TV partner along w/ Tom Seaver on WPIX/Ch.11 when they used to broadcast 'free over the air' games) is an excellent pick IMO to permemently get the job.

PS I know the Yanks have had great announcers over the years from Mel Allen, Red Barber, Phil Rizzuto, Bill White, Frank Messer, etc. over the years but just like when Harry Kalas died last year w/ the Phillies I hope the Yank rename the the broadcast booth at the 'new' stadium in Bob Sheppard's name. Along with creating a scholarship for talented young college students who want a career in Broadcasting in his name as well.

OMG! :cry: Mr. Sheppard was blessed with a long life and saw many great players as the PA announcer for the Yankees (1951-2007) and the Football Giants (1956-2006).

During the Yankees first game after the loss of Captain Thurman Munson, Mr. Sheppard read a poem he had written in The Captain's memory.

From a mets fan I will miss him,people like him don't come around very long. He should go into the hall of fame as a P.A

Announcer. Derek JEH TAH.

Agreed. I don't think the Baseball HOF will create a PA announcer wing in Cooperstown but instead put in Mr. Sheppard as a broadcaster. That honor is known as the Frick award and normally given to those announcers who had a career either as a TV or Radio announcer or other media for at least 20 years.

I would support 100% making Sheppard the first PA announcer to get that Frick Award honor.

Guys what you think of the NY Daily News in it's editorial slamming the Yankee players for not attending Bob Sheppard's funeral?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2010/07/16/2010-07-16_yanks_fail_to_show_stripes.html

I think it's a shame that not at least a few players especially Jeter did not go. The only ones I give a pass to not going are the ones who have been w/ the team, less than a season ie Granderson or those who had an important matter ie their kid being sick. The team itself did a great tribute w/ Odell leaving the PA booth empty for last night's (7/16/10)game vs the Rays.

Reactions?

Guys what you think of the NY Daily News in it's editorial slamming the Yankee players for not attending Bob Sheppard's funeral?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2010/07/16/2010-07-16_yanks_fail_to_show_stripes.html

I think it's a shame that not at least a few players especially Jeter did not go. The only ones I give a pass to not going are the ones who have been w/ the team, less than a season ie Granderson or those who had an important matter ie their kid being sick. The team itself did a great tribute w/ Odell leaving the PA booth empty for last night's (7/16/10)game vs the Rays.

Reactions?

R.I.P. Wow I was reading no Yankee went to the funeral!? wonder what that was about?

Supposedly no one in the organization told any of the players where or when the funeral was to be held. Jeter has been quoted as saying that he "didn't even know [sheppard's] funeral was [Thursday]," and Mariano Rivera was "unaware" that no players attended, as reported in today's Daily News.

Archived