Access a ride

Igor Gaysinsky

Greetings all, newbie here. Found site while researching AAR. Recently got my B permit with passenger and air brakes and am considering becoming an AAR driver ( I know I'd need at least a C-class before I can even apply). I'd like to know the names of some providers that covers the 5 boroughs. I've visited Professional Transit, and now know of Maggie's due to this thread. Heard of CareRide, All Transit, Empire, TFM. What are some others? Also, would like input (objective or subjective) as to which are the best/better ones from a service and employees point of view. TIA.

ok so u have b permit try to go for school bus endoursment to and get a job as a school bus driver. this job is not easy trust me i`ve been doing it for 1 year and half now it`s not easy but try to go to the access a ride with atu 1181 union that`s a good union i have the one under it on paper here they are

brooklyn

maggie`s

TC trans care

mv para transit

bronx

GVC 1

gvc 2

I also have some school bus companys there names on paper at home

ok so u have b permit try to go for school bus endoursment to and get a job as a school bus driver. this job is not easy trust me i`ve been doing it for 1 year and half now it`s not easy but try to go to the access a ride with atu 1181 union that`s a good union i have the one under it on paper here they are

brooklyn

maggie`s

TC trans care

mv para transit

bronx

GVC 1

gvc 2

I also have some school bus companys there names on paper at home

oh and one more thing the dispatchers some will rush u don`t ever rush take ur time and keep your lincese clean and u will go to other boro`s to i`ve been all over.

mvp staten island

training 9 dollars an hours

3 months probation on ur own 11 dollars an hour

after probation 12 an hour

after 1 year 12.50 an hour

after 2 years 13 an hour

after 3 years 14 an hour

after 4 years 15 an hour

after 5 years 16 an hour

thats the top after 5 year 16.

but i don`t get 40 hours a week a get like between 30 to 38 hours a week or less.

Man that sounds like a hard racket, especially at that pay rate. I hope you get hired by TA soon. So at least the starting pay will be more than your top pay.

Man that sounds like a hard racket, especially at that pay rate. I hope you get hired by TA soon. So at least the starting pay will be more than you top pay.

yeap will this is were i`m coming from honestly even if it payed the same as ta i still would take the ta over that anyday of the week or month that`s my honesty

$11 to 16 dollars an hour I would never risk ruining my license driving those 6 wheeled vans. Unreal, they blow smoke up your ass when you get your cdl that your going to make all this money, but unless you have some experience in the construction industry or over the road these companies pay you crumbs. Its sad. Thats why the school bus companies love the retired folks because at that rate they can still live while collecting there pensions and 401k's and what not. No thanks.

Igor it's not that easy to get with a school bus company, at least not on Staten Island. Pioneer wasn't even taking apps and I'm on the list for Atlantic Express but they had laid off drivers so if they hire again those drivers go back first. Also, I don't know where it was said you needed a C license for Paratransit, I could've went to MV Transit here but just didn't want to risk any problems for $10/hr, (I have the :P especially hearing how they pressure you.

Superior bus I think was hiring in Brooklyn. I am always sceptical of companies that are always looking for drivers.

Igor it's not that easy to get with a school bus company, at least not on Staten Island. Pioneer wasn't even taking apps and I'm on the list for Atlantic Express but they had laid off drivers so if they hire again those drivers go back first. Also, I don't know where it was said you needed a C license for Paratransit, I could've went to MV Transit here but just didn't want to risk any problems for $10/hr, (I have the :) especially hearing how they pressure you.

Superior bus I think was hiring in Brooklyn. I am always sceptical of companies that are always looking for drivers.[/QUO

yea Atlantic Express on the island is not 1181 i know some one that works there i might as well try Atlantic Express in brooklyn that is 1181

Igor it's not that easy to get with a school bus company, at least not on Staten Island. Pioneer wasn't even taking apps and I'm on the list for Atlantic Express but they had laid off drivers so if they hire again those drivers go back first. Also, I don't know where it was said you needed a C license for Paratransit, I could've went to MV Transit here but just didn't want to risk any problems for $10/hr, (I have the :) especially hearing how they pressure you.

Superior bus I think was hiring in Brooklyn. I am always sceptical of companies that are always looking for drivers.

yea they do pressure me i told them ask me again how long until i get to my next call they kept doing it and i said to them on the radio and i will turn the bus around bring it back and go home meaning leave me alone because i`m in traffic i would tell them. then the passenegers say to me ur late i tell them that`s how the mta did my sechdule u call them and scream and curse at them and i even tell them were there address to the main head quaters is. it on 3300 nothern blvd in long island city queens. I told them u can call and book a trip there if ur on my list for the next ride i`ll be happy to take u there for 2.25 so u can go and complan there.

• 2 months later...

Hello Igor; does any or anyone know for that matter if ( Access A Ride ) is still currently hiring in staten island? also what are the qualifications ? Thank you to anyone can give me a speedy reply; and or just email me direct @ onlineshortt!@yahoo.com

• 1 month later...

I drive for an access-a-ride company at the time I was hired I was given $13.50 an hour to start. All I can say about working for an access-a-ride company is that you will learn more about driving and you will go to places you never been before. Not even taxi drivers can handle this kind of work. When I started in my class we had 5 taxi drivers..mind you they have years of driving in the city..but after two weeks working they ran for the hills.. The job was to much for them.. Oh this company is in the bronx.. You must have a C class with an P endorsement.

I drive for an access-a-ride company at the time I was hired I was given $13.50 an hour to start. All I can say about working for an access-a-ride company is that you will learn more about driving and you will go to places you never been before. Not even taxi drivers can handle this kind of work. When I started in my class we had 5 taxi drivers..mind you they have years of driving in the city..but after two weeks working they ran for the hills.. The job was to much for them.. Oh this company is in the bronx.. You must have a C class with an P endorsement.

yea that company is gvc i work for the access a ride company in staten island MVP and there is one in Harlem to in the city. i started out with 11 an hour to start with when i was hired then it went to 12 an hour after 90 days and now im at 12.50 an hour after a year

GVC had an ad for school bus drivers driving mentally and developmentally disabled children. I called about a year ago and they told me mostly wheelchair buses, I never filled out an app. Does anyone know what working for the school bus side of gvc is like?

The reason why I didn't even bother with them a year ago is because of the pay!!! The pay seems to get lower and lower every couple of months for driving a bus! It is because of companies like GVC, then other companies follow... Hey if someone will drive a medical wagon for $10+change-$11.50, they'll be happy to go to city sights out of Brooklyn making garbage to risk their CDL making loops around manhattan driving a double decker. Hey maybe they'll take a job driving handicapped kids on a fixed route for little money, hey the pay sucks but it's a fixed route, avoid the craziness of access-a-ride and driving a tour bus in manhattan.

Hey you'll qualify for welfare and the kid working at the burger joint makes more $ than you, but I'll see you driving down the road with a big smile on your face, driving that bus like you accomplished something.

I recently called rides unlimited nassau/suffolk and they are looking for people to drive vans around brooklyn and queens, for $10.35 an hour!!!!!! (I know a guy who makes sandwiches for more $!) Yea it's a van, but I'm still a professional driver and (I don't know about you) but such a low wage is a slap in the face! They even had the audacity to tell me "the wage is set by the union" when I was kind of shocked by they wage. Yea, I'm sure they wanted to pay more but the big bad union wouldn't let them. B) What would they be starting off drivers if it was not for the union? Minimum wage?

The sad part is some people reading this thread will actually call up Rides Unlimited to get that $10.35/hr job. I'll see them driving that van with a huge smile on their face. I'll have no idea why they're smiling...? Probably because they will see me looking at them driving the van, giving them a sense that I wished it was me, or maybe it's the fact of knowing they beat the other fool to the job you can't live off of!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, Igor Gaysinsky, I have a few questions about access a ride the first questions is do all access a ride cars such as big vans and small cars have there own GPS built into the car or do I have to buy one or does the company provide me with one ?

Second Question is, how do we get the calls by CB Radios or by Computer ?

Third Question does the dispatchers decide who to give the call to or do we have to call the CB dispatcher to give us that call, like cab drivers do ?

I need to know these questions because I have a Class C License and am planning on applying for this job but before apply I want to know what am walking myself into.

Yes, Igor Gaysinsky, I have a few questions about access a ride the first questions is do all access a ride cars such as big vans and small cars have there own GPS built into the car or do I have to buy one or does the company provide me with one ?

Second Question is, how do we get the calls by CB Radios or by Computer ?

Third Question does the dispatchers decide who to give the call to or do we have to call the CB dispatcher to give us that call, like cab drivers do ?

I need to know these questions because I have a Class C License and am planning on applying for this job but before apply I want to know what am walking myself into.

If you don't mind i'll bee happy to answer your questions I also work at MVP in Staten Island! In each vehicle there is a computer called an AVLM and yes each computer is equiped with a gps. It is however better for you to to buy your own because the built in gps is somewhat outdated and at times extremely inaccurate! We are given nextel phones everyday which are basically the same as cb radios. As far as calls are concerned, this is where the AVLM is used, along with functioning as a gps it also displays a list of your calls as well as what time to pick up & drop off! It also lets your dispatcher know were you are so they may add on or remove calls from your route without calling you on the radio! About the most contact you'll have with your dispatcher is letting he or she know you'll be late to a call so they can assign another driver if possible to that call! :tup:

Archived