Access a ride

Igor Gaysinsky

What do they pay? Are they hiring? benefits?

they pay 9 bucks an hour for training 11 bucks for 90 days because ur on probation and 12 after probation and the top pay is 16 bucks an hour after 5 years this is on staten island divison mvp and theres another one in harlem but this job is very stressfull i`ll be honest with u and they don`t give u enuff time to get there were u need to go and the union i have here is 707 teamsters but theres another union trying to come 1181 amalgamated transit union which is good and better yes they are hiring what boro do u live in. this company does not give me 40 hours a week garrentted and i don`t get 8 hours a day the benefits here not that good or great.

1181 union heres there access a ride companys in there union

mvt brooklyn

atlantic para transit brooklyn

maggies brooklyn

gvc bronx

gvc 2 bronx soon will have 1181

i don`t know what they offer

but mvp that i know what they have.

Was that you Igor that cut me off yesterday afternoon on Queens Blvd? haha..now I know why they drive like they do,they are being rushed by both the dispatcher and the

clients.

Thing is that I sometimes see them taking a break, so is there some downtime during the workday? or is it non stop

driving from the beginning to the end of your shift?

But you are putting your CDL B to good use,even though the pay isn't that great. There is a high turnover rate for this job right? I would only do it if it was P/T 20 hrs a week tops and driving within Brooklyn/Queens and Manhattan. They have 4 door cars also that also work for para transit,do those guys make the same $$ as you do Igor? I bet most drivers don't last

5+ yrs when they reach top pay. Still is better then delivering pizza,packages or auto parts

with your own vehicle. The wear and tear on those type of jobs will shorten your vehicles lifespan.

Was that you Igor that cut me off yesterday afternoon on Queens Blvd? haha..now I know why they drive like they do,they are being rushed by both the dispatcher and the

clients.

Thing is that I sometimes see them taking a break, so is there some downtime during the workday? or is it non stop

But you are putting your CDL B to good use,even though the pay isn't that great. There is a high turnover rate for this job right? I would only do it if it was P/T 20 hrs a week tops and driving within Brooklyn/Queens and Manhattan. They have 4 door cars also that also work for para transit,do those guys make the same $$ as you do Igor? I bet most drivers don't last

5+ yrs when they reach top pay. Still is better then delivering pizza,packages or auto parts

with your own vehicle. The wear and tear on those type of jobs will shorten your vehicles lifespan.

The place in maspeth is always looking for drivers, also some of these guys have no clue how to drive on both street and highway. And because there dispatcher is on there ass all the time, and I know this because I used to tow and its almost the same environment these guys get nervouse and start flying around town trying to get there passengers. If I had to work there I'd want to be in the crown vic all day.

Also I don't think you get a lunch break its a straight 8 hours, what I want to know is why are they not giving this kid a full 40 hour week if there always looking for drivers.To me that means that there are alot of buses sitting in the yard not making money, unless theres some other reason why there not letting him go out everyday.

Yeah I know which one you are talking about in Maspeth, maybe Igor has to bring this issue up with his union rep. Yeah I would rather be in the crown vic as well instead of that jumbo sized mini bus. So the send the drivers all over,yeah that is a problem if you have a bad sense of direction. Hell I can still easily get lost in some parts of Queens and I was born here.

The job looks too easy for me, since i know how to get around all 5 boro's and long island with my eyes closed I would make the company so much money, especially when you don't have to go truck routes! omg I should call up tomorrow.

clients.

No that wasn`t me in queens i don`t go to queens i go to brooklyn , manhatten and staten island. they can give you part time if u ask but this job is a high turn over job when i started out my senority number was 196 now it`s at 168 but yea the dispatchers do rush me i tell them i`m taking my time case closed that`s what i tell them on thr radio and i gotta keep my lincese clean. they do have computers in the car called avlm it`s a computer u log in ur nyct id and they keep track of were u r the company and the ta so if ur late they do move a call to another driver and the 4 door crown vic cars yes they pay the same a driving a mini bus that`s y i try to stay with the car becasue they pay the same and less work no wheel chair and it`s easier to drive and u can go anywere but with the mini bus weight restriction fdr drive can`t go past east 23 street exit not allowed between e 23 up to e 125 exit for fdr drive the belt parkway gotta get off at flatbush ave exit

• 4 weeks later...

hello i am new to the site and i have been driving as a corporate limo driver for about two years now and the business is really bad these days i live in Staten island also, and was thinking about working for access a ride.

I do believe i need at miniunim CDL class c with a passenger endorsement correct? to drive the sedan how should i go about doing this and what would it cost? thanks!

hello i am new to the site and i have been driving as a corporate limo driver for about two years now and the business is really bad these days i live in Staten island also, and was thinking about working for access a ride.

I do believe i need at miniunim CDL class c with a passenger endorsement correct? to drive the sedan how should i go about doing this and what would it cost? thanks!

we are located on 1957 richmond terrace and u need a cdl c lincese but this company has a weak union 707 teamsters were trying get an election going to vote 707 out and try to get 1181 atu union in it`s better and the hours they give me is in the low 30`s or upper 30`s per week over here we don`t get 40 hours a week. u need to go to the dmv and get a c class lincese and when u go and apply bring in ur drivers abstract and then u fill out a application on there computer then they send u for a drug test by heartland village u gotta drive there once u take ur drug test they give u the paper work there and u bring it back to the company u appled for the pay training 9 bucks an hour probation 90 days 11 bucks an hour after ur probation is up 12 bucks an hour and u get a 50 cents raise every year after 5 yeras ur top pay is 16 per hour. they don`t give u enuff time to get to ur calls on time some times and if the dispatcher rushes u don`t rush take ur time the teacher u will have there his name is smitty he will tell u saftey 1st . ok i`m going to work if u have any more questions feel free to ask .

Speaking off Access-A-Ride, do you know about LIB Able-A-Ride?

what do you need to know. if i had a choice i would go with able ride from LIB or paratransit which is also what they call it..

http://mta.info/libus/employment/open_house/open_house.htm

but call the number and follow the correct prompts and select employment 516-542-0100

From what I remember...

I think LIB has two garages for Able-Ride, both in Garden City one a facility for only Able-Ride Vehicle and a location at LIB's main facility in Garde3n City.

I think training is a month and full pay, 40 hours a week.

After that it is "part-time" but when I filled out an app. the lady there for LIB said it depends on your availability, she has people get out of training and work 40 hours because they are available 40 hours. So yes, you can/will work part-time, unless you tell them you are available full time and want to work full time.

The first step is to call 888-363-8285 and make an appointment to fill out an application.

When you go to fill out an application an MTA LIB employee will take all of you who made an appointment to fill an application at that day/time into a classroom type of room to fill out the application. They will also explain the job to you, pay benefits etc. to the group. They will explain they are hiring for two jobs, Able ride and LABO (Limited Availability Bus Operator) AKA driving a "big bus" part time, which requires a years experience.

Pay for both is $14.50 or $14.75 I forget. With Able-Ride you get a pay raise every so often, with LABO there is no pay increase until you get hire "full-time."

If you want to drive the regular LIB but lack experience, Able-Ride is a great opportunity because you can apply for LABO after (I think) 6 months, but they encourage you to talk with your supervisor first because they made it sound like there are only so many people selected and you are essentially competing against other Able-Ride drivers for the spot in the LABO training and you cannot apply again for a certain amount of time if you are not picked.

libus0730.jpg

http://www.mta.info/news/stories/?story=89

Last summer, MTA Long Island Bus's Able-Ride service added four-door sedans to its paratransit fleet as part of a pilot program to diversify its mix of vehicles. Now it's getting ready to take the next step by looking at "purpose-built wheelchair accessible vehicles." These ADA compliant vehicles cost approximately $40,000 each while a paratransit bus costs about $100,000.

With the need for paratransit service continuing to grow throughout the MTA service territory, a key strategic initiative is to address this increasing demand for service while maximizing cost efficiencies. Maintenance for these vehicles costs about half of what it does on the larger buses.

"One area of opportunity lies in identifying a vehicle that is better suited for paratransit demand responsive service," said Thomas J. Charles, Vice President of Paratransit Services for the MTA.

Today more than 14 million Americans need mobility devices such as wheelchairs, crutches, or walkers to travel. In the past, that meant utilizing a large framed bus that could support the heavy hydraulics to operate a lift. Expensive to maintain, operate and purchase, these buses served a purpose but require carrying a large number of customers to make trips more cost efficient. Typically, paratransit trips are scheduled in a sequential manner with individual pick-ups and drop offs at discrete addresses common with demand responsive transportation.

Recently, the manufacturer of the First Mobility Vehicle, or MV-1, took their demonstrator car to the Stewart Avenue depot in Garden City, to get reaction from the disabled community on Long Island. Looking more like a mini-SUV than a paratransit bus, the MV-1 was designed around the idea of accessibility.

"It's based on standard taxi in London," said Dave Schembri, CEO of Vehicle Production Group LLC (VPG), which will begin production manufacturing the vehicles as early as this fall. "We saw the same concept could be used to solve accessibility issues."

According to Schembri, past efforts at creating such vehicles failed because they attempted to retrofit existing designs for paratransit travel, driving up the cost and not meeting ADA requirements. Similar to fixed route buses, the MV-1 has a deployable ramp that carries a 1,200-pound capacity and can sit five passengers — including two forward-facing wheelchairs or scooters. The ADA compliant vehicle is available in either gasoline or compressed natural gas (CNG) models.

In addition to applications for paratransit fleets, ramp accessible vehicles like the MV-1 can also serve the taxi, limo and black car industries. Once universally accessible vehicles are the industry norm, Able-Ride and Access-A-Ride can further reduce operating costs by expanding their transportation networks to provide paratransit customers with access to local taxi or car service.

From what I remember...

I think LIB has two garages for Able-Ride, both in Garden City one a facility for only Able-Ride Vehicle and a location at LIB's main facility in Garde3n City.

I think training is a month and full pay, 40 hours a week.

After that it is "part-time" but when I filled out an app. the lady there for LIB said it depends on your availability, she has people get out of training and work 40 hours because they are available 40 hours. So yes, you can/will work part-time, unless you tell them you are available full time and want to work full time.

The first step is to call 888-363-8285 and make an appointment to fill out an application.

When you go to fill out an application an MTA LIB employee will take all of you who made an appointment to fill an application at that day/time into a classroom type of room to fill out the application. They will also explain the job to you, pay benefits etc. to the group. They will explain they are hiring for two jobs, Able ride and LABO (Limited Availability Bus Operator) AKA driving a "big bus" part time, which requires a years experience.

Pay for both is $14.50 or $14.75 I forget. With Able-Ride you get a pay raise every so often, with LABO there is no pay increase until you get hire "full-time."

If you want to drive the regular LIB but lack experience, Able-Ride is a great opportunity because you can apply for LABO after (I think) 6 months, but they encourage you to talk with your supervisor first because they made it sound like there are only so many people selected and you are essentially competing against other Able-Ride drivers for the spot in the LABO training and you cannot apply again for a certain amount of time if you are not picked.

able ride is only part time. you pick your runs/hours in seniority order. with able ride you get full coverage but you have to work at min of 30 hours i believe or something like that.

also you dont want to go from able ride to a LABO driver you will lose your medical coverage. you want to go to a full time line bus operator.

twty22, how long does it take an average LABO or Able-Ride Driver to get to full time line bus driver? I understand that is probably a guesstimate at best...

Have you heard any info as to when they might have the next class up in the Bronx for LABO?

Thanks!

twty22, how long does it take an average LABO or Able-Ride Driver to get to full time line bus driver? I understand that is probably a guesstimate at best...

Have you heard any info as to when they might have the next class up in the Bronx for LABO?

Thanks!

as far is how long does it take to go full time depends on how clean you keep your file, no violations or accidents,

it takes at least 1 yr to go to a full time line driver, but it can take longer.

they just hired 9 LABO drivers and are in training right now.

so for the next class who knows...

Thanks.

Do you know why (MTA) Long Island Bus's Able-A-Ride charge $3.75 ride?

where can you go from door to door for $ 3.75 one way. example when i drove for them i would pick someone up in great neck and take them to jones beach like 20+ miles one way. try that with a cab..

• 1 month later...
I hope this doesn't effect you Igor. I didn't know the MTA spent that much money per year on paratransit.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20101006/SMALLBIZ/101009915

It's the frist step now hopefully they don't take a step backwards and find other companies to replace them because it would defeat the purpose

Archived