Veterans, many of whom were minorities, burned by judge tossing 'biased' FDNY exam

Harry

Veterans who dreamed of joining the FDNY vented frustration yesterday with a judge's decision to cancel a class of firefighters because he said the test they took was biased.

"The people who are supposed to be getting helped [by this ruling] could be the one getting hurt," said Nafis Sabir, a 33-year-old African-American man who spent eight years in the Marine Reserves.

"I feel pretty frustrated," said Sabir, one of 50 military veterans among the 312 candidates set to enter the department. "I didn't see where the racial bias [was] coming from.

"If I never got to become a firefighter, I would have a pretty bitter taste in my mouth," added Sabir, who was deployed to Kuwait in 2003.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/08/06/2010-08-06_burned_by_fdny_flap_veterans_set_to_enter_fire_academy_angry_judge_tossed_biased.html#ixzz0vpgHLWgF

post-1-133288582131_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288582131_thumb.jpg

I don't get how a test can be biased against a certain class.

The argument was that you had to be educated to answer the questions because there SAT like questions. It was argued that minorities are uneducated so they were at a disadvantage and the test is biased.

Liberal racism?

liberal |ˈlib(ə)rəl|

adjective

1 the values of a liberal society tolerant, unprejudiced, unbigoted, broad-minded, open-minded, enlightened; permissive, free, free and easy, easygoing, libertarian, indulgent, lenient. antonym narrow-minded, bigoted.

2 a liberal social agenda progressive, advanced, modern, forward-looking, forward-thinking, progressivist, enlightened, reformist, radical. antonym reactionary, conservative.

Dictionaries: not just for crossword puzzles. :)

- A

Liberal racism?

liberal |ˈlib(ə)rəl|

adjective

1 the values of a liberal society tolerant, unprejudiced, unbigoted, broad-minded, open-minded, enlightened; permissive, free, free and easy, easygoing, libertarian, indulgent, lenient. antonym narrow-minded, bigoted.

2 a liberal social agenda progressive, advanced, modern, forward-looking, forward-thinking, progressivist, enlightened, reformist, radical. antonym reactionary, conservative.

- A

More of the same liberal holier-than-thou bullshit. Got anything new to say, Keith?

Liberal racism?

liberal |ˈlib(ə)rəl|

adjective

- A

If your dumb enough to buy that pile of bull shit, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Go onnnnnn, Play the race card...

*pumps fists*

*puts bass in his voice*

Play ittttttttttt.....

lol... classic quote

in any event, you know some tests or questionnaires that asks what race you are....

I never answer that part.... Ever.

Dictionaries: not just for crossword puzzles.

any dictionary that has the same word in its definition as the word that's being defined, I wouldn't consider using...

The argument was that you had to be educated to answer the questions because there SAT like questions. It was argued that minorities are uneducated so they were at a disadvantage and the test is biased.

My impression of the whole thing is they are arguing that one has to be more educated in order to answer the questions. Not just educated. There are many people who are highly educated and can't take a standardized test to save their life. Its really about whose more educated, and who's less educated. The guy above was a Marine. So right there says he has some education. Even if not much. Therefore. If you are offering a position to people who are less educated, or uneducated, it is obviously biased if they ask SAT type questions! I'm not on the inside, but this screams out "yeah we did it on purpose so the ignorant people don't even stand a chance."

My impression of the whole thing is they are arguing that one has to be more educated in order to answer the questions. Not just educated. There are many people who are highly educated and can't take a standardized test to save their life. Its really about whose more educated, and who's less educated. The guy above was a Marine. So right there says he has some education. Even if not much. Therefore. If you are offering a position to people who are less educated, or uneducated, it is obviously biased if they ask SAT type questions! I'm not on the inside, but this screams out "yeah we did it on purpose so the ignorant people don't even stand a chance."

Bull Shit, then why don't people sue over the PD, TA, and all the other city tests which are the same or very similar. Someone saw that there were only a few minorities in the FDNY and they wanted to change something that does not need to be changed. Has anyone ever thought that if more Blacks, Hispanics, or Asians wanted the job, they would just take the test?

Bull Shit, then why don't people sue over the PD, TA, and all the other city tests which are the same or very similar. Someone saw that there were only a few minorities in the FDNY and they wanted to change something that does not need to be changed. Has anyone ever thought that if more Blacks, Hispanics, or Asians wanted the job, they would just take the test?

...regarding the test?

or

...regarding the number of minorities in the FDNY?

...regarding the test?

or

...regarding the number of minorities in the FDNY?

Both, I think it is just that many minorities don't want the job for one reason or another. As long as they can do the job, race is not an issue. If race was an issue with the FDNY, why are there so many minorities in FDNY EMS?

Archived