Question about 34th St. PATH connection

NumberOne

I recently did the subway-to-PATH connection at 34th Street, but I ended up going outside and entering the PATH station from the ground-level staircase in Greeley Square. I felt like I had done way too much walking. Does anyone know the quickest way to get to the 34th Street PATH from the 34th Street/Penn Station subway?

From the 34th Street-Herald Square (;)(D)(F)(M)(N)(Q)(R) complex, there is an underground passage to PATH 33d Street.

IIRC, the underground passage from Penn Station to 34th Street-Herald Square was closed in the 1990's and you have to walk on West 34th Street to reach 34th Street-Herald Square and PATH 33d Street.

From the 34th Street-Herald Square (;)(D)(F)(M)(N)(Q)(R) complex, there is an underground passage to PATH 33d Street.

IIRC, the underground passage from Penn Station to 34th Street-Herald Square was closed in the 1990's and you have to walk on West 34th Street to reach 34th Street-Herald Square and PATH 33d Street.

I think it was closed much earlier than that.

I might be off, but I think the Gimbel's passage that connected PATH 33d Street with Penn Station was closed in the 1980's while the underground passage that connected Penn Station with 34th Street-Herald Square station closed in the 1990's.

There was only one passage.

Thanks, folks! That explains why I ended up walking east on 33rd street from Penn Station to Herald Square. Maybe when the THE tunnel is completed along with the new street entrance at 34th and 7th Avenue there will be underground access again. Of course for me, once the THE is operating I'd no longer need to take the PATH train...

If you're at Penn Station, exit at 32nd St/7th Av by (NJT) New Jersey Transit Trains, and walk north side of 32nd Street straight to 6th Av for elevator or entrance at Manhattan Mall

When I used PATH, I usually go on first car of downtown (:((D)(F)(M)(N)(Q)(R) because this side is much closer to 33rd St entrance.

If I used PATH at WTC, I go on last car on Brooklyn-bound (4)(5) to Fulton St.

If I used PATH at WTC, I go on last car on Brooklyn-bound (4)(5) to Fulton St.

If you stand at the back of the third to last car or the front of the second to last car, you'll line right up with the exit.

I know if I'm trying to make a connection to a PATH train, I'm always back there and ready to takeoff.

Archived