LIRR fire knocks out all but one line on Long Island Railroad system

Harry

The only explanation I can think up for how the rain started the fire is this: Water from the rain must have somehow gotten into the electrical system of the control tower at a point where insulation/rain protection was faulty. Once that happens you have an almost guaranteed electrical fire. As to how this managed to FUBAR everything except for Port Washington, that is pretty straightforward. If you look at the LIRR route map and check out the station area you will see that there is a maze of interlockings on each side of the station and every LIRR line except the Port Washington Branch goes through those interlockings. Jamaica Station also houses the control tower that, unless I am wrong, sets the switches and clears the signals for each individual train entering and leaving the station as well as (i believe) acting as the primary control tower for much of the LIRR east of Jamaica. If that goes down, then trains are unable to move beyond the next unset interlock because there is no way to set it for them. What blows me away is that Jamaica doesn't have a secondary or tertiary control tower capable of taking over if something like this happened. I agree with the others on this forum, it is about time LIRR got some major infrastructure upgrades.

Thanks kid.:tup:

I looked on the MTA's site and it said that 66% of the regular 127 trains they run during the evening rush hour would run.

That means that 83.84 trains would run. I suppose they'll just take the last car or two off of the 83rd train.

...Or it'll just be 84 trains. Just round the number to the nearest whole number up.

I know a lot of people who were greatly inconvenienced by this fire... they could have used LI Bus, but that would have been a crazy travel time... Anyone know of any good alternatives?

Taxi.

I know a lot of people who were greatly inconvenienced by this fire... they could have used LI Bus, but that would have been a crazy travel time... Anyone know of any good alternatives?

The N4 stops by Jamaica Center, and the E does have a stop under Penn Station. Of course, Jamaica Center and the LIRR station are still quite a walk away. Hell, it's 10 minutes if you can cross the streets quick enough.

But then again, the N4 runs through the southern part of Nassau (Freeport-Baldwin-Rockville Centre-Lynbrook-Valley Stream-Laurelton-Jamaica)... and some people might not be able to access it.

People could find different ways into Manhattan - some LIB routes stop by subway stations.

Here's an update on LIRR's repairs. They are not just repairing , but they are putting in a BRAND NEW system update and using more technology in the switch tower. There will also be a new control room in Jamaica to monitor and watch the tower and trains.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDfiXRghLz8&feature=sub

Here's an update on LIRR's repairs. They are not just repairing , but they are putting in a BRAND NEW system update and using more technology in the switch tower. There will also be a new control room in Jamaica to monitor and watch the tower and trains.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDfiXRghLz8&feature=sub

Doesn't explain why the system went down to begin with which I still can't understand.

However hopefully the system is back to normal and will be even better preventing an outage in the future like this. The video claims that a relay went down during the electrical fire and shows a pic of it.

The technology used in the system was of old fashioned design and looked like it belonged in a museum.

In telecommunications we used to have relays like that in the old days.

The quicker Hall is modernized the better. System had to be shut down anyways in November just like Valley had to be shut down last time, for I believe 2 weekends.

Once Hall is modernized the train system will be first rate again. Shame that in the final days of Hall we saw a huge issue like this.

Technology has come a long way, unfortunately it seems like Hall was one of those old remaining components in the LIRR system. After the fix is in, commuters will be very happy indeed.

Doesn't explain why the system went down to begin with which I still can't understand.

However hopefully the system is back to normal and will be even better preventing an outage in the future like this. The video claims that a relay went down during the electrical fire and shows a pic of it.

The technology used in the system was of old fashioned design and looked like it belonged in a museum.

In telecommunications we used to have relays like that in the old days.

The quicker Hall is modernized the better. System had to be shut down anyways in November just like Valley had to be shut down last time, for I believe 2 weekends.

Once Hall is modernized the train system will be first rate again. Shame that in the final days of Hall we saw a huge issue like this.

Technology has come a long way, unfortunately it seems like Hall was one of those old remaining components in the LIRR system. After the fix is in, commuters will be very happy indeed.

Well it was kept the way it was because It does cost a lot and takes a lot to change it. Just like they say: If it works don't fix it. A great example of this is is the control room at Indian Point, in Peekskill. If you don't know, Indian Point is a Nuclear Plant in Peekskill NY which has been around for over 50 years. A couple of months ago I got to tour the facility as part of a Camp based on Energy. You would expect that now the control room would be state of the art with computers everywhere, but it wasn't. All of the main controls and buttons (Millions of them) were kept the same as it was 45 years ago, with the exception of about 6 Monitors that run on Microsoft 2000 and some new monitoring system. The head person of one of the Reactor Control rooms (There are 2 control rooms, 1 for each reactor) told us that it would take too much to change the system and that if it does not have to be fixed then it is not fixed.

And to answer your question about what damaged the switch tower in LIRR, many wires such as the ones shown were damaged. The relay that was shown was only one of the ones that was damaged in the fire.

I cannot believe that it takes years to finally replace old technology. Couldnt they have replaced this tech in the 70s or 80s.

For the umpteenth time, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a Model 14.

Archived