Jay Leno hits new lows as host of the "Tonight Show."

Shortline Bus

Jay Leno's 'Tonight Show' hits new low in ratings for key demographic

By Richard Huff

NY DAILY NEWS TV EDITOR

Friday, September 3rd 2010

"Word of NBC's "Tonight Show" hitting a new low with viewers in the much sought-after 18-to-49 demographic has set off a rash of chatter about host Jay Leno.

Leno has beaten the CBS rival "Late Show with David Letterman" in every normal week of programming since taking back "Tonight" in March. The milestone, however, has been overshadowed by the new ratings lows – during a summer of lows across television.

Leno has been averaging 3.8 million viewers since the end of the season, according to the Hollywood Reporter, a total that set off a frenzy after a well-publicized analysis of the numbers. The total is up 12% from a year ago, when Conan O'Brien hosted "Tonight," but off 23% with the 18-to-49-crowd.

The head-to-head comparison is notable, but perhaps also expected. Leno has always drawn an older audience, especially when compared with O'Brien.

Word of the Leno figures comes just days after O'Brien announced the name of his new TBS show would be "Conan." The O'Brien show, set to launch Nov. 8 at 11 p.m., is the latest twist in the late night landscape."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2010/09/03/2010-09-03_jay_lenos_tonight_show_hits_new_low_in_ratings_for_key_demographic.html#ixzz0yac5iBrK

None of those late night talk shows ever appealed to me. ...

never understood the ridiculous hype these shows get (especially david letterman)....

o/t a bit:

I still say Jimmy Kimmel was much funnier on his brief stint on ESPN (before he got banned... that's why his talk show caught on as quick as it did, when it first aired... the pub' he obtained, was (IMO) large in part from people who remembered him from ESPN)....

None of those late night talk shows ever appealed to me. ...

never understood the ridiculous hype these shows get (especially david letterman)....

o/t a bit:

I still say Jimmy Kimmel was much funnier on his brief stint on ESPN (before he got banned... that's why his talk show caught on as quick as it did, when it first aired... the pub' he obtained, was (IMO) large in part from people who remembered him from ESPN)....

Feel same way bro. Bring back Carson and to certain degree Arensio Hall lol.:)

If I am in the mood and depending on guest I may watch Letterman, Leno or Jon Stewart on Comedy Central. Not a fan of Kimmel.

And the reason bro(B35) why the late night talk shows are so important in the TV community is this. The majority of the late night tv audience is the college age/young adult crowd ages 18-30 who are the most important audience for commercials. You not seeing too many pre teens up at that hour anyhow.

Plus much of the new movie that are shown are shown first on the late night talk shows? Ditto for beer/wine ads as well.

If you are working in public relations at either Coke-Cola or Pepsi, who is more likely to buy your product? An 18-year freshmen in college or a 55 year old, Married working class person?

That the reason for the big deal in how late night talk shows are so important now.

Hope you understand B35.:eek:

Archived