Question About Metro North's M1/3A's

Bracamonte

M1/As are retired. Last time i saw one in service was early 2010 on the Harlem.

M3As run mainly during the rush hours after 4-8PM around. Am rush too.

Your best place is to catch anywhere along the Harlem Line. I catch them at Melrose to Williambridge a lot. If you don't wanna head to the Bronx or Westchester then, you can try Park Avenue Mainline(Manhattan)

Some pop out on the hudson line as well.

Like Mark said Mostly used on the Harlem Line best bet is to find them at fordham or just be by 149 gc to see all 3 lines of M2,3A,4,6,7A's and a few Diesels of push pull cars.

M8's comming soon but test at night.

Like Mark said Mostly used on the Harlem Line best bet is to find them at fordham or just be by 149 gc to see all 3 lines of M2,3A,4,6,7A's and a few Diesels of push pull cars.

M8's comming soon but test at night.

There wouldnt be a diff if hes at Fordham, he can be anywhere from Melrose and up on Harlem and catch em.

But i do agree on 149th and Park Avenue since u can catch all of it. But i usually prefer being on harlem.

Btw the dieseles are the Genesis P32AC-DM. Other would be GP35(MOW) around there.

And M8s are testing of course, one of my RR buds i know caught it going on the hudson line:

During rush hour, its M1/3A heaven on the Harlem line, because their home is in North White Plains Yard. A few run on the hudson during rush hours but the Harlem line is the best place to catch them. For the M8s, They go to the Hudson Line on Friday nights.

During rush hour, its M1/3A heaven on the Harlem line, because their home is in North White Plains Yard. A few run on the hudson during rush hours but the Harlem line is the best place to catch them. For the M8s, They go to the Hudson Line on Friday nights.

Sent you a message about this!

Straighforwardly, you'll get 1/4 M3A's going over the Hudson and the 3/4 M3A's going over the Harlem Line, you can catch more during rush hour, especially from 4pm-7pm, it comes in great scale, but I do recommend you going to like the Bronx to fan these lines since you can do both lines in that time span, also most of the M1A's are retired, and only few appear, so get them when you can before the M8's come in and possibly end up retiring em' too.

The M1/3 wont retire till the M9s are built which is a long time from now. Even then there will still be a few running. The M8s will retire the M2s and some M4s

You'll see more M3's on the Harlem because of the longer platforms, max number of cars in a M7 consist on the road is 8, but they run as many as 12 M3s on some trains.

You'll see more M3's on the Harlem because of the longer platforms, max number of cars in a M7 consist on the road is 8, but they run as many as 12 M3s on some trains.

They use 12 car sets on the Hudson as well. But also the main home of the M1/3As are North White Plains Yard

Power consumption, MNR doesn't have enough substations to power 12 M7A trains in certain sections of the railroad.

That's correct. M1/3As only use 600v of electricty while the M7s use more because of all te new electronics. LIRR is able to run more cars for M7As because it's 3rd rail carries more power.

• 1 month later...
M1/As are retired. Last time i saw one in service was early 2010 on the Harlem.

M3As run mainly during the rush hours after 4-8PM around. Am rush too.

Your best place is to catch anywhere along the Harlem Line. I catch them at Melrose to Williambridge a lot. If you don't wanna head to the Bronx or Westchester then, you can try Park Avenue Mainline(Manhattan)

Some pop out on the hudson line as well.

On the job I work out of Croton Harmon, 2 of my daily trains, Tuesday-Friday, are M-3As (Deadhead train #2425, turns for #426 @ Tarrytown)(MTA)(MTA)(MTA)(NYCT)(NYCT)(NYCT)

That's correct. M1/3As only use 600v of electricty while the M7s use more because of all te new electronics. LIRR is able to run more cars for M7As because it's 3rd rail carries more power.

Funny though cause in the yard occasionally we'll move around 14-16 M7's together, but that's usually because of large gaps in third rail.

Funny though cause in the yard occasionally we'll move around 14-16 M7's together, but that's usually because of large gaps in third rail.

Thats right. I've only seen that in Croton and they move at yard speeds. So then why don't we run 12 car M7 sets? Is it because we do't many 12 car platforms?

Thats right. I've only seen that in Croton and they move at yard speeds. So then why don't we run 12 car M7 sets? Is it because we do't many 12 car platforms?

NYC famously never expanded most of their platforms to 12 cars, whereas PRR and then NJT did, while closing smaller less busy stations, such as north rahway & south elizabeth.

- A

It's all about taking power, the section of yard where you'll see this in Croton there are some long gaps, the coach shop is being used to service electric equipment and there's no third rail on portions of those tracks because it was planned to be used for coach equipment. Plus at those speeds in the yard you're not taking much power. Rarely when you do see 8+ M7 sets on the main it's usually with restrictions on how much power the train can take.

It's all about taking power, the section of yard where you'll see this in Croton there are some long gaps, the coach shop is being used to service electric equipment and there's no third rail on portions of those tracks because it was planned to be used for coach equipment. Plus at those speeds in the yard you're not taking much power. Rarely when you do see 8+ M7 sets on the main it's usually with restrictions on how much power the train can take.

I see. A while back I remember watching them move a 10 car set from track to track in the yard. They had to keep moving back and forth to get to the track farthest from the station

Archived