Any chance of the Q50 getting extended from Co-op City to Queens College?

RhythmNBlues

Is there any remote possibility that the MTA would ever create a second line which would be an extended Q50 bus service to Queens College from Co-op City?

For instance, perhaps it would be called a Q50A and alternate by 10 minutes or so between the regular Q50 service and run just as frequently. It would run along the same route as the Q50. The only difference could be when it hits Main Street, it would then proceed to make one more stop (in front of the gate at Queens College). That is, Kissena Boulevard and Horace Harding Expressway.

This would be great for students who live in Co-op City and the Bronx. :tup::tup:Especially for those who rely on the service in order to come home from school late at night (10, 11 pm), normally having to rush and bite their nails on another bus to Main Street hoping to make it in order to avoid waiting a whole hour for the next one.

Is there any remote possibility that the MTA would ever create a second line which would be an extended Q50 bus service to Queens College from Co-op City?

For instance, perhaps it would be called a Q50A and alternate by 10 minutes or so between the regular Q50 service and run just as frequently. It would run along the same route as the Q50. The only difference could be when it hits Main Street, it would then proceed to make one more stop (in front of the gate at Queens College). That is, Kissena Boulevard and Horace Harding Expressway.

This would be great for students who live in Co-op City and the Bronx. :tup::tup:Especially for those who rely on the service in order to come home from school late at night (10, 11 pm), normally having to rush and bite their nails on another bus to Main Street hoping to make it in order to avoid waiting a whole hour for the next one.

I also second it's a really good idea. However we still in midst of a budget crisis so it won't be happening right away.

Either extending the Q50 to either LGA Airport or extending it via the old Q74 route to Kew Gardens (weekdays only) would also increase ridership.

Still i think you should write a letter to the (MTA) getting a pentition of at least 20 or more people including students at Queens College.

I also second it's a really good idea. However we still in midst of a budget crisis so it won't be happening right away.

Either extending the Q50 to either LGA Airport or extending it via the old Q74 route to Kew Gardens (weekdays only) would also increase ridership.

Still i think you should write a letter to the (MTA) getting a pentition of at least 20 or more people including students at Queens College.

even better combine the Q48 and the Q50

They should also extend the Springfield Blvd Q30 to Queensborough & Cardozo.

There's no need, since the Q27 stops like by the football field at Cardozo and goes onto the campus of Queensboro. Before this "crisis" began, there was talk about extending the now defunct Q75 to QCC

There's no need, since the Q27 stops like by the football field at Cardozo and goes onto the campus of Queensboro. Before this "crisis" began, there was talk about extending the now defunct Q75 to QCC

But that's an extra $2.25 or a long walk lol.

But I don't think it's a big deal to just have it turn down Springfield make those Q27's stops and terminate at Queensborough.

There is an almost billion dollar deficit.

They've cut routes. Routes that should not have been cut.

They're not going to be too agressive in creating new routes.

Are you a Queens College student living in Co-op City by any chance?

NYCT buses are not taxi's!

Let's see here... Bx23 > Q50 > Q17/25/34 towards Queens College...

That's an extra 2.25 and a lost transfer, but hey, what can you do? I'd consider transferring schools to lessen the burden. This isn't the pre-recession times when we had the liberty of going to far away places on $1.50/2.00 rides...

There is an almost billion dollar deficit.

They've cut routes. Routes that should not have been cut.

They're not going to be too agressive in creating new routes.

Are you a Queens College student living in Co-op City by any chance?

NYCT buses are not taxi's!

Why don't you cool it with the attitude? Both of my sons are Queens College students and I was just trying to suggest an idea. They won't create a bus like this, but they can have 55 million Q17 LIMITED buses running in Queens, right? Only to have more of them be mostly empty. I work in Queens myself over in Bayside, and I see this absurdity every single day. I don't think asking for the line from Co-op City to make one more stop is asking too much. As if Co-op City residents should consider the Q50 a privilege or something. Just like you said, it's a bus, not a taxi, right? An extra $2.25 in the MTA's pockets shouldn't be such a bad thing.

Let's see here... Bx23 > Q50 > Q17/25/34 towards Queens College...

That's an extra 2.25 and a lost transfer, but hey, what can you do? I'd consider transferring schools to lessen the burden. This isn't the pre-recession times when we had the liberty of going to far away places on $1.50/2.00 rides...

So, your saying that Co-op City residents should be thankful for a bus that arrives in Flushing (when it's actually not coming an hour late)? Don't give me that extra $2.25 stuff as if we should be thankful for such a wonderful line. It's a bus, not a privilege granted by the MTA...

Btw, the QBX1 was the first bus to have ever been placed in Co-op City (in 1968). Residents had to direct the drivers through the then-still dirt roads, (namely Bellamy Loop, Co-op City Boulevard and Baychester Avenue). So, it's no extra privilege since it's been around this long nor should it be considered as such anyway! It is a bus which should be built upon, not screwed with. Meanwhile, the Q44 runs like the morning rush during all hours of the day AND night. I think the Q50 can be expanded upon for one stop.

Why don't you cool it with the attitude? Both of my sons are Queens College students and I was just trying to suggest an idea. They won't create a bus like this, but they can have 55 million Q17 buses running in Queens, right? Only to have more of them be mostly empty. I work in Queens myself over in Bayside, and I see this absurdity every single day. I don't think asking for the line from Co-op City to make one more stop is asking too much. As if Co-op City residents should consider the Q50 a privilege or something. Just like you said, it's a bus, not a taxi, right? An extra $2.25 in the MTA's pockets shouldn't be such a bad thing.

an extra 2.25 in their pockets is negligible, considering the mta's "deficit"....

the frequency of the Q17 has squat to do with you wanting to extend the Q50 (for whatever reasons you state) to a college that's already adequately served by surface transit...

you can have a suggestion... no one's up here implying otherwise...

also, you mention the word privilege... interesting...

tied into this grand theory of yours that it would only be a "one stop" extension from roosevelt/main to queens college.... that is highly selfish...

but he's the one with the attitude ???

an extra 2.25 in their pockets is negligible, considering the mta's "deficit"....

the frequency of the Q17 has squat to do with you wanting to extend the Q50 (for whatever reasons you state) to a college that's already adequately served by surface transit...

you can have a suggestion... no one's up here implying otherwise...

also, you mention the word privilege... interesting...

tied into this grand theory of yours that it would only be a "one stop" extension from roosevelt/main to queens college.... that is highly selfish...

but he's the one with the attitude ???

right, and no one's up here implying otherwise, but you're the one being defensive about it...are you on the MTA board or something? The idea of the Q17 running as frequently as it does when there are little to no riders during those times has EVERYTHING to do with this. In fact, it's only the tip of the iceberg on how the money is being spread around and who's minding the store. This is only one of MANY buses which are ridiculously blown out of proportion and extended for no reason. Meanwhile, lots of others are desperately in need of extensions/limited service but don't even get a look.

And you call my suggestion a grand theory. It's not a theory, but a suggestion as you had already stated. How is suggesting a one stop extension being selfish? So, the riders should put up with the bus making a ridiculous turn onto Prince Street which adds MORE time to an already traffic-filled ride in the morning on the bridge instead of just stopping in front of the church. Try asking this to the riders who have to wait an extra half hour - 45 minutes (when the bus is always LATE) from both Co-op City..and especially in Flushing after the driver decided to go home at night and not do his route...where's that money going now? Who's being selfish then? Where's the dispatcher during those times? See my point of this entire suggestion? No, of course not, and I'm the one who's being selfish, right? Maybe if they worked on having those buses be on time at night so that my sons as well as the long line of 40-50 people don't have to get home at 1 in the morning, it would work smoothly (as stated in the schedule). Still should be more frequent, but we have to work on one thing at a time, right? They shouldn't have to wait for literally three hours until a bus decides to come. And yes, this has happened on many occasions.

They are not going to transfer schools because of the MTA's inadequacy. To the other poster who suggested that, your idea is ludicrous! My sons should NOT have to add more credits to transfer to a new school (meaning more money out of my family's pockets) just because a bus driver can't seem to run the bus on time? Now THAT'S selfish AND lazy on the MTA's part, mind you...

now I'm on the MTA board because I'm not waxing poetic about this ridiculous extension you think should happen.... yeah, ok...

Where was this outcry of yours when the Qbx1 was around....

...and if it's anything I'm "defending", is the gall you have to tell someone he has an attitude, because he's looking at things from a realistic, SYSTEM-wide standpoint... not solely for the feasibility of travel for your sons to get to & from school.....

How is suggesting a one stop extension being selfish?

I say it's selfish of you to want a route to run nonstop from flushing/main to Queens college... that distance is not all that close as you're making it out to be, by suggesting it should only be 1 stop on the Q50 b/w the two points... even if the route were to get extended there, it wouldn't be for no one stop, I can pretty much guarantee that....

...and furthermore, you shoot yourself in the foot with that second paragraph, somewhat... you say all that, but still think a near 2 mile long extension is warranted... as if that would SAVE time to a route to which you say riders already have to wait a 1/2 hour plus, for....

now I'm on the MTA board because I'm not waxing poetic about this ridiculous extension you think should happen.... yeah, ok...

Where was this outcry of yours when the Qbx1 was around....

...and if it's anything I'm "defending", is the gall you have to tell someone he has an attitude, because he's looking at things from a realistic, SYSTEM-wide standpoint... not solely for the feasibility of travel for your sons to get to & from school.....

I say it's selfish of you to want a route to run nonstop from flushing/main to Queens college... that distance is not all that close as you're making it out to be, by suggesting it should only be 1 stop on the Q50 b/w the two points... even if the route were to get extended there, it wouldn't be for no one stop, I can pretty much guarantee that....

...and furthermore, you shoot yourself in the foot with that second paragraph, somewhat... you say all that, but still think a near 2 mile long extension is warranted... as if that would SAVE time to a route to which you say riders already have to wait a 1/2 hour plus, for....

nah, you ain't runnin' for office, you just hope it'll fall in your lap, right?....and you're right, I'm not looking at it from a system-wide standpoint. That would be the way it's currently being done, and frankly it stinks. I'm looking at it from an every day, practical and person to person standpoint. Have you ever seen the lines in the morning and evening of people waiting too and from Co-op City/Main Street? Would you like to stand and wait for a bus at night to go home for three hours? I don't think so. Why do you insist on nitpicking at me instead of addressing the fact that those buses simply never come at Main Street to Co-op City and people have to wait for three hours at night? Don't tell me about 2 miles this, 1 mile that...maybe I wouldn't have to suggest this if the buses ran on time. It's like working standing up for people! How would like to get up at 5 in the morning and come 1:30 in the morning all week? Forget it though, you're most likely incapable of understanding from a personable standpoint of view. You only decide to see things from the MTA's strategic way and not what is really needed...

And I was not saying it's close...that's exactly why I suggested it in the first place. Should a bus be close in order to be extended? Remember, it wouldn't only serve Co-op City folks, but the Bronx and people going from Main Street to catch the Q88 and even 17's...GET RID OF THOSE EXTRA LIMITEDS!! (Keep some but not so frequent!!)

And why would you ask where I was during the QBX1 bus line? I've been taking that bus for 25 years and it's ALWAYS been like this. The route has ALWAYS undisciplined, late and WAYYY under served. I complained to the MTA countless times over the years. How would you know what I've done? I just found this forum in the last few weeks, btw. What has being here got to do with it? What do you mean, where have I been? You act as though whatever I would say will never matter anyway...again, why are the drivers not doing their jobs on this line? And if you want to say I'm selfish, fine. But, how about the Q27 lines? BX38.....Q30..BX 40/42....I can go on and on....and that's not even including the trains...

nah, you ain't runnin' for office, you just hope it'll fall in your lap, right?....and you're right, I'm not looking at it from a system-wide standpoint. That would be the way it's currently being done, and frankly it stinks. I'm looking at it from an every day, practical and person to person standpoint. Have you ever seen the lines in the morning and evening of people waiting too and from Co-op City/Main Street? Would you like to stand and wait for a bus at night to go home for three hours? I don't think so. Why do you insist on nitpicking at me instead of addressing the fact that those buses simply never come at Main Street to Co-op City and people have to wait for three hours at night? Don't tell me about 2 miles this, 1 mile that...maybe I wouldn't have to suggest this if the buses ran on time. It's like working standing up for people! How would like to get up at 5 in the morning and come 1:30 in the morning all week? Forget it though, you're most likely incapable of understanding from a personable standpoint of view. You only decide to see things from the MTA's strategic way and not what is really needed...

And I was not saying it's close...that's exactly why I suggested it in the first place. Should a bus be close in order to be extended? Remember, it wouldn't only serve Co-op City folks, but the Bronx and people going from Main Street to catch the Q88 and even 17's...GET RID OF THOSE EXTRA LIMITEDS!! (Keep some but not so frequent!!)

And why would you ask where I was during the QBX1 bus line? I've been taking that bus for 25 years and it's ALWAYS been like this. The route has ALWAYS undisciplined, late and WAYYY under served. I complained to the MTA countless times over the years. How would you know what I've done? I just found this forum in the last few weeks, btw. What has being here got to do with it? What do you mean, where have I been? You act as though whatever I would say will never matter anyway...again, why are the drivers not doing their jobs on this line? And if you want to say I'm selfish, fine. But, how about the Q27 lines? BX38.....Q30..BX 40/42....I can go on and on....and that's not even including the trains...

I'm being nitpicky about your.... attitude.

...and combating your selfish attitude... with a cynical attitude of my own.

The fact you keep mentioning MTA positions, in regards to how I'm portraying myself to you and your persistent whining.. and the fact you keep bringing up other routes to try to support your claims, shows you really don't have a leg to stand on with this Q50 idea.... Don't tell you about 2 miles this & that? Ok.... Then don't tell me about what time you have to get up in the morning.... Don't tell me how many times you've complained to the MTA... Don't ask me how would I know what the hell you've done....

but wait, it gets better with you....

this nonsense you pose before us, speaks volumes:

and you're right, I'm not looking at it from a system-wide standpoint. That would be the way it's currently being done, and frankly it stinks.

If this is the... attitude, you're going to come on here with, then why the hell should anyone be sympathetic to your plight....

The MTA provides a service to the general public.... While that may include you, that doesn't mean ONLY you.

This is what you, and many others that rant on about a particular route in the magnitude you continue to, don't seem to quite get...

I'm being nitpicky about your.... attitude.

...and combating your selfish attitude... with a cynical attitude of my own.

The fact you keep mentioning MTA positions, in regards to how I'm portraying myself to you and your persistent whining.. and the fact you keep bringing up other routes to try to support your claims, shows you really don't have a leg to stand on with this Q50 idea.... Don't tell you about 2 miles this & that? Ok.... Then don't tell me about what time you have to get up in the morning.... Don't tell me how many times you've complained to the MTA... Don't ask me how would I know what the hell you've done....

but wait, it gets better with you....

this nonsense you pose before us, speaks volumes:

If this is the... attitude, you're going to come on here with, then why the hell should anyone be sympathetic to your plight....

The MTA provides a service to the general public.... While that may include you, that doesn't mean ONLY you.

This is what you, and many others that rant on about a particular route in the magnitude you continue to, don't seem to quite get...

Let's get one thing straight. The only one with an attitude here is you. And I have plenty leg to stand on. I was only showing your stubborn mind how the Q50 is simply one of MANY mismanaged lines by the MTA. The text which I "posed before you and everyone" (which by the way is not some kind of a petition as you make it out to be) are the cold facts. Not whining, but call it what you want. Come see the lines of people for yourself and explain that. You can ask the hundreds of riders from the QBX1 (and now Q50) who are just as frustrated as I am. Let's not make this personal...

And you're right, it's not only for me and is for the general public. That's why I explained how it's not only this bus which needs changing but many others. Again, these buses are not privileges or taxis, right?

Let's get one thing straight. The only one with an attitude here is you. And I have plenty leg to stand on. I was only showing your stubborn mind how the Q50 is simply one of MANY mismanaged lines by the MTA. Let's not make this personal...

You phrase it like this because it puts you in a positive light.

I don't care how I come off... that's the difference b/w me & you, dude....

I'm certain anyone else that reads this little back & forth exchange would disagree with your little conclusion that I'm the only one exuding any attitude...

"Let's not make this personal"...

That right there tells me you feel threatened... Which isn't my intent on some internet forum, but if that's how you feel, that's how you feel.... Que Sera, Sera....

Telling someone they have an attitude b/c they don't necessarily see things your way... The sun doesn't rise and shine on you... the MTA's not gonna bend over backwards for you... and just in case none of that registered in any of your brain's lobes, you dubbing my mind stubborn doesn't get the Q50 extended "one stop" to Queens college.

The text which I "posed before you and everyone" (which by the way is not some kind of a petition as you make it out to be) are the cold facts. Not whining, but call it what you want. Come see the lines of people for yourself and explain that. You can ask the hundreds of riders from the QBX1 (and now Q50) who are just as frustrated as I am. Let's not make this personal...

And you're right, it's not only for me and is for the general public. That's why I explained how it's not only this bus which needs changing but many others. Again, these buses are not privileges or taxis, right?

So you added more to your post....

cool... quaint...

First off, who the hell said anything about a petition...

I'm talking about what you're posing to everyone on this forum...

You make this post with the assumption that I know nothing about the riders gripes with the QBx1... False, if you think that's the case... Furthermore, it's not the rest of those riders I have a problem with... They're not the ones bringing up a selfish route extension idea that I'm able to see & comment on...

So you added more to your post....

cool... quaint...

First off, who the hell said anything about a petition...

I'm talking about what you're posing to everyone on this forum...

You make this post with the assumption that I know nothing about the riders gripes with the QBx1... False, if you think that's the case... Furthermore, it's not the rest of those riders I have a problem with... They're not the ones bringing up a selfish route extension idea that I'm able to see & comment on...

That's good, keep the ball rollin'....

Not trying to get involved in this heated debate between B35 and RhythmNBlues but here my takes.

IMO being objective I think RhythmNBlues suggestion is not a terrible idea as I heard more 'far out' proposal on these boards that so unrealistic. If you did extend the Q50 to Queens College it should be a rush hour only line IMO. It could even be extended to Kew Gardens and replace the recently cancelled Q74.

However any major service increase to the Q50 or any (MTA) route in NYC, is not happening in near future due to the fiscal crisis.

Honestly I can quicker see a merger of the Q48/Q50 being a reality and having a route between LGA Airport and Coop, than I see the (MTA) adding a 3rd route along Main Street (Q44, Q20). The (MTA) will make argument that COOP/Bronx riders can transfer to '4' other bus lines, Q20, Q44 via Main and Q17 and Q25/34 via Kiseena between Main/Roosevelt and QC.

RhythmNBlues understand that alot of (MTA) personal including Bus Drivers and others are members of this site as well.

Yeah... I'll most certainly keep the ball rollin... thanks...

IMO being objective I think RhythmNBlues suggestion is not a terrible idea as I heard more 'far out' proposal on these boards that so unrealistic. If you did extend the Q50 to Queens College it should be a rush hour only line IMO. It could even be extended to Kew Gardens and replace the recently cancelled Q74.

However any major service increase to the Q50 or any route in NYC, is not happening in near future due to the fiscal crisis.

Honestly I can quicker see a merger of the Q48/Q50 being a reality and having a route between LGA Airport and Coop, than I see the adding a 3rd route along Main Street (Q44, Q20). The will make argument that COOP/Bronx riders can transfer to '4' other bus lines, Q20, Q44 via Main and Q17 and Q25/34 via Kiseena between Main/Roosevelt and QC.

RhythmNBlues understand that alot of personal including Bus Drivers and others are members of this site as well.

Yeh bro, I've seen some wild ones also....

This idea here isn't the absolute worst one in the world, but it's highly selfish... for a couple of reasons:

- low demand for a Bronx to Queens College route...

Why Queens college? because his sons go there... please....

- despite the fact there are numerous routes one can take to get to the college... I mean, let's not make it out to be like there's inadequate service to that college...

- the idea that it should be a solitary stop from the heart of Flushing, all the way to the college...

- being that the riders general gripes about the route are due to its infrequency (this I agree with, this is the main issue that should be brought to the forefront)... extending a route coming from Co-Op, to Queens college would only make reliability & the wait time in-between buses WORSE... The traffic on Kissena (or Main st) isn't all that smooth, y'know....

I'm not saying it's unrealistic... I'm saying it's unwarranted.

Huge difference.

Everyone can't have a 1-seat ride....

Yeah... I'll most certainly keep the ball rollin... thanks...

Yeh bro, I've seen some wild ones also....

This idea here isn't the absolute worst one in the world, but it's highly selfish... for a couple of reasons:

- low demand for a Bronx to Queens College route...

Why Queens college? because his sons go there... please....

- despite the fact there are numerous routes one can take to get to the college... I mean, let's not make it out to be like there's inadequate service to that college...

- the idea that it should be a solitary stop from the heart of Flushing, all the way to the college...

- being that the riders general gripes about the route are due to its infrequency (this I agree with, this is the main issue that should be brought to the forefront)... extending a route coming from Co-Op, to Queens college would only make reliability & the wait time in-between buses WORSE... The traffic on Kissena (or Main st) isn't all that smooth, y'know....

I'm not saying it's unrealistic... I'm saying it's unwarranted.

Huge difference.

Everyone can't have a 1-seat ride....

keep it rollin'....

Archived