Which NJT bus routes would you like to see extended into Staten Island?

Santa Fe via Willow

The (NJT) 813 could terminate at the Staten Island Mall

How bout, instead of extending a route the exists, make a new one between Perth Amboy and Staten Island.

Problem with the 813 is that outside of the morning rush Edison bound, the route runs every hour. The routes serves it's purpose just fine the way it is (even though the regulars find it hard to keep up with the schedule).

I don't think that a NJ bus going into NY, or conversely, an NY bus going into NJ could ever do more than just discharge only outbound, or pickup only inbound to home territory.

Even if the agencies could figure a way to share revenue and costs somehow by running a full service local route far into the other's territory, there is the union issue to consider. Would one accept the other operating in 'their turf'?

Perhaps maybe, if they could prorate the operation to be run by buses and drivers from both agencies according to a calculated equitable formula.

How bout, instead of extending a route the exists, make a new one between Perth Amboy and Staten Island.

Problem with the 813 is that outside of the morning rush Edison bound, the route runs every hour. The routes serves it's purpose just fine the way it is (even though the regulars find it hard to keep up with the schedule).

The problem with a route running only between 2 points on either side of a bridge is that transferring often causes a loss in ridership, especially in areas where a lot of people own cars. Combining a route to NJ with an existing NJT or NYCT route means that, at least on one side of the bridge, there will be an increase in ridership, because riders don't have to go through the hassle of transferring, especially with infrequent routes such as these.

If there is the issue of more demand on one side of the route than the other, you can simply short-turn some buses. (Maybe enough demand can be generated between Edison and Staten Island, that buses can run more frequently than once an hour, which would be good for passengers traveling within NJ).

The only advantage of having a standalone route is that you can time it to connect with NJT trains at Perth Amboy, and it is less delay-prone, but the advantages of through-routing outweigh the disadvantages.

See this article for a discussion on the advantages/disadvantages of through-routing services:

http://www.humantransit.org/2009/08/why-isnt-throughrouting-more-common.html

I don't think that a NJ bus going into NY, or conversely, an NY bus going into NJ could ever do more than just discharge only outbound, or pickup only inbound to home territory.

Even if the agencies could figure a way to share revenue and costs somehow by running a full service local route far into the other's territory, there is the union issue to consider. Would one accept the other operating in 'their turf'?

Perhaps maybe, if they could prorate the operation to be run by buses and drivers from both agencies according to a calculated equitable formula.

Good points. I didn't think of the union issue to consider. Maybe there would be a way to consider it an NJT/NYCT route, so it can use drivers from both agencies.

As far as the issue of picking up and dropping off, if the route is combined with another route, there might be reverse-peak demand generated by the presence of the route. (Also, express buses have had this problem for years and there have been very few attempts to fix it)

I do not think there will ever be direct bus route from Staten Island over the Goethals bridge or Outerbridge Crossing because of the fare zone system used by New Jersey transit for distance.

Check out the follow chart table for buses to NYC:

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/budget_Bus-NY.pdf

NJ Transit would lose a ton of revenue if there was a 1 o 2 Interstate bus trip directly into Staten Island and then passengers transferred to the SIR train to the ferry and on to lower Manhatten for $2.25 more.

Compare that to the one way fare from Perth Amboy is $10 one way to NYC.

Check out the NJ rail chart below:

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/budget_Rail-NewYork.pdf

The one way rail fare from South Amboy to Penn Station New York is $12.25 one way

Good points. But you have to consider how many people actually would make those extra transfers.

Think about it this way, if you are a commuter from Long Branch to Manhattan, and your normal commute involves taking the North Jersey Coast Line to Newark Penn Station and then taking the PATH from Newark. You spend $11.00 to get to Newark Penn Station and $1.75 for the PATH, and spend about 90 minutes.

By comparison, taking the train to Perth Amboy costs $8.25, and $2.25 for the (S55)/SIR/subway. To save the $2.25 difference, you spend 40 minutes on the train, 20-30 minutes on the bus, 40 minutes on the train and 30 minutes on the SI Ferry. Spending an extra 40-50 minutes to save $2.25 doesn't seem logical, unless you have a lot of time.

And, with any buses over the Goethals Bridge, the savings are literally close to nothing, and you spend much more time than using NJT buses.

Also, you have to consider that, if a significant number of people use the services to SI to go to Manhattan, they could take a load off of some NJT routes, like the #62, meaning that NJT can save money by slightly cutting service.

Overall, not a whole lot of people would change their daily commutes just to save money, when the direct service to Manhattan is much quicker. Also, any losses of revenue can be made up by people who are encouraged to use NJT services as a result of the direct connection to Staten Island.

Overall, agencies really aren't concerned with relatively small losses of revenue. The (S89) carries 1,000 daily riders, and many of them might've been driving over the Bayonne Bridge, paying tolls to the Port Authority. Yet, the Port Authority encouraged people to use the (S89).

I have been commuting to Newark Libery Intl. for work from Queens the last few months. The seperate fare structures for each mass transit system (NYC MTA, PATH, NJ TRANSIT {Buses and Trains}) are a killer per month.

Of course taking the car and paying the tolls, gas and sitting in bottle neck traffic every day is worse.

I hope a common monthy pass to cover all these systems will come from the Paypass trials now underway until the end of the year.

So do not feel bad Staten Island folks, everyone in NYC like service and fares to become more widespead and fare.

Note: I heard of the MetroCard/Hudson-Bergen Light Rail (HBLR) monthy pass for $134 a month but does not help me with the NJ Transit bus #62, PATH trains or NJ Transit trains from NY Penn station to the Railink station at Newark Intl. Airport.

I wish that was true that the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail pass could be used on NJ transit buses. I checked on the page below:

http://www.njtransit.com/ti/ti_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=LightRailTicketsTo

and troward the bottom is this:

"Use Your Bus Pass on Hudson-Bergen Light Rail You can use a two-zone or greater NJ TRANSIT bus pass to travel on Hudson-Bergen Light Rail at no additional charge during the period it is valid."

There is no mention of using the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail pass on NJ TRANSIT.

If someone know a link showing differently, it would save me some money every month.

Thank you in advance.

I wish that was true that the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail pass could be used on NJ transit buses. I checked on the page below:

http://www.njtransit.com/ti/ti_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=LightRailTicketsTo

and troward the bottom is this:

"Use Your Bus Pass on Hudson-Bergen Light Rail You can use a two-zone or greater NJ TRANSIT bus pass to travel on Hudson-Bergen Light Rail at no additional charge during the period it is valid."

There is no mention of using the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail pass on NJ TRANSIT.

If someone know a link showing differently, it would save me some money every month.

Thank you in advance.

You sure can. That Light Rail pass can cover you for a one zone bus ride (and I know I've read this somewhere, maybe in posters, but if I find something when I get a chance I will link it to you), so in your case with taking the 62 from Newark Penn Station to the airport, it works.

I definitely recommend that you buy the Metrocard/HBLR pass combo.

Then how is go28 different from a local bus?

GoBus is suppose to (NJT)'s BRT but they do not have dedicated lane, but GoBus#28 was TSP and GoBus is another word for Limited Stops for (NJT)

Just like Select Bus Service, it makes certain stops.

Just like SBS, GoBus features confortable seats, with luggage rack on GoBus#28, and people paid at front door, and according to GoBus rule, "PASSENGER MUST EXIT AT REAR"

Thank you Pablo M 201 for the quick answer. This month I am skipping the monthy NJ passes (taking a week vacation and Thanksgiving day off).

Hope you find something in print or the internet that shows the use of HBLR passes to be cross honored as 1-Zone passes on NJ transit buses like the #62. (I looked and "googled" it but found nothing)

Again thnak you.

Thank you Pablo M 201 for the quick answer. This month I am skipping the monthy NJ passes (taking a week vacation and Thanksgiving day off).

Hope you find something in print or the internet that shows the use of HBLR passes to be cross honored as 1-Zone passes on NJ transit buses like the #62. (I looked and "googled" it but found nothing)

Again thnak you.

I know you're looking out for yourself, but you don't need anything in print. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

BUT, here ya go, http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0100.pdf . That is the HBLR schedule where if you look to the right, you will find a section that says travel flexibility, and there will be the magic words you are looking for, "Use Your Light Rail Pass: Your Light Rail monthly pass is valid for one 1 zone of travel at no additional charge on NJ TRANSIT buses, NJ TRANSIT contract carriers, and local bus routes operated by private carriers operating under an NJ TRANSIT Bus Card agreement."

Hope this helped.

WOW, thanks for the link. NJ is lucky that some different mass transits systems cross-honor each others monthy passes. Seems PATH is always left out of any cross-honoring through.

Here in NYC, the MTA buses and subways monthy passes are not honored on LIRR or Metro-North trains.

Even the MTA express buses don't honor the regular monthy passes (they have a "special" weekly pass that costs alot more).

Again, thank you.

The "Express Bus Plus" MetroCard is good for express buses, as well as local buses and subways, so that is sort of like cross-honoring. (What doesn't make any sense, though, is the fact that the operating cost per-person is higher on buses than trains, but Metro-North and the LIRR charge higher fares and don't offer free transfers or cheaper MetroCard/rail ticket combinations.

I'm not sure about this, but I think the MetroCard/HBLR pass goes up with the cost of the HBLR and NYCT fares, so there is no discount from buying them seperately. I could be wrong, though.

Also, on the NJT rail schedules, it says that you can use your rail pass on buses for the number of zones specified on the pass. If you are commuting from Penn Station to Newark Penn Station, you should be able to use your pass to get on the #62 bus for free.

Archived