Old Photos of Amtrak in Grand Central

Bracamonte

Does anyone know where I can find archived photos of Amtrak when it was in Grand Central Terminal prior to 1991?

An interesting fact is that prior to 1991, Metro North used the lower level while Amtrak used the Main Concourse.

When Amtrak was still operating out of Grand Central Terminal, they only used around four of the many upper level tracks. MN used the remainder, along with the entire lower level. Amtrak mainly used the longest tracks...numbers 27 and 28 in the center of the upper level. The inbound trains would sometimes arrive on track 42 so that it could go around the loop.

Does anyone know where I can find archived photos of Amtrak when it was in Grand Central Terminal prior to 1991?

An interesting fact is that prior to 1991, Metro North used the lower level while Amtrak used the Main Concourse.

These aren't old photos, but they were taken when Amtrak was temporarily rerouted to Grand Central due to construction:

SN850613.jpg

SN850610.jpg

I see a metro north P32DM peeking out!. That musta been fun for the engineer (not really).

- A

Yeah. That why we have Trainz and MSTS.

For those of you who don't know why they lashed up a MN P32 with Amtraks, they need a Metro North P32 cuz Amtrak are designed to run on top running thrid rail as GCT is not, they use bottom running third rail.

they need a Metro North P32 cuz Amtrak are designed to run on top running thrid rail as GCT is not, they use bottom running third rail.

Correct. They were all converted after amtrak started using the empire connection, including like 2-3 FL9's. I believe 2 FL9's also had dual contact shoes during the transition.

- A

• 3 weeks later...
Correct. They were all converted after amtrak started using the empire connection, including like 2-3 FL9's. I believe 2 FL9's also had dual contact shoes during the transition.

- A

Dual contact shoes? That can run on either type third rail?

If not too costly, Amtrak should install them so as to have fexibility to go directly to GCT in emergencies.

Archived