8 Car Trains on the PATH Red Line (Newark - World Trade Center) are Back

Pablo M 201

^^

PATH is starting to run 8 car trains again on the Red Line (Newark - World Trade Center) as they try to take on the capacity issues they face and see ridership numbers at an all time high that continues to rise.

First 8 car train I saw today was a train of PA-5s (5681 on the WTC bound end, and 5706 on the NWK bound end) while on my way back to Jersey from the city.

It's about time, to be honest. It will be interesting to see a solid set of PA-4s.

:confused: ..I don't understand how that works...the only platforms on the NWK-WTC line that can hold full 8-10 car trains is Newark, Exchange Place and Journal Sq. WTC can NOT...and since thats the line's terminal I don't understand how that would be even remotely feasible.

:confused: ..I don't understand how that works...the only platforms on the NWK-WTC line that can hold full 8-10 car trains is Newark, Exchange Place and Journal Sq. WTC can NOT...and since thats the line's terminal I don't understand how that would be even remotely feasible.

At World Trade Center, the ends just make onto the platform, with a little space left to spare.

At Grove Street and Harrison though, the trains are literally just making it (as if stopping at Christopher Street with a 7 car train), but it still works.

Only reason they aren't doing 10 car trains is they currently don't have enough rolling stock to put on all the lines during peak hours. Extending the platforms not 100% needed, simply bypass the doors that won't be on the platform.

- A

Only reason they aren't doing 10 car trains is they currently don't have enough rolling stock to put on all the lines during peak hours. Extending the platforms not 100% needed, simply bypass the doors that won't be on the platform.

- A

Um, that wouldn't work, period. Not one station can fit 10 cars easily (only Newark Penn Station WTC bound platform can fit 10 easily), only two stations can barely fit 10 cars and that is Exchange Place and Journal Square.

Other than the stations along the Newark to World Trade Center line, no other station can fit more than 7 cars.

- A

That would dramatically increase station dwell times, which is probably the last thing PATH needs.

Yea, dwell times, 8 car trains are welcome especially with the upcoming holiday travel crunch. However i have to say that even if there were slightly increased dwell times, if it means moving 200 more people per train, that is an easy YES. Most of the people worried about dwell times & travel times would all ready be on that longer train vs crowded out and waiting for the next one. :o

I ride PATH very often, and anyone i ask about longer trains, employees regulars, etc all think 10 car trains and lengthened platforms to handle them is a great idea. Yes, it would be mad expensive to alter parts of the tunnels to expand the platforms, especially the stations in manhattan, but it will need to be done eventually, it's all ready running crush loaded during peak hours and trains come every 3 minutes on the nwk-wtc line interspersed with a hoboken train a minute behind, and at grove street a jsq train another minute behind.

This system was never meant to deal with the strain its under today, but thankfully the PA is not under the thumb of governor f**kup or walder or bloomturd.

8 cars = :cool::tup:

10 cars = :eek::o:tup::cool:

- A

PATH says that one of their goals is to make 10-car trains on the NWK-WTC ONLY. There are no plans for any other lines. Harrison is getting rebuilt. Will WTC be rebuilt as part of that WTC transit hub project?

Yes it will.

And Grove Street will be renovated as part of the plan. The station is already set up for 10 car trains, it's a matter of removing the walls along the walkway for the new entrance that opened a few years ago.

People also ride from midtown and switch at grove st or jsq, if people didn't exit at jsq there would be a large backlog of pax on platform. When they cancel a train and take it oos or hold it, the backlog appears. It can get tricky with the 2 door cars.

- A

Yes it will.

And Grove Street will be renovated as part of the plan. The station is already set up for 10 car trains, it's a matter of removing the walls along the walkway for the new entrance that opened a few years ago.

Good to know. Now if only the entire system was configured to handle at minimum 8-car trains...

I still think the PA5s should've been married pairs [A-B cars].

Archived