Should I Give Up Railfanning And Taking Pics?

Phil D.

Should I continue Railfanning and Taking pictures?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should I continue Railfanning and Taking pictures?

• Yes
    • No
    • Hell Yeah, I support you all the way!
    • Hell No, Stop Railfanning and Taking Pics.

As many of you know, I like trains alot and I'm really interested in becoming a T/O, hence why I'm into transit so much. I'm not like your average person who just likes trains for the hell of it. I like them because I'm into the job and since I know so much about being a T/O and how the railroad works etc its crazy. I know more then some people do on the road right now! Alot of you know how much the M line means to me. Its the line that I've been taking all of my life since I was a kid. My mom said when I started walking I always wanted to look out of the window. I can never go for a ride on the Mikey or any train for that matter without me begging her to pick me up and look out the window, hahahaha. Ive been around the 42s all my life, I hear them everyday etc. Now that will come to an end on Monday April 7th. Its very hard to see them go. I have so many memories on that line. Its sad that they are replacing good trains with garbage 160s that won't last nearly as long as the 42s and preform like they do. And the 42s are starting to have minor problems now because ENY started to slack on them because they are leaving anyway.

Sorry about the story but I must explain myself and vent. I want to get the opinion of all of the great people on this forum... Should I keep railfanning and taking pics, or should I just retire it?

Thank you for any input!

There are several transit systems other than the NYC Subway that is great to railfan such as the HBLR, NJT, MNRR, LIRR, WMATA, TTC and others. Yes, I do think that you should continue railfanning and taking photos because there are other transit systems out there that you can railfan.

its sad really. i've also been looking out that window ever since i can remember with the 40 Slants on the West End B, and its very sad that the best window on the subway train is being taken away

the end of the railfan window is coming.

There are several transit systems other than the NYC Subway that is great to railfan such as the HBLR, NJT, MNRR, LIRR, WMATA, TTC and others. Yes, I do think that you should continue railfanning and taking photos because there are other transit systems out there that you can railfan.

it just won't be the same with other subways, the experience will not match the one that we remember here in the MTA with the R32, R38 R40 and R42's

Yep its sad that the railfan window is leaving. I grew up with the railfan windows on the greatbirds. And ever since i was little i used to watch those cars go by my house in the bronx. And when i moved to brooklyn i aways remember hearing those traction motors warming up at flatbush ave station. Once those POS R142/As took over the A div i kinda lost interst in transit.

But as for phil giving up railfanning. I say until the last R32-R42 car is reefed i think the system is still fun to ride. And not to metion that there will be R42s on the flats very soon. But once the R160s/179s take over the B div there wont be any point in railfanning the nyc subway anymore. Expept when theres a fan trip or something....

it just won't be the same with other subways, the experience will not match the one that we remember here in the MTA with the R32, R38 R40 and R42's

You forgot the R62A LOL theres that R142s on the (7) rumor going around so that view could be lost too...

Compared to most of you i'm just beginning to get into all of this, and there's no way i'm going to give up, even if the rolling stock and whatnot on (NYCT) (NJT) and amtrak seem to be getting more bland and not as fun, i still love watching and riding and exploring the transit systems of the world, and i believe i will never tire of it, even as some really good stuff makes way for "modernization". Lets just hope going forward that the powers that be realize their decisions affect more than rider-ship numbers, and that they will return to the inspired days of old, where people were excited by rail travel just by the sight of the vehicle that would carry them.

- Andy

They have RFWs and other things. They also for the most part have faster speeds than the NYC Subway. Just because the NYC Subway is less fun to railfan does not mean that you should stop railfanning.

i'm not saying to stop railfanning, i think he should still go railfanning for the photo ops. but railfanning is now less fun without the railfan window, our regular commutes will also be less fun without the railfan window and also the best place for photos of the trains is now taken away

Phil, its pending how you feel. Maybe what you need is a break. Happens to most transitfans, they just lose interest. If railfanning and taking pics lack interest in you now, then just drop it. At times, transitfans lose interest and come right back after a while. You've gotten really good in photography over time too. But its all on you.

Archived