45' buses on Local routes

Smooth

Hey Everyone im the new man in town not sure if discussed but was interested in knowing how come the MTA never placed an order for NABI 45C. They can easily accommodate more people. Its a low floor which is what they are interested in more importantly its 45'. I have ridden them out in LA and Phoenix and feel they can be in use here. Any thoughts? Thanks,

-Smooth

Hey Everyone im the new man in town not sure if discussed but was interested in knowing how come the MTA never placed an order for NABI 45C. They can easily accommodate more people. Its a low floor which is what they are interested in more importantly its 45'. I have ridden them out in LA and Phoenix and feel they can be in use here. Any thoughts? Thanks,

-Smooth

I don't doubt that they would work here, but I'm not sure it will ever happen. We have never had any NABI products. I don't think we have ever even had a demo. Rumor has it the MTA was looking into whether or not an investment in 90 test buses was feasible or not. I however am very skeptical about them ordering from NABI.

I don't doubt that they would work here, but I'm not sure it will ever happen. We have never had any NABI products. I don't think we have ever even had a demo. Rumor has it the MTA was looking into whether or not an investment in 90 test buses was feasible or not. I however am very skeptical about them ordering from NABI.

Especially after the MTA saw the Bee Line order and then the NJT NABI order. I would hope though that New Flyer and Orion consider developing a 45-foot low-floor bus (even with a third axle); such could really hurt MCI's commuter bus market dominance.

Especially after the MTA saw the Bee Line order and then the NJT NABI order. I would hope though that New Flyer and Orion consider developing a 45-foot low-floor bus (even with a third axle); such could really hurt MCI's commuter bus market dominance.

Remember New Flyer already tried this and they lost out on the huge order to MCI for NJT in the late 1990's early 2000's on commuter buses. They are fine with the 40 and 60 foot markets

Also remember whole new system of parts to order, plus new lifts for the garge needed for 45 foot buses.unless they stay at the garages with the MCI's. Added cost right now that MTA cant afford. Look for the MTA to say with 40 and 60 foot buses for now.

And as a b/o I don't need or want bigger buses bc transit isn't going to pay us more to drive bigger buses and carry more people.forty feet is enough.want bigger buses ? Start paying more as it is the operators on the artic r getting screwed with 25 cents more an hour to drive a 60 ft bus.

Right. The question is whether or not there is a major market other than LA to justify a new entrant. Daimler's next big project is the Orion VIII Artic, so I know they won't be working on one.

The RTS folks will be playing with a 42.5 foot low-floor. That should be hot!!!

And as a b/o I don't need or want bigger buses bc transit isn't going to pay us more to drive bigger buses and carry more people.forty feet is enough.want bigger buses ? Start paying more as it is the operators on the artic r getting screwed with 25 cents more an hour to drive a 60 ft bus.

As much as I respect the men and women who keep our city moving, would you (or any other Bus Operator for that matter) take a pay cut if you were given a 30 or a 35 foot coach instead?

45C is the Compo, right? I wanted so much for us to get them, since they evoke the classic fishbowl from the front. Plus, being a bit longer would be a slight compromise from artics.

But there was the sense that that composite design wouldn't hold up on NYC streets.

NJT was supposed to get some for one of its services, but they ended up getting more of the regular 40ft model instead.

45C is the Compo, right? I wanted so much for us to get them, since they evoke the classic fishbowl from the front. Plus, being a bit longer would be a slight compromise from artics.

But there was the sense that that composite design wouldn't hold up on NYC streets.

NJT was supposed to get some for one of its services, but they ended up getting more of the regular 40ft model instead.

Yep. It's a Compo. It's actually my favorite NABI model. I think they would hold up very well in NYC. Composites are stronger than metal, and they don't have a problem with corrosion either.

Very Interesting. Thank you for your opinions. I like the Nabi Compos. In terms of how they would hold up in NYC streets. I think they will be fine. The Orion 7 NG holds up. I felt that they could of used them due to the high ridership that we have here in NYC. Specially for the north and south routes of Manhattan. such as M1-10. Supply and demand. We shall see what the future economic holds.

Yea, that's true. Was kinda hoping they would take one of the older busses from newark international, they have those ones with the single round headlights & larger destination sign area in use as transfer shuttle. That way i could actually get to ride it.

- A

Archived