M15 Select Bus Service is Faster Way to Travel the East Side

East New York

(MTA)New York City Transit

A little more than two weeks after Select Bus Service (SBS) was introduced on the M15, speeds are improving and we have a clear blueprint on how to make this vital service even better.

For a sizable portion of the 53,000 customers who use the M15 daily, SBS has the potential for a significant reduction in travel times. Off board fare collection, low-floor high capacity buses and dedicated bus lanes combined with bus stops situated approximately one-half mile apart all contribute to speedier buses. However, the new service did cause some confusion early on, which led to delays.

"We have been working closely with City DOT and the NYPD to keep the lanes clear and we are seeing some positive results," said MTA NYC Transit Senior Vice President of Buses Joe Smith. "Also, helped by our customer ambassadors, riders are getting accustomed to the new method of fare payment and that is reducing the amount of time a bus remains in the bus stop, which is a major component of making this service work."

To help eliminate long gaps between buses, we have added four more buses to the weekday schedule and additional supervision has been assigned to key points along the route to regulate service. Travel time is now running about ten minutes less between E. 126th Street and South Ferry. Also, responding to riders' requests, customers purchasing their fares for SBS may now use their receipts to board M15 locals, should one arrive first. Planned upgrades to the fare machine graphics, which will be larger and easier to understand, will also benefit SBS customers.

Further service improvements are expected with the use of traffic lane enforcement cameras, due to begin next month, and traffic signal priority which should be in place by the middle of next year.

• 2 months later...

The MTA says the M15 Select Bus Service is, indeed, a faster way to travel on First and Second Avenues on Manhattan's East Side.

According to the MTA, the buses on the M15 SBS have sped up travel by 19 percent, cutting the time between East Harlem and South Ferry by 12 to 16 minutes.

The faster trips are the result of M15 SBS riders paying their fare at the sidewalk vending machines (instead of on the bus). The buses also have dedicated bus lanes on First and Second Avenues and there are cameras to catch drivers using the special bus-only lanes.

Story and video from NY1: http://www.ny1.com/content/news_beats/transit/

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Its not all that fast as they make it out to be. Granted, it speeds the line up, once it gets to certain points (14 St & 1 Av for example) it makes it a moot point. The oy good thing they did that I noticed is that they added 2 more machines at the 14 St stop.

Something that I noticed is that on the subway ads they have, they have a picture of a bus going down "2 Av" but that's actually Livingston St in Brooklyn. Anybody that knows downtown Brooklyn knows that that's that Macy's in the background

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Its not all that fast as they make it out to be. Granted, it speeds the line up, once it gets to certain points (14 St & 1 Av for example) it makes it a moot point. The oy good thing they did that I noticed is that they added 2 more machines at the 14 St stop.

14th & 1st is actually the only stop throughout the line with a slow boarding/exiting process. Every other stop on the line is pretty smooth.

Also, responding to riders' requests, customers purchasing their fares for SBS may now use their receipts to board M15 locals, should one arrive first. Planned upgrades to the fare machine graphics, which will be larger and easier to understand, will also benefit SBS customers.

They really need to put that on the (Bx12) local ASAP. Today 4 NF Artics came by me and I couldn't ride them because I had already spent my fare for the SBS.

14th & 1st is actually the only stop throughout the line with a slow boarding/exiting process. Every other stop on the line is pretty smooth.

Another stop I noticed was on 23 St heading north. That's a major choke point once school let's out

Another stop I noticed was on 23 St heading north. That's a major choke point once school let's out

Thats right, thankfully, I only ride the +SBS+ when them kids are gone.

Thats right, thankfully, I only ride the +SBS+ when them kids are gone.

I don't have a choice when I go to work... The M15 is unavoidable, unless I take the long way and take the M16 instead

Archived