B35's South Jersey trip... plus....

B35 via Church

Haven't done a trip report in a while... so since I'm in the mood...

November 13th, 2010

It all starts off with me JUST missing the 2 train (thanks to crawling saturday afternoon traffic on church av; without fail)... Anyway, as I swipe the Metro(card), there's a representative from the FDNY on the platform... I walked so fast past the poor guy, I didn't even hear what he said... I did the typical head-shake (no), no thanks, and kept it movin....

about 10 mins later, the (2) came... didn't know whether I should take it to Fulton or to 14 (for PATH)... but eh, by time we got to fulton, I didn't feel like getting up (lol), so I just stayed on til 14th... glad the (2) wasn't running local, or else everything would've been screwed up....

So I eventually get to 14th/6th & catch the PATH after about a 10 minute wait.... I forgot about the combining of the whole Hoboken/JSQ thing on weekends, but I figured I still had time to catch the bus I was aiming for...

Fast forward a bit, I get to JSQ... and I'm walking around lookin like a chicken w/ my head cut off b/c no where does it tell you what bus arrives at which gate, so I eventually walk through doors to get to A/B.. and, all I see parked are locals (rts')... until I took another long look at the lone MCI parked.. and I knew that was the bus I was set to board.

#7468 - (NJT) 67(x) to Toms River.

I gotta admit, I started to get worried as we crawled to get to Newark... but after 5 or 6 pax (passengers) boarded, we were movin on the garden state... managed to get a lil nap on the ride, but all in all, it was worth it...

time on bus: 1 hour, 33 minutes

Now here's where things get interesting...

I knew I had to get to atlantic city... question was, which bus would I take; the express or the local... I ended up taking the express... BUT, small problem...

An altercation broke out as pax were getting off... turns out some pervert was touching a young teenage girl on the bus (the girl's exact words were, "yeah, you were running your fingers on my legs while I was sleep)... I dunno, the more I think about it, the more I'm now starting to think this was a ploy... although the father was angry, he wasn't AS angry as you'd expect a father to be in that situation... I dunno, maybe I'm comparing two measuring sticks right now....

while waiting on line, I was within INCHES of the two men arguing (the father of the girl & the perp)... of course, he denied... but then the threat of the police coming came about (I'm assuming the b/o called the police, not exactly sure), and I thought, man, I'm screwed (planned itinerary, in mind).... anyway, not knowing drivers on this route don't accept cash, the b/o informed me of such, and I ran inside & got a ticket.. to board:

#7175 - (NJT) 319 to Atlantic City

After about 15 minutes worth of stalling, we eventually pulled out... and as we left the parking lot... lo & behold, 3 police cars, along w/ the father/daughter & the perp were standing there... the look on that guy's face was one of "here we go w/ this BS again"...

Anyway, the ride itself was as expected, having been on the 319 before... pedal to the medal, flat out... no disappointments whatsoever, because as SOON as we got to AC, I thanked him for sticking around (which he had to anyway, for the police back in toms river), and the ride as well...

time on bus: 53 minutes

We pull into the terminal (the dropoff area), I look to the right... I see two buses (unlike the RTS', you can't tell what bus is what, looking at the asses [lol, backs] of the buses)... so I turned the corner & looked up (after again, the b/o sticking around for me to get a ticket, since he claimed to have no change, which I later found out was a lie) and eventually boarded:

** Stick around for part 2 **

(there's a reason I have "Plus" in the thread title)

#8288 - (NJT) 551 to Philadelphia

I've been meaning to take this route for weeks now... It was everything I pretty much expected... I thought it was a straight run to Philly, but it made a stop out in Avandale... like 1/2 the bus got off, and about 4 or 5 ppl. boarded.... anyway, as disgusted as I was w/ the way the b/o said what he did back in AC, I couldn't get too mad b/c he didn't have to wait... Aside from that, this SOB flew ! I didn't expect to get to the greyhound terminal that quick... only thing that slowed us down, was police activity on the ben franklin, which backed up traffic a bit, but it was all good...

I'm surprised to see how downtown camden actually appears/looks... of course, it's all wolf in sheep's clothing, as I saw a shoving match b/w 3 ppl on a streetcorner (1 of which was a woman)... it was too dark to see what streets, but it was before we went inside the walter rand (the transcenter out there, for those that don't know)...

having been to philly's chinatown twice before, I was a little unsure of where to catch the next bus I needed, but I knew I had time, so I just took a small walk around, and my memory was refreshed.... didn't expect to see as many NABI's as I did, and I didn't know they had artics out there in SEPTA-land either... you truly do learn something everyday...

time on bus: 1 hour, 13 minutes

I didn't know whether to stop off & get [mcdonalds or chinese food], or whether to endure w/ what snacks I had left in my bag... I did the latter... but yeh, having after walked around for about 1/2 hour, I eventually got to 6th & race, right by the bridge... saw a 402 just pulling out, a 408 & and a 551 just passed by, before I boarded:

#7565 - (NJT) 409 to Trenton (Transit Center)

The highlight of the trip IMO... Although you can't beat routes that go from point A-to-B in less than 3 stops via a highway, I have a fondness for riding long routes that serve many different areas... unbeknownst (sp?) to me, this is one of them... this reminds me of the BL-15 route in some ways; the unexpected turns, and the "types" of turns it was making...

Oh, forgot to mention, I had to ask the b/o if he was going to the transit ctr, b/c the destination sign was scrambled/damaged, and I wanted to make sure & certain, since this was my bridge, so to speak, to getting HOME.

After we dropped off this ghetto ass family (you know, the thugged out niggy, the obese ass baby moms, and the 3 bad ass kids (all girls) - one of which tried to open my bookbag... I didn't OD or anything like that, b/c quite honestly, I was more worried about something else (non transit related) at the time... but the mother shouted out the girls name, she sat back down (after falling down a couple times, due to the bus' acceleration)... btw, I was in my patented back-most left side seat (my right shoulder was actin up again)....) in camden, I don't think there was more than 5 people on the bus at any one time....

I didn't expect to see as much blacks on the streets in those areas along the route; so demographics-wise, I also learned something about areas like pennsauken, willingboro... and industrial towns like florence/roebling....

we eventually get to Trenton, and this is where the bullshit begins... but before I get on that... I thanked the driver (as he was more courteous than the 551 driver I had)...

time on bus: 2 hours, 18 minutes

While on the 409 (in Trenton), I witnessed an old(er) man getting robbed by two stick up kids... they shoved him to the ground, kicked him a few times, ran his pockets & dipped... I said to myself, that's that small town mentality...

I get off the bus, with one other passenger... after the bus pulled out, I stopped & take a second to take out my mp3 player out my bag, and some young hood grabbed my arm & murmured something.... I dropped my bag, he shoved me (well, it was more like a nudge)... That was his mistake - that gave me enough space to release a punch - that caught him square in his chin... my middle & ring fingers still hurt from it... If you wanna call me the aggressor in that situation, go right ahead, as I was ready for w/e at that point.... so the guy staggers up, I'm still standing over him, basically yelling "don't you ever put your f**in hands on me again"...

What I am surprised at, is the fact that I was never approached by police (this happened a few yards from the entrance to the transcenter- guess it is really corrupt out there, as I've heard)... I was more nervous about getting apprehended by 5-0, than whatever that punk was thinking about doing afterwards; which ended up being nothing... I'm still angry at the fact I didn't end this guy's shit, since I had my Tim's on too... but you know, it isn't worth f**ckin up a clean record over, f**kin up your life over....

as forceful as I may come off on these forums whenever I post, I'm one of the most humble dudes you'd ever come across in person (don't ask for my opinion if you don't want the truth though.... lol); it's just my nature... but sometimes, you have to let the inner nigga in you out.... and I don't like doing it either....

I didn't think it was that bad in Trenton... already on edge, this dude & his girl (I'm assuming) bumps in to me (yes, the both of them, with those big rolling luggages), as I was picking up some timetables... I don't know what their intentions were... chick randomly grabbed a timetable (which I don't think was her intent) & they both went off ... he turned around, I gave him a dirty look, dude said "what the f***" (and something else I didn't hear)... and bitch was like "hee hee hee".... hee hee hee my ass, f**k you.

^ (I didn't say that, as I was inside the transcenter at that point, and didn't wanna draw any attention to myself)...

Despite ALL that:

- (despite what I said in the shoutbox last night), I DO plan on going back to Trenton & riding the 600's (routes) out there...

- I had to endure a SLOW ride on the train... As I was getting my ticket, I contemplated getting an amtrak ticket, as the amtrak train arrived 15 mins. before the NJT train I boarded... I didn't wanna spend 2 arm's & a leg (I already spent 1 & 1 on this excursion... lol), so I just paid the 15 bucks or w/e for a NJT back to Penn....

** Stick around for part 3 **

I hear you bout TTC, it seems all normal and safe then some bizarre chit will happen, random loud swearing fight, crackheads here & there, folks from the homeless shelter using the newly refurbished station as a lounge/hot spot.

Other day my bro was getting me round 11:20 pm, but before that.... tweaker guy was hanging on people asking for help, said hey i'm his brother needs help, i said i'm broke sorry (truth). So i went outside as it was a really nice night out, sat on one of those stone spheres out by the sculpture... He came by again and same BS... i offered him some unopened food & he said nah he's diabetic, & offered water bottle unopened, said nah he can't drink anything, at that point i was irritated. As sad as it is to see someone who's life is so messed up they resort to begging for money, i'm operating on an hour of sleep, i woke up at 7 am that morning, and i have no damn money or any other way to help this guy.

Think that's it? Nah.

My bro pulls up and i put my stuff in the back, then when i go to open the front passenger door to get in, same f***in tweaker guy holds the door so i can't open it and get in TO LAY THE SAME B****HIT LINE on my brother... my bro does the right thing and says nah man i dont have any spare change.

Think it's over yet? Nah.

He makes the U turn to start back home, while we pull up to the light, guy is going after someone else, then another person before the light changes. By the time we are crossing the bridge over the NEC to get back to 29 i call the cops. Wash my hands of the whole thing.

Next time i'm there (same time of night), one of the cleaning crew guys tells me not soon after i left cops came & some outstanding warrant and this that and another thing, apparently the guy is normally some big tough macho type and he was so strung out on meth that after evading a search for him he had no money and was beginning to have withdrawal effects. Cops questioned some people in the station at the time ot get a better picture of what was going on & he asked the cop what was going on, normally they don't care they just put them in cuffs and take off.

Another night some dude from brooklyn was stuck there not sure where to go next to get to his sister's place. It was too late for bus, or else that would have worked. She came while i was waiting for my bro , very nice people, let him use my phone (speakerphone!) to call her. They both seemed relieved that he got there in one piece.

There are some parts of trenton, like, the other side of the TTC (walnut ave?) you don't wanna go, especially at night, but inside the station things are usually fairly sane. You can walk to the state building too, and the war memorial theater without too much worry, main issue is traffic. I think some people can't see the color RED.

Oh, there was that one time someone tried to pull my backpack off me, but once they saw how big i was they took off. B)

- A

Mets...

That's the thing, I don't think he was going for my bag... b/c before I hit him, I voluntarily dropped it (kinda like a hockey player dropping his gloves before a fight), same type of motion.... it wasn't like it was a tussle for the bag or w/e....

as far as getting into unwanted chit-chats w/ bums, I find that @ Newark Penn Station, those homeless guys are far move bold/vocal than the bums we have here in NYC... one guy started yelling and kicking the wall, so I just pulled out a nickel & threw it in his direction so he could STFU.... Yeh, I have my ways of dealing with idiots...

(I shouldn't use the two words interchangably like that, but it is what it is)

....and I also saw some homeless dudes (2 even sleeping) inside TTC, but I paid them no mind; most of them were busy talking amongst themselves; some drunk lady, talking about the way she was walking, etc etc.... I snickered, as that chick was drunk... either drunk, or got finished gettin ran through by the dude who was helping keeping her upright as they were walking....

Several of the MFL Septa stations have mini malls where they sell food. I knew Philly was bad, but I didn't know Trenton was also ghetto. The sad thing is that I really want to railfan the Silverliner V, but I utterly abhor Philadelphia.

This wasn't my first time in Philly; it was just the first time I took the 551 there.... like most major cities (well, anywhere really), you just know where you can't & can't frequent in Philly... chinatown (where the NJT routes take you) is safe; I'd even go as far as to say, safer than NYC's chinatown...

I wanna ride some of the 400 routes & the 600 routes before the end of the year....

next year, I'll try my hand riding SEPTA's routes.... hell, I may as well get used to taking PATCO....

lemme finish this up...

so the 9:59 to NYC finally pulls in... and as I eluded to, this was one of the slowest rides I've even taken on a commuter RR... I dozed off two different times, once b/w hamilton & new brunswick, and again b/w edison & elizabeth... by time we got to newark airport, I was just fed up... and due to insufficient amt of trackage for the volume of trains coming in/out of NY Penn, it was a 20+ minute wait & crawl b/w secaucus & NY Penn itself... I later got home (last night) to look at the schedule - and that's how it's scheduled... it left 9:58 & pulled in exactly 11:32... the NEC sucks if that's a typical ride on that line.

I haul ass once inside penn station... it's a miracle I didn't bump into anyone the way I was walking... with total disregard for anyone around me.. I was that fed up.... so much so that I didn't even stopped inside the mcdonalds express (as I initially wanted to)...

By time I got on the (2), I had my head down from 34th st, until like, sterling st... ended up getting a headache; most likely from having my ears plugged up throughout most of the trip... I have to get new headphones; don't care for earplugs much... anyway, a 34 min. ride to church av, and a 15 min walk later, I was home.

Hope y'all enjoyed the read...

(from the [more than one response] reaction in this thread, I'll start doing trip reports again)

Not sure if I'll do another trip next week, but if I do, it'll be totally contingent on how/where I feel like going, the friday night before....

anyone got some suggestions on what routes (or what cities) to venture on/to, I'm all eyes & ears.....

- B35, over & out.

My last final exam is December 17th. I'm going to do a whole bunch of trips including one to Baltimore on December 27th. There's nothing I wanted to see besides the inner harbor, but I needed an excuse to ride Amtrak. I'm basically done fanning in the city. I might take a few express bus trips but that's it. I'm 95% sure I'm doing a Boston trip next year. I'm also going to head to the City of Brotherly Homicides to check out the Silverliner V's.

As for suggestions:

Metro-North and TZx to Palisades

I can't think of anything else. If you're real intrepid, you can head to DC via Megabus or Bolt Bus and check out the best subway system in North America.

- I'm thinking about DC for my vacation, not solely for fanning purposes... but that's not a bad suggestion though.... However, Boston I'm not stepping foot in again... it's too "new england" for me... that's just one minor reason....

- FG, thanks... I think I'll fan out in Rockland county next week... it's a lot easier on the wallet than the 70 somethin bucks I spent on transit yesterday....

hopefully, I wont see the crazy man wielding a pitchfork out in sloatsburg screaming ahhhhhhhhhh.... while waiting for route 93 over there by the highway overpass (it's terminal out there)

I still say TOR has the best transit related slogan....

- I'm thinking about DC for my vacation, not solely for fanning purposes... but that's not a bad suggestion though.... However, Boston I'm not stepping foot in again... it's too "new england" for me... that's just one minor reason....

There's stuff in DC besides the Metro. I really liked Tysons Corner Mall (though there's no direct access to the Metro), the area near the Verizon Center, and the various generic historical sites and Smithsonian Museums. It's a nice walk from Capitol Hill to the Lincoln Memorial through the National Mall.

There's stuff in DC besides the Metro. I really liked Tysons Corner Mall (though there's no direct access to the Metro), the area near the Verizon Center, and the various generic historical sites and Smithsonian Museums. It's a nice walk from Capitol Hill to the Lincoln Memorial through the National Mall.

I should hope so, since I said I'm thinking about vacationing there.

as for the city's attractions, I'll cross that bridge when I get there... good lookin out on the apprisal though

Yea, the super local is 85 minutes or somewhere around there. The super express is like 52 minutes.

I've dozed off on locals, usually the 9:55 pm outa nwk.

Oh, don't get me started bout the homeless problem in NWK. Says seating is for ticketed passengers only. Maybe i wouldn't mind of they took a shower.

- A

Archived