X22 Super Express Proposed

Forest Glen

Well we're both right about the extension/re-routing of the X20... :(

http://www.transitblogger.com/buses/x20-extended-rerouted.php

And you're right to a degree about it being useless but not totally... If it picked up anywhere, it picked up right there at Hylan Blvd and Narrows Rd. South and that would happen when other express bus like the X1 were screwed up.

You would have to screw up a lot of other express buses in order for the X20 to be useful. Over there, you had the X1, X2, X3, X9, X13, X14 and X16.

I think a better use of resources would be to use it to split the X18. You could have the X18 running up Tompkins Avenue and ending somewhere around Vanderbilt Avenue, and then have the X20 running up Targee Street, ending somewhere on Ward Hill (possibly around Victory Blvd/Cebra Avenue).

Even if both routes ended up being cut, at least it would've been a better use of buses for the time being.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You would have to screw up a lot of other express buses in order for the X20 to be useful. Over there, you had the X1, X2, X3, X9, X13, X14 and X16.

I think a better use of resources would be to use it to split the X18. You could have the X18 running up Tompkins Avenue and ending somewhere around Vanderbilt Avenue, and then have the X20 running up Targee Street, ending somewhere on Ward Hill (possibly around Victory Blvd/Cebra Avenue).

Even if both routes ended up being cut, at least it would've been a better use of buses for the time being.

Think about it... The X1, X2, X3 and X9 all run further along Hylan Blvd than the X20 did, so if there is a problem further down on Hylan, those four lines can be delayed/as is the case at times. The X20 particuarly the last one ran rather late. The X13 stopped running by about a good 10 minutes before the X14 and the X16 was spaced far apart during that time. The X14 didn't work either since most folks needed Downtown service, so that in instance the X20 came in handy. The stream of folks at Hylan and Narrows Road South is really amazing. It reminds me of the 4 line at Wall St. where a train will come, load up and then as soon as its gone you'll have the platform filling up again for the next train in less than 5 minutes.

In regards to you splitting the X18, do you really think service is warranted or would be used north of Forest Avenue, excluding parts of SI like Mariners' Harbor or Port Richmond?

I honestly think that this discussion should be taken into a PM since its only you two who keep hammering it at each other.

We’re not arguing with each other. We’re just having a discussion.

Think about it... The X1, X2, X3 and X9 all run further along Hylan Blvd than the X20 did, so if there is a problem further down on Hylan, those four lines can be delayed/as is the case at times. The X20 particuarly the last one ran rather late. The X13 stopped running by about a good 10 minutes before the X14 and the X16 was spaced far apart during that time. The X14 didn't work either since most folks needed Downtown service, so that in instance the X20 came in handy. The stream of folks at Hylan and Narrows Road South is really amazing. It reminds me of the 4 line at Wall St. where a train will come, load up and then as soon as its gone you'll have the platform filling up again for the next train in less than 5 minutes.

In regards to you splitting the X18, do you really think service is warranted or would be used north of Forest Avenue, excluding parts of SI like Mariners' Harbor or Port Richmond?

What do you mean? Are you saying that the Tompkins Avenue branch should go up Victory Blvd to Forest Avenue? (My plan was to just end it around Victory Blvd/Cebra Avenue)

I’m just saying it would’ve been a better use of resources, not necessarily a good idea.

We’re not arguing with each other. We’re just having a discussion.

What do you mean? Are you saying that the Tompkins Avenue branch should go up Victory Blvd to Forest Avenue? (My plan was to just end it around Victory Blvd/Cebra Avenue)

I’m just saying it would’ve been a better use of resources, not necessarily a good idea.

You said you would consider ending the X18 around Victory and Cebra Ave, which is below Forest Ave. Currently the only express buses going North past Forest Avenue are the X10, X12 and X14. I was asking if you think it would get usage there because of the proximity to the Ferry.

You have to consider that the neighborhood is on a hill, and that hill is only served by the S52, which runs infrequently. Once you get further down to Van Duzer Street, the route pretty much covers the same areas that the X18 served (except much faster, since it doesn't have to go around Vanderbilt Avenue).

If you think about it, the areas around Forest Avenue/Victory Blvd were served by the X16, and were served by more frequent local bus service. You said yourself, ridership wasn't great in those areas, but it was decent.

I'm not saying that the MTA should revive the X18 and send a branch up to Ward Hill (nor am I saying that the route would get high ridership), but I'm saying it would've been a better use of resources than creating the X20 (and it would've still served Narrows Road South).

You have to consider that the neighborhood is on a hill, and that hill is only served by the S52, which runs infrequently. Once you get further down to Van Duzer Street, the route pretty much covers the same areas that the X18 served (except much faster, since it doesn't have to go around Vanderbilt Avenue).

If you think about it, the areas around Forest Avenue/Victory Blvd were served by the X16, and were served by more frequent local bus service. You said yourself, ridership wasn't great in those areas, but it was decent.

I'm not saying that the MTA should revive the X18 and send a branch up to Ward Hill (nor am I saying that the route would get high ridership), but I'm saying it would've been a better use of resources than creating the X20 (and it would've still served Narrows Road South).

True... Then again regarding the X16 it would interesting to see ridership on Forest Avenue when it was more reliable.

Archived