MTA to Consider new engines for fleet

East New York

The DD50G just seems underpowered to me. I love the RTS and the Orion V CNGs here, but they seem to struggle with accelerating... with the NG CNGs, if the bus operator has a lead foot (and has somehow kept their job) or if there's a wide open stretch of road, they can accelerate pretty quickly. So much that bus operators intentionally drive slow with the NGs...

The engines don't use gas!

The engines don't even use diesel fuel!

The bus is a HYBRID! The DIESEL FUEL powers a generator, it makes electricity, and that electricity that is generated powers the engine!

With a series hybrid, yes (as MTA hybrids are), as the engine is not connected to to any of the wheels. However, on a parallel hybrid (correct me if I am wrong), the engine is connected to the wheels.

Parallel hybrid, has a fuel tank that supplies gasoline/diesel/etc. to the engine and a set of batteries that supplies power to the electric motor. Both the engine and the electric motor can turn the transmission at the same time, and the transmission then turns the wheels.

By contrast, in a Series hybrid, the gasoline/diesel/CNG engine turns a generator, and the generator can either charge the batteries or power an electric motor that drives the transmission. Thus, the engine never directly powers the vehicle.

Bluways(ISE) uses series technology.

The BAE system is a series hybrid.

Voith has both series and parallel hybrid systems.

The GM-Allison is unique. It's a dual mode system that operates automatically as both a series and parallel when needed.

Gas Turbine Hybrid's, like the ones used in DesignLine hybrids, run on battery power and use a small gas turbine engine and generator to keep the battery charged, which in turn power the bus.

They also have terrible climbing power---I have to wonder why the 5510-5769 batch was never repowered with a Cummins ISL. On artics, the S50 appears to underpower the bus.

I could see them trying something out with that batch now. We'll have to see how this plays out. ISL is the cheapest, and most economical way to go, but the ISX would be foamalicious!:drool:

Also, remember some of those 55-5700's can climb hills well. But you are right, the major problem is the lack of power. Those buses should have has DDs60's.

IMO, the DD50 was over the hill by the time these Orions came around, looking forward to them being re-powered with Cummins, however, the sound those DD50's make will be missed greatly, esp on the outside.

Yeah, the newest s50's are not anywhere near as good as the older ones in the RTS' and Orion V's. I agree it is time for them to go, and I am a diehard Detroit Diesel fan!

ENY's right that it'll be cheaper all round, but I agree, I don't like these Cummins buses at all. [not counting the hybrids as those are a whole different animal] It's all personal preference since they all do the job, but I love the noise of a C40 / O5 / O7 CNG and am so used to the noise of RTSes as well. [D60HFs don't have the same DD50 magic for me but I'll take 'em] The LFSes have none of that great noise and are really jerky to me, but hey, as long as it costs less the MTA might as well -- completely doesn't matter what I think on something as tiny as this. Shame though.

I actually like the sound of the DD's on the D60's. It's not an RTS, but it is still a DD!:cool:

NYCTF Exclusive!!!

This just in out of East New York!! The MTA is working on a proposal to retrofit an OG CNG with a Cummins ISL-G.

If the plan is approved, the Department of Buses will test and evaluate the new engine for a trial period. If all goes well, the entire OG fleet will swap out the Detroit Diesel DDs50G's for the Cummins!

As more info is available, you know ya boy ENY will keep you posted!!!

So stay tuned and keep it locked!!:)

About damn time!

• 9 months later...

It is official! After the lear long evaluation, MTA has decided they will extend the life of the Orion VII CNG fleet, and re-power all buses with the Cummins Westport ISL-G

This includes coach numbers 7560-7671, 7673-7690, 7692-7745, & 7747-7819. Buses 7691, and 7746 were re-powered last year.

I am also getting preliminary word that the TA may re-power some diesels as well, but I have yet to confirm any details of this information at this time.

Well, what that is is disappointing. Was really hoping they wouldn't go through with this, I guess we can expect to see repowers coming up early 2013-into 2014? Does this include re-certifying the tanks?

It is official! After the lear long evaluation, MTA has decided they will extend the life of the Orion VII CNG fleet, and re-power all buses with the Cummins Westport ISL-G

This includes coach numbers 7560-7671, 7673-7690, 7692-7745, & 7747-7819. Buses 7691, and 7746 were re-powered last year.

I am also getting preliminary word that the TA may re-power some diesels as well, but I have yet to confirm any details of this information at this time.

My money is on the D60HFs.

I second this. A lot of D60HF's (Especially in the Bronx) have lost power. They're not like when they first came in....

Manhattan too...the Tuskegee buses are a lost cause, somehow they actually managed to kill the 5500 buses, which aren't even old! Quill's fleet just gets beat to death; as far as I'm concerned, the only really good D60s are out of 126, specifically 5355 and some of the other 1998s.

Manhattan too...the Tuskegee buses are a lost cause, somehow they actually managed to kill the 5500 buses, which aren't even old! Quill's fleet just gets beat to death; as far as I'm concerned, the only really good D60s are out of 126, specifically 5355 and some of the other 1998s.

I'm gonna have to toss Gun Hill 5433 into that mix of good buses.

Archived