Questions bout the B49

Calvin

If you are referring to the S81, S84, and S86, it is because there isn't as much demand in the morning-many of the people south of the Staten Island Expressway take express buses to get to work on time, but in the afternoon, I would assume that some of those people take the local bus home because they aren't as rushed.

But they do operate in the typical local/limited-stop configuration: The limited-stop version runs the full route and the local is cut back. They should do that with the B49.

I dont get why the B49 Limited runs southbound to Kings borough CC only. can it run also to Bedford Stuyvesant?

well, minus the "only" part, you just answered your own question...

idc whoever wants to come in here & claim otherwise - and I've read some downright silly reasons in the past, in support of said stance too... but for the means of facilitating KCC students getting to school, that was the ONLY reason that B49 LTD was created... when that service first started, there were no more than 3 runs....

in the AM, towards South Brooklyn isn't what you'd exactly call heading in the peak direction....

the B49 LTD's all originate over there on empire...

guess they figure people that reside north of that point can make their way to the (S) for the (:P(Q) to the B1 (brighton bch)/ B49 ([lol, but people do this, coming from franklin av on the (S)]... sheepshead bay)

put 2 & 2 together...

what other route that has LTD service, only does so in one direction....

But they do operate in the typical local/limited-stop configuration: The limited-stop version runs the full route and the local is cut back. They should do that with the B49.

yeah, it can be construed as being bass-ackwards w/ the B49....

the non-LTD's run the "full" route, and as I stated in the post above, the LTD's start from Empire, and make limited stops up until Sheepshead Bay (:P(Q)...

^^ but it's absolutely gold how it's worded on the B49 timetable:

b49ltd.gif

in other words, they (the LTD's) only make all stops south of the Sheepshead Bay station.... see how they try to get you w/ the wording....

Anyway, as to what you're eluding to....

You know why they won't cut back the non-LTD's w/ the B49... because too many kids in the morning get off at stops in between Franklin/Fulton (inclusive) & Flatbush av, as the route runs in the vicinity of quite a number of schools... That, in turn, would slow down the commute for KCC students... Remember, it's not only KCC students using LTD's (obviously)....

so by trimming *some* of the fat, they start LTD's at empire, and w/e ridership that emanates north of it, they figure those riders take 49 locals, or (make their way to) the subway to the bus....

IMO, LTD service should've never started on that route in the first place....

yeah, it can be construed as being bass-ackwards w/ the B49....

the non-LTD's run the "full" route, and as I stated in the post above, the LTD's start from Empire, and make limited stops up until Sheepshead Bay (:P(Q)...

^^ but it's absolutely gold how it's worded on the B49 timetable:

b49ltd.gif

in other words, they (the LTD's) only make all stops south of the Sheepshead Bay station.... see how they try to get you w/ the wording....

Anyway, as to what you're eluding to....

You know why they won't cut back the non-LTD's w/ the B49... because too many kids in the morning get off at stops in between Franklin/Fulton (inclusive) & Flatbush av, as the route runs in the vicinity of quite a number of schools... That, in turn, would slow down the commute for KCC students... Remember, it's not only KCC students using LTD's (obviously)....

so by trimming *some* of the fat, they start LTD's at empire, and w/e ridership that emanates north of it, they figure those riders take 49 locals, or (make their way to) the subway to the bus....

IMO, LTD service should've never started on that route in the first place....

My guess is that the College complained that their students are late for class in the morning so the MTA figured this would get them there quicker. (Who cares when they get home? Hence it only runs one-way.) But if that's the reason, something still doesn't make sense. Why not run non-stop from the Station to the College, or better yet skip the detour to the Station altogether and run non-stop from Avenue Z and save another 5 minutes? The only reason for not doing the latter is that the buses still have room to pick up additional students at the Station.

I don't know enough to definitively state the limited shouldn't run at all or should be expanded to the PM too. Ridership in the evening might be more spread out so as not to warrant northbound Limited service.

Archived