West End Structure

dman1455

Did you ever think about why the west end was under rehabilitation? Well the reason is the structure has been deteriorating for a while. The cause of the deterioration is the R68's, they are so heavy that the structure can not hold them. So with this being said do you think the (D) line needs R160's? or... R179's when they come in.

Did you ever think about why the west end was under rehabilitation? Well the reason is the structure has been deteriorating for a while. The cause of the deterioration is the R68's, they are so heavy that the structure can not hold them. So with this being said do you think the (D) line needs R160's? or... R179's when they come in.

I highly doubt R68 car equipment is why the el is in need of rehabilitation....

I have heard from some people it did play a key role.

Well the cars are heavy as hell yeah but allowing them to run continuously on the line with such a problem would definitely raise an eyebrow.

I could be wrong though it is plausible...

Work is being done on the El from near 9th Av till it enters the yard because the supports were sinking into the ground. What they have been doing is removing the original under street construction, jacking up the supports and making new bases under the street to hold up the El.

Work is being done on the El from near 9th Av till it enters the yard because the supports were sinking into the ground. What they have been doing is removing the original under street construction, jacking up the supports and making new bases under the street to hold up the El.

Well from the capital plan there are 2 phases

Phase I 9th Avenue to 63rd St

Phase II 63rd st to Bay 50th

Since we're discussing the West End there are several things I wanted to bring up. They're tearing down the 60th/61st Street exits and rebuilding it so the exit has been closed since November but they'll reopen in April of the coming year. They are already putting in new framework for the new staircase at 60th and New Utrecht at the northwest corner.

Since we're discussing the West End there are several things I wanted to bring up. They're tearing down the 60th/61st Street exits and rebuilding it so the exit has been closed since November but they'll reopen in April of the coming year. They are already putting in new framework for the new staircase at 60th and New Utrecht at the northwest corner.

Also don't forget about the new elevators at Bay Parkway.

Shouldn't someone like me that lives by the West End Elevated knows what goes on around there because he walks by it everyday, and uses it for his daily transportation. Anyway the West End Elevated is getting rehabilated to allow it to last longer and to take out the weaker parts like the wooden staircases, poor walls, and poor platforms. When it's done it might spruce up the El a bit. They already poured concrete on the footings back at where I live on one side, but they didn't finish the other side yet, but from the looks of it they did a good job. The El did gain some new graffiti, but the (MTA) might just paint it out during the rehab. Otherwise the subway cars aren't doing any damage and has been sturdy ever since the day I rode on the El, and even before I was born it was doing it's job for a total of nearly 91 years, and it will do so for another 100's of years as long as it's maintained and properly cared for.

Anyway the Elevated structure most likely doesn't take any damage from the R68's that run on it everyday since the structure would oscillate and take the vibrations from the cars even from the occasional R160 so it doesn't damage the structure as long as the line can handle the cars which I think can so it isn't threatening the structure.

You shouldn't say something like that makes you look like a foamer, and the NTT's (R160 & and the R179 are heavier then the R68's because of their new and heavier equipment.

PS The (:), (D), and (N) with their R68's and R68A's would not see a replacement till the mid 2020's when the cars would start cracking up. So you can be quiet about it now and tell the other foamers out there this too.

I've seen stuff fall from the structure before...it makes a loud bang when it hits the floor :eek:

You shouldn't say something like that makes you look like a foamer, and the NTT's (R160 & and the R179 are heavier then the R68's because of their new and heavier equipment.

PS The (:), (D), and (N) with their R68's and R68A's would not see a replacement till the mid 2020's when the cars would start cracking up. So you can be quiet about it now and tell the other foamers out there this too.

Ok let's break this post down cuz there's a few things that don't seem right...

1st bold: how is that making him look like a foamer?

2nd bold: how do you know how much the R179s will weigh, let along look like? For all we know, they can weigh less than the R68s. And for all we know, the R179 order can be cancelled

3rd bold: how do we know that the cars will crack?

This is the second time I noticed that you contradicted yourself in a thread.

PS The (B), (D), and (N) with their R68's and R68A's would not see a replacement till the mid 2020's when the cars would start cracking up. So you can be quiet about it now and tell the other foamers out there this too.

LMFAO!! Dude like really? How am I a foamer? I was asking a question if the R160/R179 should go on the (D). I don't think you can read and I live on the west end so I know what's going on. It's called ask a worker not Wikipedia.

Alright my mistake. You people take things so seriously, and anyway since you were asking about the R160's, and the R179's no they won't go to the (D). The R160's would stay on the lines they are on now and the R179's are going to replace the R42's, and R46's so now you know where they are going to go on, and the lines with R68's and R68A's would not see a replacement till 2025 when the cars would see the end of their lifespans (that's what I mean by cracking up). Then the R2XX would replace them. It's the same with the R62's, and R62A's

LMFAO!! Dude like really? How am I a foamer? I was asking a question if the R160/R179 should go on the (D). I don't think you can read and I live on the west end so I know what's going on. It's called ask a worker not Wikipedia.

Dude, your not foaming. Don't worry about it. :cool: The West End could use the rehab work.

Alright my mistake. You people take things so seriously, and anyway since you were asking about the R160's, and the R179's no they won't go to the (D). The R160's would stay on the lines they are on now and the R179's are going to replace the R42's, and R46's so now you know where they are going to go on, and the lines with R68's and R68A's would not see a replacement till 2025 when the cars would see the end of their lifespans (that's what I mean by cracking up). Then the R2XX would replace them. It's the same with the R62's, and R62A's

Uh sorry but no. the R179's will replace the R42's of the J. From what I heard the first sets coming in will be A-B-B-A and then A-B-B-B-A. The R179's might go on the (D) but it's too early to tell. You have to wait and see.

So you can tell us for sure, that an R179 will never see service on the (D) Train?

Don't worry by the time the (D) gets new subway cars the R160's would already be 17 years old. They would already be considered old, but I do worry that the (MTA)'s future fleet would all look like R160's and R142's, and become extremly tasteless. I do hope the R68's and R68A's replacement would look something like the R110B so it would be unique, but then we would have to see.

Also I am not saying it a R179 would never see service on the (D) just I think the primary lines they would run on is where the R46's and R42's are currently running on. I think that any R179 (D) would be a reroute or a G.O.

Archived