West End Structure

dman1455

Don't worry by the time the (D) gets new subway cars the R160's would already be 17 years old. They would already be considered old, but I do worry that the (MTA)'s future fleet would all look like R160's and R142's, and become extremly tasteless. I do hope the R68's and R68A's replacement would look something like the R110B so it would be unique, but then we would have to see.

Also I am not saying it a R179 would never see service on the (D) just I think the primary lines they would run on is where the R46's and R42's are currently running on. I think that any R179 (D) would be a reroute or a G.O.

You don't know that. The only way to know is if your "back from the future" B)

Guest lance25

@Roadcruiser1: The only lines that anyone knows the R179s (if ordered) will run on is the (J) and (Z) lines, primarily because the potential order must contain new 4-car sets to run on the Eastern Division.

While I feel the rest should go to the (A) and (C) lines, they can literally go on any other line. Look at the R142 and R160 orders and the lines they were expected to go on.

No one knows where the R179s are going to be assigned. As a matter of fact it's unknown if it's still going to be ordered. The next possibility the (D) may get new cars is in the next decade and a half from now. How did this thread go from the West End El to R160s or R179s on the (D)?

Roadcruiser1 by the way the R179s are to replace the remaining R32s and R42s not R42s and R46s. The R46s will be replaced by the R211s in 2015.

Actually the R179 is official so now someone has to bid on the contract.

No one knows where the R179s are going to be assigned. As a matter of fact it's unknown if it's still going to be ordered. The next possibility the (D) may get new cars is in the next decade and a half from now. How did this thread go from the West End El to R160s or R179s on the (D)?

Roadcruiser1 by the way the R179s are to replace the remaining R32s and R42s not R42s and R46s. The R46s will be replaced by the R211s in 2015.

Yes LRG is right R179's are coming in. It's in the capital plan so you will see them.

Wait why doesn't Westinghouse take one of these contracts and build a R68 replacement that would look something like the R110B's it would be sweet, and it would be a blend of old technology and new technology. In fact it could have painted front and ends, and have the same body as the BMT/IND NTT's, but they would display a roll sign, and have railfanning windows. It could have have a interior similar to the R160's, and the steel and windows would be resistant to scratch graffiti and regular graffiti. You have to agree that a subway car like that would be sweet and different from any other NTT if it was built to look like that.

I am not trying to foam, but such a subway car can be unique. Someone should build a NYC Subway Car to look like that.

Wait why doesn't Westinghouse take one of these contracts and build a R68 replacement that would look something like the R110B's it would be sweet, and it would be a blend of old technology and new technology. In fact it could have painted front and ends, and have the same body as the BMT/IND NTT's, but they would display a roll sign, and have railfanning windows. It could have have a interior similar to the R160's, and the steel and windows would be resistant to scratch graffiti and regular graffiti. You have to agree that a subway car like that would be sweet and different from any other NTT if it was built to look like that.

I am not trying to foam, but such a subway car can be unique. Someone should build a NYC Subway Car to look like that.

Eh... no. I think the only ones who will bid is Kawasaki and Bombardier for the R179's.

And your telling people they sound like foamers? Pot and the kettle kid...

I have heard from some people it did play a key role.

I highly doubt it. R68s have only been on the West End line for 20-30 years. I don't think that's long enough to have a critical impact on the structure, given that there's other factors such as simple deferred maintenance that could have contributed to the deterioration of the el. Either way, the entire West End line is getting rehabbed so it's almost a moot point.

I do worry that the (MTA)'s future fleet would all look like R160's and R142's, and become extremly tasteless. I do hope the R68's and R68A's replacement would look something like the R110B so it would be unique, but then we would have to see.

I don't know why people (not you, in general) say the (MTA)'s fleet is going to look all the same one day. The R32s-R42s (60's) look the same interior-wise (1,600 cars), while the R44's and R46s (70's) all look the same (about 1,000 cars). Meanwhile, the R62/As and the R68/As (80's) all look the same both in terms of the interior and the exterior, when that total fleet size is about 1900 cars. Just because a lot of cars were ordered in the 2000's (R142/As, R143s and R160s is about 2800-2900 cars) doesn't mean the rest of the cars ordered in the future will look the same. Since the look of the subway cars has changed every decade, who says the subway cars of the 2010s will look just like the R160s?

I am sorry, but have you forgotten about the Jamaica Elevated. I am sure that I don't live by that line.

Yeah. They're working on it. It's currently the line with the paint chips, nuts, and bolts falling off and whose renovation was long overdue.

Yeah. They're working on it. It's currently the line with the paint chips, nuts, and bolts falling off and whose renovation was long overdue.

From all the years I've walked under the el, I've never seen or heard anything drop from the structure. I'm not saying nothing ever fell from the structure, but I just never encountered such.

It raining nails and bolts, it still needs to be repaired, and it has been neglected for a long time.

Yes it does need a rehab but you're seriously overexaggerating with the raining nails and bolts part. If that were the case the West End would no longer be standing.

Archived