Man gets trapped between (4) train & platform @ 14 St-Union Sq

w8Hou

I did say maybe they should and not just because of this recent incident. Anyway, I understand the MTA doesn't have much; if any; money to spare so I know a total rebuild of the station isn't happening and yes I agree one drunk idiot shouldn't be the cause.

The thing is though, the station over 100 years old and I think that if it could be rebuilt, it would have by now. I mean it's not like the TA order 1000 new cars and said "holy sh*t, there's a big gap at 14th Street!" I'm not even sure if it would be possible unless the station was moved north or south of it's current location.

I am not surprised this guy had too many beers but the picture certainly tells the story. Maybe they should just eliminate the gap fillers once and for all at 14 St.

Like INDman said the station is on a curve. When the station was first built a long long time ago, the station was much shorter and the original station wasn't on a curve, more like in the straight part of the station. But then the 1950's came in and ushered in longet train sets, so the station had to be extended (which on the downside closed the nearby 18 St station.) Since the station was right there in between those curves, they had no choice but to extend the platform into those curves and place gap fillers.

If you look at the station when a train is comming in while the gap fillers are still retracted, you'll see that its a pretty huge gap

Ok, then how do the people get on the train? There will be a huge gap, that's why the gap fillers ate there. Oh and don't say that the MTA should rebuild the station to eliminate the curve. Billions of dollars should not be spent because some drunk got crushed. I hope if this case goes to court, that the MTA fights it and does not settle because they can win this, he was drunk and it was his fault.

I'm not so optimistic for the MTA. There has been a precedent set where the judge only found the drunk one-third responsible for his injury (an amputation?) after an accident in the subway. The MTA ended up having to cough up money.

Oh and don't say that the MTA should rebuild the station to eliminate the curve. Billions of dollars should not be spent because some drunk got crushed. I hope if this case goes to court, that the MTA fights it and does not settle because they can win this, he was drunk and it was his fault.

I'd agree with all this if not for the fact the past year or so I feel like its every other week I'm reading about an incident involving that station. I think the TA should consider a station restructure at some point. Either way the TA is going to be spending money. Would they rather it be on the person who decides to file a suit or to cover their ass.

I think a lot of people would miss their underground connection to the (L)(N)(Q)(R).

I don't know about the geography underground, but 16 Street is still a part of Union Square. 18 Street doesn't seem too far away, and if the platforms are extended south it might be possible to connect it to a portion of the current 14 Street station and turn that part into a corridor.

Reactivating the 18th Street Station, lengthening it, and closing the 14th Street Station is the only way you could remove the wide gaps. It's better then spending billions of dollars building a new 14th Street Station when you already have a station next to it. Also Censin is correct. It might be possible to connect the existing 14th Street infrastructure and link it to 18th Street so people could transfer (it could be called the Union Square Passageway), but any of these ideas would result in the closing of the current 14th Street platforms. They could seal the current entrances and exits with concrete and cover up the platform in a wall of concrete so it would look like there was never a station there in the first place.

they are replacing the olds ones now.

the old ones were double tapping sometimes before fully extending.

either he underestimated or forgot the extender did not come out.

focusing on other things and not focusing on the right thing.

S/F,

CEYA!

Archived