Countdown clocks coming to Bklyn & SI buses

Via Garibaldi 8

According to the link below, the countdown clocks being tested on the M16 and M34 lines will be rolled out to Brooklyn next month and eventually over to Staten Island. I rode the M16 today a few stops and then just gave up and walked the rest of the way due to the traffic.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/12/mta_honcho_spreads_a_little_su.html

The one thing I was curious about though was I only noticed one countdown clock at all of the stops along 34th street. The only one I saw was at 8th and 34th where they put in a new shelter. My understanding was that all stops along 34th street at least would have countdown clock information.

So how exactly does the MTA plan on rolling out this service in boroughs like Staten Island which has a limited amount of shelters when compared to other boroughs? Perhaps they would use countdown clocks similar to the ones that they have along Pearl St? Otherwise I don't know how great it would be if you just have them at a handful of stops.

So how exactly does the MTA plan on rolling out this service in boroughs like Staten Island which has a limited amount of shelters when compared to other boroughs? Perhaps they would use countdown clocks similar to the ones that they have along Pearl St? Otherwise I don't know how great it would be if you just have them at a handful of stops.

They will expand the GPS tracking system. My guess is that there will only be clocks at the major locations (St George, Eltingville, Port Richmond), and then expand to all shelters.

Clocks along Pearl St???

They will expand the GPS tracking system. My guess is that there will only be clocks at the major locations (St George, Eltingville, Port Richmond), and then expand to all shelters.

Clocks along Pearl St???

lol @ those clocks along pearl st...

I know what Garibaldi's talking about there....

the ones that say "Connection time is", w/ the orange LED's, then it tells you the time under it...

That's all that is...

a fancy way of telling/showing commuters what time it is...

lol @ those clocks along pearl st...

I know what Garibaldi's talking about there....

the ones that say "Connection time is", w/ the orange LED's, then it tells you the time under it...

That's all that is...

a fancy way of telling/showing commuters what time it is...

I was just wondering if those could be an example of the sort of "countdown clocks" that would be used where there aren't any new shelters...

Clocks along Pearl St???

I was just wondering if those clocks along Pearl Street in the city could be an example of the sort of "countdown clocks" that could be used where there aren't any new shelters...

And what is also good about them is that they're relatively high up so they would be more difficult to vandalize, which could address Locomotion's concerns. I did notice one thing though... Someone in another post which I can't remember said that those clocks can be rather off. What confused me today is they had the clock showing that the M16 was "due" and we were waiting there a good 10 minutes before the bus actually did come because of traffic and such.

How do they go about determining how long it will take the bus to arrive as opposed to when it actually does arrive?

Just something else for vandals to vandalize. It doesn't make any sense to me. What they should have is an electronic map

showing where the bus is, there are too many variables involved with countdown clocks such as a bus picking up a wheelchair, getting stuck in traffic,etc.

If I recall correctly when I took the bus in Bologna when I was living in Italy, I recall them having the map showing where the bus was, as well as when it was due to arrive. Your argument about vandalism however seems to be contradictory because wouldn't vadalism be a problem with those electronic maps too?

According to the link below, the countdown clocks being tested on the M16 and M34 lines will be rolled out to Brooklyn next month and eventually over to Staten Island. I rode the M16 today a few stops and then just gave up and walked the rest of the way due to the traffic.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/12/mta_honcho_spreads_a_little_su.html

The one thing I was curious about though was I only noticed one countdown clock at all of the stops along 34th street. The only one I saw was at 8th and 34th where they put in a new shelter. My understanding was that all stops along 34th street at least would have countdown clock information.

:cool:

The Eltingville Transit Center, Ferry Terminal, CSI, Mall bus stops would be great places to have these clocks on SI. For starters.

Happy to see (MTA)(NYCT) catching up with Long Beach (CA) Transit:tup:

Archived