Airbus Imagines An INVISIBLE Passenger Plane (PHOTOS)

The Huffington Post - First Posted: 09-17-10 03:17 PM | Updated: 11-17-10 05:12 AM

What will airplanes look like in 2050?

Airbus' vision for the future of flight presents planes that are eco-friendly, self-cleaning, and see-through.

At the Farnborough International Airshow last year, Airbus unveiled the Airbus Concept Plane, an "engineer's dream about what an aircraft could look like in the long term future," explained Charles Champion, executive vice president of engineering.

The company's engineers have imagined a plane that could become invisible with the push of a button.

"The extraordinary design would allow travelers to look down on cities and landscapes thousands of feet below or gaze up at the heavens, giving them the sensation of floating unassisted through the sky," imagines the New York Post.

It would be lighter and slimmer than current planes, with semi-embedded engines, trim wings, and a U-shaped tail designed to "improve environmental performance or 'eco-efficiency,'" according to Airbus.

The plane would also be outfitted with anti-turbulence sensors, "morphing seats made from ecological, self-cleaning materials, which change shape for a snug fit," and cabins that could "transform" into offices, gardens, or bedrooms using holographic projections.

It would be quieter than other aircraft, and, writes Der Spiegel, "If the Airbus engineers have their way, future passengers may contribute to reductions in fuel costs themselves [...] Passengers' body heat would be collected and fed into onboard systems using heat exchangers."

slide_10763_141871_large.jpg?1295477254389

Choose your concept now.

Go to The Huffington Post for more photos, and information.

You know, I went through the article again and it just doesn't make any sense to me. However interesting it may sound, from an engineering standpoint, it doesn't sound possible. Not while being safe our fuel efficient at the same time at least.

@ 553 If you are afraid of heights, you shouldn't be on this plane anyway! Lol

You know, I went through the article again and it just doesn't make any sense to me. However interesting it may sound, from an engineering standpoint, it doesn't sound possible. Not while being safe our fuel efficient at the same time at least.

@ 553 If you are afraid of heights, you shouldn't be on this plane anyway! Lol

If they can build an invisible anything, I'd be impressed. Having said that, it'll be a cold day in hell when I fly on a plane where I can see the ground below my feet.

Archived