Transport of Rockland — Fare Hikes and Service Cuts

Amtrak7

TOR is implementing a set of fare hikes and service cuts, taking effect on April 1. Details:

-TOR fare increases to $2, TZx $3, transfer 50 cents

-Route 59: Nighttime service reduction (2 trips eliminated, 3 shortened)

-Route 91: Eliminate "direct" Haverstraw-Palisades Mall service

-Route 92: Eliminate Sunday service

-Route 94: Eliminate Saturday service

-Route 95: Eliminate 5 PM rush hour trips

-Route 97: Eliminate 2 roundtrips per weekday

-Loops 1, 2, 3: Eliminate Saturday service (for those unfamiliar with the system, Loops 1 and 2 run their full routes Sunday-Friday and limited service and routes on Saturday. Loop 3 is currently is a normal daily bus route.)

With these cuts, the 3 loops will probably be the only routes in the NY area to run Sunday but not Saturday.

Back in October, the Ferry Xpress route was eliminated.

http://co.rockland.ny.us/PublicTrans/MediaRelease.pdf

$3 for the TZx? This is bullsh*t. When I first started heading to the Palisades in 2007, it was $1.50. For that amount of money they better improve service.

At least it's better than $5.50 in NYC!

Really, rural transit should have higher fares, as ridership is lower so cost per passenger is higher.

Let's face it - $1 transit fare is becoming rarer, and $2 is becoming the new norm. Just like $2 a gallon gasoline has become the new norm.

A penny, nickle, dime, and quarter won't buy anything and a half-dollar hardly buys anything.

Please tell me where I can purchase gas for $ 2 p/gal.

$3 for the TZx? This is bullsh*t. When I first started heading to the Palisades in 2007, it was $1.50. For that amount of money they better improve service.

With all due respect FG driving from your neck of the woods from SE Queens to Palasdies is about at least $30 in gas filling up with a mid size car. Not counting the Tappan Zee or Lincoln/GWB tolls as well.

At least it's better than $5.50 in NYC!

Exactly.

you get more for your buck paying $3 on the TzX, than you do with ANY express route in the boroughs....

from suffern to white plains for $3 (although I do hate the bottlenecking that sometimes happen, heading out to MNRR Tarrytown) is still a bargain... compared to w/e the longest express bus route is in the outerboroughs, to $5.50....

Exactly.

you get more for your buck paying $3 on the TzX, than you do with ANY express route in the boroughs....

from suffern to white plains for $3 (although I do hate the bottlenecking that sometimes happen, heading out to MNRR Tarrytown) is still a bargain... compared to w/e the longest express bus route is in the outerboroughs, to $5.50....

Awaits FG reply?

Exactly.

It's not even a real express bus route. It makes local stops in Rockland County. The closest equivalent would be the Q50. And hardly anyone takes it end to end. People either take it from the mall to Tarrytown, the mall to White Plains, or Suffern to some intermediate stop in Rockland. The quality of the Palisades has declined and it's becoming more expensive to get there. Instead of going there three times a year I'll only go once.

It's not even a real express bus route. It makes local stops in Rockland County. The closest equivalent would be the Q50. And hardly anyone takes it end to end. People either take it from the mall to Tarrytown, the mall to White Plains, or Suffern to some intermediate stop in Rockland. The quality of the Palisades has declined and it's becoming more expensive to get there. Instead of going there three times a year I'll only go once.

Does one still pay the TZx fare if one is riding within Rockland?

Archived