Questions from an Anxious Rider

AnxiousRider

Hi All --

As my screen name here ("AnxiousRider") suggests, I don't love being in the subway. I suffer from panic attacks and generalized anxiety disorder. As such I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the subway system to help me feel more at ease riding on the train.

I read a thread here regarding how long people had been stuck in a train in a tunnel. If this scenario were to happen to me I would most likely suffer from a panic attack. So my question is -- what would happen then? What if a rider were to become ill while the train was waiting in the tunnel to get to the next station? I have heard - although I don't know if this is true - that the trains can only move in one direction although this makes no sense to me and I hope it to be untrue.

I also wonder - with most stations fairly close together, why doesn't one train wait in the station for the path to the next station to be clear before proceeding?

I also find it very frustrating that the announcements made on the train are often garbled and hard to hear and most often are not repeated.

Thanks

Rich

Hi All --

As my screen name here ("AnxiousRider") suggests, I don't love being in the subway. I suffer from panic attacks and generalized anxiety disorder. As such I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the subway system to help me feel more at ease riding on the train.

I read a thread here regarding how long people had been stuck in a train in a tunnel. If this scenario were to happen to me I would most likely suffer from a panic attack. So my question is -- what would happen then? What if a rider were to become ill while the train was waiting in the tunnel to get to the next station? I have heard - although I don't know if this is true - that the trains can only move in one direction although this makes no sense to me and I hope it to be untrue.

I also wonder - with most stations fairly close together, why doesn't one train wait in the station for the path to the next station to be clear before proceeding?

I also find it very frustrating that the announcements made on the train are often garbled and hard to hear and most often are not repeated.

Thanks

Rich

Kava is a herbal supplement that helps with anxiety. I take it before having a major presentation or business meeting.

I can't answer your first question because I simply don't know enough about emergency procedures, though the moving trains in the opposite direction deal isn't done because there's most likely a train behind you, and the last thing they need is two trains inadvertently coupling together (among other reasons).

They try to hold trains in stations until enough space in front clears, but there's also the other trains behind you that need to get moving. In a perfect world they could do that, but the world isn't perfect sadly. And the automated announcements have made it easier to hear the conductor in the event anything happens.

I hope this video helps some: http://www.mta.info/nyct/evacuation/evacuation.htm

Take care dude. Btw, welcome to the forums.

Many times what they do is,if there is a train stuck at the station (i.e stalled train sick passenger) the first part train will go into the station and everyone who wants will exit the train through the first half door.But usually they wait at least 15-30 min for this to occur.I also have an anxiety problem.Its not easy.Sometimes ill take longer routes places, if i feel there is a less chance it will happen.Or outdoor routes ill take so at least i can talk on the phone etc...And about the direction in some cases i think they can reverse direction if i'ts absolutely necessary.

Have you seen a psychologist about strategies for dealing with types of possible problems?

In all likelihood, you would not get stuck in a tunnel- there are the usual delays of 4 or 5 minutes when the trains get backed up and sit in the tunnel for a brief time, so you would need to be prepared for those. But of course, there is always Murphy's law...In a real emergency, you would need to be prepared to walk across the tunnel (though that is something most people are somewhat scared of doing, so you would not be alone)

In the case of a medical problem, you (or another passenger) can contact the conductor using the emergency phone panel in the newer trains (e.g. those on the (E) and (F) lines. Unfortunately, there is not much the conductor could do other than call EMS to have an ambulance waiting for you at the next station. And in the older trains, there is no way to call the conductor.

You can look into whether you could take an above-ground train, such as on part of the (7) or (A). Hope this helps.

What do you mean by "Do ride in a car often" ? Do you mean a regular automobile car or a subway car? Because of my anxiety I have been avoiding the subway unless I am traveling with someone.

I suffered from anxiety attacks or something of the sort in my college years as I was extremely stressed out during my freshman year w/all of the changes and not having decided on a major. I started taking meds but threw them away after the first time using them. Made me feel funny. I haven't taken anything because I've learned how to cope better w/stress and unfamiliar situations. Of course it's natural to be nervous and such and I still get nervous at times, but you can't let these things overtake you because in the end at times there is nothing you can do. B) In sum, I no longer suffer from such attacks even though I'm sure this was something I inherited since I had other family members who suffered from the same thing.

Truth be told, they didn't just go away. I just indulged in things that would calm me down. Drinking for example relaxes me and relieves stress so maybe that's what you need is a few drinks every now and then. :P Or perhaps some "brownies" as someone else said.

Just know if you're in the railcar, you're safe. Even if the lights all go out and the train gets stuck, either someone will come to get the train in a work motor, or you'll be evacuated. If you're in a river tunnel, they may not do either, and try to get the train moving under its own power. The river tunnels are not very safe to walk in, so evacuation would be an unattractive option, and the lack of ventilation would make a work engine also a measure of last resort. The chance of being stuck anywhere in normal weather is very, very low. In most instances if you're stuck on an elevated portion of the system they will try to bring in a rescue train due to the hazards of walking there.

In short, it's really nothing to worry about day to day, but when it's really, really like over 100 degrees hot, or heavy blizzard snow, you might want to take a bus instead.

- A

While for the most part the following trains can be held in stations there are procedures for moving trains against the normal direction of traffic. Also, there are procedures for walking passengers along the roadbed, when necessary.

Millions of people ride the subways daily, weekly and yearly - without incident.

The over-whelming majority of these people have NEVER BEEN IN A SITUATION WHERE THE TRAIN HAD TO BE EVACUATED, OR HAD TO WALK ALONG THE CATWALKS OR OTHER MIS-HAPS!

Those things are extremely RARE occurrences! Forget the scary movies or other scenarios - they are so RARE - that the most likely happening on the subway is that you will get to your destination healthy, on relative time, and probably bored with the experience.

Just keep that in mind.

Mike

Hi Everyone --

Thanks for the thoughts / advice.

First, I can't drink or have "special brownies" as I would be taking the subway to and from work. I always travel with water and medication to calm myself down and I also understand that the possibility of any kind of incident happening is very low. However, my goal really is to better understand what would happen in the event of a long wait that triggered a panic attack.

I am in therapy but in the past with issues that have caused me to have anxiety I have found that the more I learn and know about the particular thing the less anxious it makes me. I guess in my head the knowledge I have makes me feel like I have more control over the situation.

Part of my therapy is also attempting to "humanize" the subway - remembering that it is operated by people and that it is not a automated machine. At times, however, it feels to me as though the conductors are not always approachable and the booth attendants are rarely pleasant and so its hard to feel "warm and fuzzy" about the subway as a whole.

Rich

Archived