The New Jamaica & 126 Street depots

East New York

About 3 years ago, I posted that Jamaica and 126st depots would be torn down and completely rebuilt. Finally, we have some concrete, confirmed information on these two upcoming projects.

First order of business: New Jamaica Depot, which will be located on Merrick Blvd. Phase 1 of the construction is set to begin in 2012. I am also being told the new depot will support articulated buses!!:cool:

(MTA) - This project will replace the existing Jamaica Depot with a new bus depot. Work will include construction of adequate shop, office, and storage space and the installation of equipment such as bus lifts and washers. This is phase 1 of the overall replacement project.

Second order of business: The New 126th Street Depot, which is still in the beginning stages, and said to be located at it's existing location. Demolition of the old depot, is not tentatively set for 2013.

(MTA) - This project is for preparatory work related to the replacement of the existing 126th Street Bus Depot located in the borough of Manhattan. Work will include the demolition of the existing structure, performing environmental remediation work, and design of the new depot.

old info, 126 St construction has been put off until 2015 because of that African-American burial ground.

I could have sworn the thread started with "About 3 years ago..."

And as far as the burial ground goes, I know that as well. The project is supposed to move forward in 2013, with construction in 2015.

I could have sworn the thread started with "About 3 years ago..."

And as far as the burial ground goes, I know that as well. The project is supposed to move forward in 2013, with construction in 2015.

I assume you go by that MTA Captial Dashboard info... that needs a update. 2015 is the new date and I really doubt that since MTA's history of chronic delays.

I assume you go by that MTA Captial Dashboard info... that needs a update. 2015 is the new date and I really doubt that since MTA's history of chronic delays.

Img going off contacts, not the dashboard. I previously posted that most of that information is outdated. Especially the info on buses. I have however used it as a reference and comparison to what I have been told a few times.

More like when MCH is open for business or even reopen Amsterdam depot again.... then there is "silly" issue with the TA and OA depots.

Mother Clara Hale should reopen in that time, but since 126th is not a MaBSTOA depot, that could cause problem with unions.

Mother Clara Hale should reopen in that time, but since 126th is not a MaBSTOA depot, that could cause problem with unions.

But they are both in the same union. They aren't going to have a choice really. I as well would love to see what goes where. I know the M15 can't go to Amsterdam. I could see that route being split between 100 St. and Quill. Either way this will be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

I saw the other thread and thought, isn't 126 getting redone? :cool: And here's our info.

I was actually just talking to a B/O about this whole scene, what a mess that's going to be. You figure MCH opens back up in maybe 1-2 years, then 126 closes in two years. There's going to be a big, big change in equipment. You figure at least two or so MHV routes will go to MCH, which will mean CNGs will become commonplace in Manhattan, and then, well, we'll have to wait it out. But it sounds like it'll be interesting. Really wonder where the M15 will go too, I'd assume that goes to 100th and the M86 goes to MJQ. Never know though.

CNG's in Manhattan??:confused:

If basically any buses go from West Farms to MCH, then that wouldn't be impossible. The Bx19, Bx21 and the Bx33 are all former MCH routes that are currently out of WF. Let's say those go back to MCH along with the M1 and maybe the M7. Then MHV takes some of 126's routes, and what would happen is that you'd see O7 CNGs in Manhattan running on the M1 and the M7.

Naw. CNG's wouldn't go to MCH though. They wouldn't be able to fuel them.

Oh, I thought MCH was getting tanks as part of the rebuild? In that case, I s'pose you'd just see a mix of hybrids and maybe a few ancient O5s if there're still a bunch left when the depot opens.

I never heard anything about MCH getting CNG tanks, but that doesn't mean they aren't. When did you hear that?

I could be completely wrong, but I do think I heard that. Still, good be wrong on that. I guess we'll just have to wait and see in the end, it's a while away.

True. I heard it would be diesel, but you could definitely be right. Now you got me thinking! If we are getting 549 new CNG's, that leaves us with a surplus of 114 buses when they come in. So that means one of three things. Either more routes will be going to CNG depots, MCH is getting CNG's, or some of them will go to LIB. But I HIGHLY doubt the latter.

Now I'm really curious! I'm going to have to look into that!

I could be completely wrong, but I do think I heard that. Still, good be wrong on that. I guess we'll just have to wait and see in the end, it's a while away.

True. I heard it would be diesel, but you could definitely be right. Now you got me thinking! If we are getting 549 new CNG's, that leaves us with a surplus of 114 buses when they come in. So that means one of three things. Either more routes will be going to CNG depots, MCH is getting CNG's, or some of them will go to LIB. But I HIGHLY doubt the latter.

I heard something similar a few years ago, but my memory of it is pretty vague. I always figured it would stay as a bio-diesel garage when it comes back, but we'll see.

DONOTWANT_Vader.jpg

The only good thing about the NGs is the VAPOR door that everyone still pushes open. And if that latter thing happens, it'll be those godawful OG CNGs.

Archived