General Motors' Rapid Transit EXperimental

TransitStop

rtx001fe6.jpg

General Motors' Rapid Transit EXperimental

- Design started in '64-65; built between '68 & '69

- First implementation of modular body concept

- Low floor, 40', three-axle design with Firestone LXX tires

- Co-operation between GM Truck & Coach, GM Research Labs

- Powered by GM GT-309 gas turbine coupled through toric-type (CVT) transmission (same powertrain as TurboCruiser III)

- First display of kneeling suspension on GM coach (?)

- Interior was designed as suburban-style; used mostly high-back bucket seating

- Design directly influenced GM's Transbus entry in '73

- Presumably scrapped by GM in late '70s (bus was shown at Transpo '72), was NOT rebuilt into any of the three Transbus prototypes.

Thanks so much for posting that!

Back in 1968 or 1969, I arranged to take on my vacation, a tour of the Flxible plant in Loudonville, Ohio, and the GMC Truck and Coach plant in Pontiac, Michigan.

The tour of the GM Coach plant was very nice, and was conducted by an official of the plant. After a good couple of hours of studying and photographing various transit, suburban, and intercity GM models, and the assembly lines in action, I was thanking my host, so generous to take time from his work day. just as I was about to depart, he said wait a minute. He then made a phone call and came back to me. He said that he would need to hold my camera for a few minutes and I was to follow him into an inner room into the plant. We went inside the dimly lit room, and then he closed the door and hit a switch.

Suddenly lit by a series of floodlights stood the experimental RTX!!

It made every other bus I had ever seen look obsolete. He allowed me to take a long look, but no photograph.:drool:

Needless to say, it was the highlight of my vacation, and seeing that photo brought it all back to me.:P

• 2 weeks later...

Archived