Subway car bucking

TrainFanatic

Sheeseh I love the bucking of some subway cars.The Best Bucking or the hardest bucking I've experienced is riding the R-142A's on the (6).Once they take off you'll hear BOOM.

The hardest and loudest bucking from my experience are the R-46's on the (A).

The R-68A's have continuous bucking in the Bronx I swear sometimes it seems the train is hitting the tunnel or platform especially going downhill coming in Tremont N/B local to Fordham it's non stop.Best is in the back of the train 7th or 8th car.

But what causes is the amount of power whether the T/O wraps it up or takes off smooth.Also uphill trains use a lot which causes to buck a lot(Uphill from Burnside to 183rd) a lot of bucking.

You know? That big jerk the train makes once it starts moving, esp prevalent in the old cars such as the 32's. What causes this to occur? Ntm lately I've been on a few 160's w/ the bucking start, but more so heard the sound from the outside than felt it as I was riding it.

It's caused by one or more cars taking excess power and pushing into the other cars. It's very normal and also happens alot with the R160s when they go over a section break at slower speeds since other cars are taking power while one car is not. It usually happens when a train is leaving a station.

T/O Danny Doyle: "It's the train. She bucks all the time. She's a dog."

(The Taking of Pelham One Two Three, 1974). :P

Must of happened a lot back in the 70s and 80s. Especially the IRT when cars from R12-R36 were mixed with each other. Wonder how much bucking the R21s did.

The train bucked because it was being operated in the first point of power (switching) which is NOT and operating point of power. If you do that for long enough, you can melt the grids and set fire to the train.

The train bucked because it was being operated in the first point of power (switching) which is NOT and operating point of power. If you do that for long enough, you can melt the grids and set fire to the train.

Is that why the T/Os, when crossing a switch, take that first point of power but then coast afterward?

Is that why the T/Os, when crossing a switch, take that first point of power but then coast afterward?

No, switching will only get the train to move between 3 and 5 MPH maybe 7 if your lucky. Chances are they are going into the 2nd point until they are going fast enough, since the speed for switches is 10 MPH unless other wise posted. Usually switching is used for making short moves like keying by a signal or making an add.

If you think subway trains "buck", you should have been a freight train conductor or flagman riding the caboose of a 100 plus car freight train back in the day. When the train started, and due to the slack between the couplers, whoa doggie! when the caboose was finally jerked to a start!

If you think subway trains "buck", you should have been a freight train conductor or flagman riding the caboose of a 100 plus car freight train back in the day. When the train started, and due to the slack between the couplers, whoa doggie! when the caboose was finally jerked to a start!

That's not the same thing, that's slack action in the coupler.

That's not the same thing, that's slack action in the coupler.

Maybe so, but it sure "bucked" like a wild bronco. You had better be hanging on when it happenned, or it would literally throw you out of your seat!

In the last years of cabooses, they actually had seatbelts installed.

Sheeseh I love the bucking of some subway cars.The Best Bucking or the hardest bucking I've experienced is riding the R-142A's on the (6).Once they take off you'll hear BOOM.

The hardest and loudest bucking from my experience are the R-46's on the (A).

The R-68A's have continuous bucking in the Bronx I swear sometimes it seems the train is hitting the tunnel or platform especially going downhill coming in Tremont N/B local to Fordham it's non stop.Best is in the back of the train 7th or 8th car.

But what causes is the amount of power whether the T/O wraps it up or takes off smooth.Also uphill trains use a lot which causes to buck a lot(Uphill from Burnside to 183rd) a lot of bucking.

You Are Right That Happens On The IRT Some IND Cars And Most BMT Cars.

Worst bucking i've experienced was on a thoroughly worn out R40 pair. Second to that would be an R32. The ride both instances was quite jarring and unpleasant. I was riding them for not a short distance too..

- A

• 2 weeks later...

Do the new techs have that feature where if one car is off the third rail, the other cars increase the power to the motors to "compensate" for the dead car(s)?

In the last years of cabooses, they actually had seatbelts installed.

Cabooses or cabeese?

Do the new techs have that feature where if one car is off the third rail, the other cars increase the power to the motors to "compensate" for the dead car(s)?

No idea at all, I know they buck alot when you go over a gap leaving a station because you get 9 or 7 pushing 1 while it's not taking power. I'll have to ask around and see if anyone knows.

Archived