Buses in training

Via Garibaldi 8

Today on my way to Whole Foods, I spotted three RTS' by Union Square all with B/Os in training. They all had about 3 or so "passengers". I spotted 4936 (didn't see out of which depot), a bus out of QV, one out of 125th street and then another one on my way back to the office out of ENY. In the past I've also noticed training buses around there. Is that for some sort of specific training of a dry run of a certain route like say the M3? They all come from that direction and head up Park Ave South.

Also the "passengers" what do they serve as? Are any of them also in training?

They are doing there day 5 or 6 of training.They are doing city driving which is crucial cause this will determine if they become Bus Operator. I forget the exact Route they run but i know it starts near Astor Place runs up Park Ave then Left in the low 30's area . The route is called Moose maze, after a Superintendent that was head of training for NYC transit that created the route.

Today on my way to Whole Foods, I spotted three RTS' by Union Square all with B/Os in training. They all had about 3 or so "passengers". I spotted 4936 (didn't see out of which depot), a bus out of QV, one out of 125th street and then another one on my way back to the office out of ENY. In the past I've also noticed training buses around there. Is that for some sort of specific training of a dry run of a certain route like say the M3? They all come from that direction and head up Park Ave South.

Also the "passengers" what do they serve as? Are any of them also in training?

One is the instructor telling the driver where to go , and i think the others are training too . I saw a driver training on 5110 and there was an instructor telling him where to go and there was 4 people on that bus ( instructor , driver & 2 other people , so i guess they were training with him too & the driver was a male & the 3 days were females .

That is correct, they have 4 students on the bus along

with the instructor(a superintendent). Sometimes

a student will drop out before the training is completed.

Once they pass, they pick into a depot of their choosing

the following week, but if there are no openings they

get sent to wherever they are needed. It's all based on

seniority(list number from the exam).

Then they just have 3 weeks of line training(driving with

a another B/O) to learn the different routes from the depot.

I've seen RTS's training at Nassau Coliseum sometimes. I believe there were 2 buses there. It was weird enough seeing the MCI's go to Mitchel Field but it's even more strange to see RTS's out on Long Island.

Lucky you, I had the misfortune of being ON a training bus on the N35. It was raining, too, and the new guy seemed pretty nervous. The bus operator training him was pretty calm, though we arrived at Hempstead late.

I know I saw an RTS doing LIRR service (or a picture of it), but I don't think I'll ever see any active RTS buses on LI.

That is correct, they have 4 students on the bus along

with the instructor(a superintendent). Sometimes

a student will drop out before the training is completed.

Once they pass, they pick into a depot of their choosing

the following week, but if there are no openings they

get sent to wherever they are needed. It's all based on

seniority(list number from the exam).

Then they just have 3 weeks of line training(driving with

a another B/O) to learn the different routes from the depot.

To get a B/O that doesn't know his way in NJ if the Goethals Bridge gets shut down. The guy meanders all over the place... The hour commute usually turns into two...

To get a B/O that doesn't know his way in NJ if the Goethals Bridge gets shut down. The guy meandors all over the place... The hour commute usually turns into two...

I can picture that. To me driving in New Jersey is hell, meaning I get lost very easily. Although I wouldn't be surprised if many Staten Island B/O's live in NJ.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Lucky you, I had the misfortune of being ON a training bus on the N35. It was raining, too, and the new guy seemed pretty nervous. The bus operator training him was pretty calm, though we arrived at Hempstead late.

I know I saw an RTS doing LIRR service (or a picture of it), but I don't think I'll ever see any active RTS buses on LI.

Unless its a CNG model (which isn't made anymore), you'll probably won't see any out there. I do have a shot of one in Mineola on from the LIRR cutover

Archived